BeerAdvocate magazine #101 (June 2015)

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,642) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

About the Cover:
    Melissa Antone of Avery Brewing Co. tags Steph Cope and Steve Brockman's van, which the two drove as traveling brewers. Read about their adventures and more in this month's feature; Amber Highways.

[​IMG]

Inside:

Beer Smack by Jason & Todd Alström
    The Gamification of Beer

Beer News

Innovation by Lisa Morrison
    Elevating Beer

Shelf Talker by Courtney Cox
    Mikkeller's Book of Beer by Mikkel Borg Bjergsø and Pernille Pang

Label Approval by Courtney Cox
    Burning River Pale Ale from Great Lakes

Zymology by Joshua Rapp Learn; illustration by Abigail Borden
    Secrets of the Stomach (New research seeks to understand precisely how our guts digest yeast)

The Business of Beer by Abra Cohen
    Drink. Share. Brew.

Unfiltered by Andy Crouch
    Late Breaking

Fermented Culture by Ron Pattinson
    Berliner Weisse (part two)

BYOB by Drew Beechum; illustration by Ellen Crenshaw
    Dry and Sour

Cuisine à la Bière by Sean Z. Paxton
    Croquettes From Around the World (Part 1)

Kindred Spirits by Justin Fox, Beverage Director at Bangers & Lace in Chicago, Illinois
    The Maiden Search

Table Mates (pairings by Celina Tio)
    Friend Cauliflower with Chermoula

Barkeep by Austin L. Ray
    Julian's in Providence, Rhode Island

9 Steps to Beerdom by Paul M. McMorrow
    Nathan Zeender, Head Brewer, Right Proper Brewing Company

From the Source by Nora McGunnigle; photos by Taylor Seidler
    New Orleans Lager & Ale Brewing Company

Beer Destinations by Kristen Pope; illustration by Sam Brewster
    Missoula, Montana

Feature by Brian Devine
    Amber Highways (Brewers hit the road in search of knowledge and new opportunities)

Feature by Jessica Boak and Ray Bailey; illustrations by Joe Waldron
    Swanky Beer (The strange history and surprising diaspora of a lost style)

Feature by Scott Haas
    Biiru o Nihon Onegaishimasu! (Two Beers, Please! Exploring Japan's Budding Beer Culutre)

Beer Reviews by Jason & Todd Alström

Last Call (interview by Courtney Cox)
    Dana Garves, Founder, BrewLab

Subscribe today! (Print/US only):
    http://store.beeradvocate.com/products/beeradvocate-magazine-print-subscription

Digital via Google Play Newsstand:
    https://play.google.com/store/newsstand/details?id=CAowsZVm

Back Issues:
    http://store.beeradvocate.com/collections/beeradvocate-magazine

More:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/mag/

As always ... thanks for reading!

Cheers!

2. MKozaka

MKozaka Disciple (318) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

Those foeders on the back are gorgeous! Anyone know of small scale (assuming that's the target market) breweries using those?

Cubatobaco likes this.
  3. Keene

Keene Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2009 Washington

I don't know where they got them, but Haw River Farmhouse Ales in North Carolina has a pair of small foeders. Check it out:

MKozaka likes this.
  4. hawriverales

hawriverales Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 North Carolina

We ordered them direct from Tonnellerie Radoux in France and had them shipped over for us. These are 30hL apiece for two of our brett-based "year-round" beers (our flagship Saison and our Belgian-style Double IPA), so we wanted to make sure they were as clean as possible without any bacteria or other unwanted bugs in the walls (we intentionally inoculated each with a particular strain/mix of brett, but no bacteria in either). Tasting great so far (the virgin batch of each has yet to be pulled) and we're excited about getting them into full rotation this summer.

5. d3brewing

d3brewing Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2014 California

So I just subscribed to the BA magazine. Not because of the great articles, homebrew recipes, or best of lists. It's because every time I go to the BA homepage I see this month's cover with the super cute Melissa Antone from Avery. They need to (or should do again if it's already been done) a girls in brewing edition. I'll always keep coming back for the beer, but girls and beer? That will keep me waiting @ the mailbox for the next issue.

kerry4porters likes this.
  6. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Initiate (127) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

^I have many friends who would argue equally for a "dudes of brewing" calendar.

Related note: I volunteered at EBF in February and took a photo of Sam Calagione and posted it to FB. At least 10 of my female friends, none of whom had any idea who he was, responded along the lines of "who the hell is that hottie?"

So the demand is there across all sexes and demographics :slight_smile:

7. Keene

Keene Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2009 Washington

Thanks for subscribing. We don't have any plans for a "ladies of brewing" edition (or a "Hunks and Hops" edition for that matter), but our covers will continue to feature the men and women who make the craft brewing industry awesome.

Rebecca, creepinjeeper and Todd like this.
  8. StartedwithSAM

StartedwithSAM Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 Virginia

I really enjoyed the feature on Swanky Beer and the continued piece on Berliner Weisse, really great reads even for a layman such as myself.

Keene and Todd like this.
  9. ejimhof

ejimhof Poo-Bah (1,872) Apr 12, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I was not sure where to post this but I have not seen it anywhere else so I wanted to see if anyone noticed that the beer review for Surly Doomtree talks about it being a bitter when it is really a Belgian Style Pale Ale?

Geuzedad likes this.
  10. Jason

Jason Founder (8,354) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Society

I've haven't heard Belgian Pale Ale yet though I have seen it listed as an ESB, Bitter, Biere De Garde, & Belgian IPA. From Surly's website: "Surly suggests, a “bastardized style” that will build on a classic, but buck convention." I never really tasted anything Belgian about it.

From that it sounds like they are simply toying with us a bit, I did email them on it but no reply back. American Bitter is the best I could come up with being "American" ... that can be nearly anything. ;-)

Geuzedad and Todd like this.
  11. ejimhof

ejimhof Poo-Bah (1,872) Apr 12, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Jason, Thanks for the reply. For some reason when I google Doomtree I get this: Doomtree is a Belgian Pale Ale style beer brewed by Surly Brewing Company in Brooklyn Center, MN. 85 out of 100 with 282 ratings, reviews ... but I don't see this on the review page. I was just not sure if the review got mixed up with Bitter Brewer.

Geuzedad likes this.
  12. Todd

Todd Founder (6,642) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Google caches content. If you look at the actual listing it's been updated. Mistakes like this happen when dealing with a lot of users and their opinions on what things should be.

Geuzedad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.