Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Magazine BeerAdvocate magazine #108 (January 2016)

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,534) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber Beer Trader

On the Cover:
    Van Carney, pictured, and his brothers Lain and Jennings opened Virginia's Pen Druid Brewing in August. Read more about new breweries to watch on pg. 48. Photo by Kate Thompson.

Subscribe: http://www.beeradvocate.com/mag/

[​IMG]

Inside:

Beer Smack by Jason & Todd Alström
    Dear Hop Head

Beer News

Innovation by Lisa Morrison
    It's All Fizzics

Shelf Talker by Courtney Cox
    The Hop Grower's Handbook: The Essential Guide for Sustainable, Small-Scale Production for Home and Market by Laura Ten Eyck and Dietrich Gehring

Label Approval by Courtney Cox
    Chiberian Warmer from Arcade Brewery

The Business of Beer by Patrick Archambault
    Crowdfunding with Equity: Craft Breweries Will Soon Have a New Way to Close the Funding Gap

The Blending House by John W. Mitchell
    Recreational Marijuana Finds Traction in Shadow of Craft Brewing

6 Degrees of Fermentation as told to Ben Keene; illustration by Brett Affrunti
    Geoff Larson on Alaskan Smoked Porter

Unfiltered by Andy Crouch; illustration by Chi-Yun Lau
    The Wait

Fermented Culture by Ron Pattinson
    German Porter; Part One

BYOB by Drew Beechum; illustration by Ellen Crenshaw
    Cosmic Fluff

Cuisine à la Bière recipes by Sean Z. Paxton
    Eat Like a Viking

Kindred Spirits (recipe by Brian Lindner, Beverage Director & Eric Selander, Confluence Brewing Co. Head of Sales RöCA, Des Moines, Iowa)
    Confluence "Double You"-IPA

Table Mates (pairings by Chef Michael Bilger, Sessions at the Presidio)
    Panela Cheese Dumplings with Cilantro-Jalapeno Pesto, Sweet Corn and Pepitas

Barkeep by Austin L. Ray; photos by Layla Calo-Baird
    The Outer Space in Hamden, Connecticut

9 Steps to Beerdom by Paul M. McMorrow
    Jason Pellett, Co-founder and Brewmaster, Orpheus Brewing

From the Source by Bill Babbitt; photos by Tony Cabilovski
    Temperance Row Brewing Company

Beer Destinations by Kristen Pope; illustration by Sam Brewster
    Fort Collins, Colorado

Feature
    Class of 2015

Beer Reviews by Jason & Todd Alström

Last Call (interview by Courtney Cox)
    Javed Murad, Founder, White Owl Brewery

For more BeerAdvocate magazine: http://www.beeradvocate.com/mag/

As always ... thanks for reading!

Cheers!

pja786 and foundersfan1 like this.
  2. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (414) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I am really anxious to see which breweries made the list this year.

Switz_Pirate and creepinjeeper like this.
  3. jpellett251

jpellett251 Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2010 Georgia

This is probably my favorite issue yet!

4. Keene

Keene Editorial Director (880) Sep 11, 2009 Washington
    Staff Subscriber

Really? What sets this one apart? :wink:

creepinjeeper and jpellett251 like this.
  5. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Champion (840) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri
    Subscriber Beer Trader

My issue just arrived. This month's Beer Smack, "Dear Hop Head", really resonates. I, for one, can't seem expand my horizons past IPA's and stouts. It reinforced my 2016 resolution to taste outside of my style comfort zone. I know there's a big beery world out there just waiting for me ... along with the rest of this issue.

6. thorkelson

thorkelson Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2014 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Able Seedhouse & Brewery!!!

7. dlcarst

dlcarst Aspirant (255) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I love the letter to hop heads, but it should include bba stout heads and white whale hunters who live by the assumption that non bba stouts are boring and rarity directly correlates with quality.

8. SteadyHabitBrewing

SteadyHabitBrewing Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2015 Connecticut

First off, let me just say I am a huge fan of BA, BA magazine and the Alstrom Bros. What Ive seen over the years is that Todd and Jason stand up for what they believe in, aren't afraid to speak up if they don't agree with something and always are well educated about the subjects they are passionate about. I strive to be that way but sometimes it's hard because you don't want to look like a jerk, if youre in the business you don't want to turn people away from your establishment, so on and so forth. So, with that said, and a little or more like a lot of inspiration from the Bros. in not being afraid to speak up, I want to speak up.

I know that the title, "33 Best Breweries of 2015," may be a little more light hearted than it seems so I won't rant too long, hopefully! I'll just sum everything up, I have nothing against the CT breweries who were chosen, I have actually spent a little time with 2 of them personally (brewing a collab in 2 days with one of them) and respect the other one a lot. I am just wondering if this list was based on ratings/reviews or personal preference of the authors? Either way, I applaud those that did make it and look forward to heading into our second year of brewing.

Can't wait to be a part of the "Microbrew Invitational" in June, and am very grateful and honored that we were invited! Cheers!

Pahn and Todd like this.
  9. Keene

Keene Editorial Director (880) Sep 11, 2009 Washington
    Staff Subscriber

Thanks for speaking up. For the past few years the number of new breweries has continued to grow (in 2015 it was well over 600), making our task of profiling a noteworthy handful of them evermore difficult. That said, we build our annual "best of" list by surveying hundreds of beer journalists and beer advocates from around the country—in fact we encouraged members to nominate their favorites right here in our forums. There are certainly other new breweries with promise and you can be sure than some of them will end up in the pages of the mag in 2016. Cheers!

dpool and Todd like this.
  10. SteadyHabitBrewing

SteadyHabitBrewing Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2015 Connecticut

@Keene absolutely, there are alot of great breweries. I can only speak for my state however. Cheers!

Keene likes this.
  11. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,456) Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

if you surveyed me, i'd give a nod to steady habit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.