Magazine BeerAdvocate Magazine FAQ

Discussion in 'Help Resources' started by Todd, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,507) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

riversglow likes this.
  2. Todd

Staff

*** Important Updates ***

New Subscription Service & Customer Portal
    As part of our continued efforts to create a better BeerAdvocate magazine experience, we've successfully migrated to a new subscription service.

You now have access to our magazine customer portal. You can use this to manage your subscriptions, like changing your address and updating your payment details. And by logging in and updating your payment details now, you'll be setup for automatic renewals in the future to help ensure that you never miss an issue.

https://beeradvocate.chargebeeportal.com
    • You'll be issued a one time password (OTP) via email.
    • Enter the OTP.
    For security purposes you'll need a OTP for each login session.

Why doesn't the new service show my entire subscription/renewal purchase history?
    Due to limitations with our previous system, it wasn't possible to migrate your past order history. The only details that were migrated over were your name, email, address, start date (entered into our previous system), end date, and your subscription plan at the current price (not the price you originally paid).

Why does my invoice say March 13th or 14th, 2018 when I subscribed before this?
    That's the date that your subscription was migrated into the new service. You were not billed again.

Did you bill me again?
    No. You were not billed again.

What if I don't want to automatically renew?
    If you were imported from the old service, do nothing. Don't enter your billing info.

Otherwise, you can set your subscription to cancel at the end of the billing cycle via the customer portal. But doing so will require you to log in, renew, and set your subscription to cancel at the end of each billing cycle going forward.

Does the new service accept PayPal?
    Not at this time.

Quarterly, #131 and #132 Updates

Starting with issue #132 (Spring 2018), BeerAdvocate magazine will be published on a quarterly basis.

Where is #131 (December 2017)?
    Shipped April 9, 2018.

Where is #132 (Spring 2018)?
    The shipping cycle began May 11, 2018 in batch format. The last batch was mailed on June 15th. If you're still waiting for it, please give USPS some time to deliver before reaching out to us.

If you subscribed after December 26, 2017, your first issue will be #132 (Spring 2018), as it was noted on the old BA Store subscription page.

How is getting fewer issues a good thing?
    Quarterly issues will offer readers a larger trim size with more pages, and more high-quality art, design, and writing, with a focus on long-form journalism and in-depth reporting. Things we couldn't fully achieve with the monthly format due to various constraints. We’ve listened to feedback from subscribers and are determined to publish a magazine that’s better than ever, and required reading for passionate fans and industry professionals.

We've also added six months to the end date for those impact by the delays with issues #130 and #131.

Why the price increase?
    For years we undersold—and subsequently undervalued—the magazine to compete with other publications, but no more. We're estimating that it's going to cost us upwards of $3 to print and ship each quarterly issue. And while printing and postage costs have been rising annually, our subscription rates haven't.

From there we need to pay freelance writers, photographers, and illustrators a competitive wage. What about advertising? That helps to pay our full time staff, healthcare, and a slew of operational costs. It all adds up and before long a $9.99 subscription price becomes unprofitable.

When do the quarterly issue come out?
    Subject to change, here's the current schedule for 2018:

Q1: Ships in March May
    Q2: Ships in June end of July
    Q3: Ships in September
    Q4: Ships in December

3. Todd

Staff

General

Why should I subscribe? And especially to print when the magazine content is online?
    Great question, and here are some great reasons:
    • You'd like to support BeerAdvocate.
    • You're looking for the feel of a print magazine and a layout that offers more for the eye; from better readability to more photos.
    • You prefer your reading materials to be free from an Internet connection and power source; truly mobile.
    • You'd like to get our content first, instead of waiting for it to be posted online.
    • John Oliver says you should.
    Do you sell BA mag at retail locations / newsstands?
    BA mag is currently available by online subscription only.

How do I advertise?
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/advertise/

4. Todd

Staff

Print Subscriptions

How do I subscribe to the print version?
    Go here: https://www.beeradvocate.com/magazine/

How do I log into the customer portal?
    Go here: https://beeradvocate.chargebeeportal.com
    • You'll be issued a one time password (OTP) via email.
    • Enter the OTP.
    Once you're successfully logged in you'll be able to manage your subscriptions, addresses, billing info, etc.

How do I renew my subscription?
    If there's a valid credit card associated with your account, you'll be automatically renewed. If there isn't, or your subscription was canceled, you can log into the customer portal to apply billing information or reactivate canceled subscriptions.

How do I change my mailing address?
    You can do so via the customer portal. While the update is immediate, you may miss an issue if you waited too long to update your address with us.

Can I send a gift subscription?
    Yes. https://www.beeradvocate.com/magazine/ (Scroll down to "Gift Subscriptions.")

Do you accept international print subscriptions and renewals?
    Yes, but additional fees will apply.

If I subscribe now, what issue will I start with?
    Please see: https://www.beeradvocate.com/magazine/

When do issues ship? When can I expect my first issue?
    Depending on scheduling, issues ship in March, June, September, and December. It can take 2-20 business days to reach subscribers in the US or longer for international orders. We're constantly working with USPS to improve the lag time, so please be patient.

What if my magazine never arrived?
    Delays and errors can occur, and we're sorry for the inconvenience. Please contact us to report the issue, and include the name, email, and address associated with the order.

My issue arrived damaged. What's up with that?
    Damaged issues do happen. Reasons can range from handing at the printers to USPS sorting/delivery handling issues. We apologize if this has happened to you. Please contact us to report the issue, including all of your relevant subscriber info.

When does my subscription end? How many issues do I have left?
    Your next billing (expiration) will be listed on your billing history (most recent invoice) in the customer portal.

Do you send sample issues or a free trial?
    Not at this time.

Do you sell back issues?
    Yes. While supplies last in the BeerAdvocate Store.

Do you offer bulk / discounted rates?
    Not at this time.

How do I cancel my subscription?
    You can do so by logging into the customer portal.

Can I get a refund?
    No. We don't offer refunds, or partial refunds, on subscriptions.

Why isn't my account synced to my subscription? Where's my user "Subscriber" banner?
    We had to deactivate these features due to migrating to a new subscription service. We'll be exploring solutions in the future.

What's the deal with Founding Subscribers?
    Founding Subscribers was a one-time deal from May 2006 to October 6, 2006 with the promise that subscribers during the timeframe would never pay more than $19.95 per year, for life. International shipping fees may apply. Offer becomes invalid if the subscription expires.

5. Todd

Staff

Digital Subscriptions

Do you offer a digital version?
    Yes. For Apple and Android users.

Get it on Google Play Newsstand
    For Android and Google Chrome. (Recommended for Android users.)

Get it on Magzter
    For Apple (iPad/iPhone/iPod), Android, web, and more.

Regional, OS, and platform limitations may apply.

I already subscribe to the print version. Can I get the digital version too?
    Not at this time. Print and digital versions are offered and operated as completely different services.

Who do I contact about my digital subscription?
    You'll need to refer to the appropriate help for your digital service of choice. Look in the app for help tools or the above links for more.

6. Todd

Staff

Contributors' Guidelines

How can I contribute content to BeerAdvocate magazine?
    While we welcome pitches from new writers, we encourage interested contributors to refer to the following guidelines before contacting the magazine:

We don't have a strict set of guidelines, but we do look for short news items, profiles and features with a timely, hard news angle on topics that haven't been covered before. And we prefer to work with experienced journalists, so please send a few published clips with any queries. We're looking for writers who can tell us what our readers need to know, why, and why now. Also, we typically don't consider pitches that revolve around beer releases or events.

Keep your pitches brief, and make sure they're error free before you hit "send." We aren't interested in unsolicited manuscripts and we will not consider previously published work. Please check out some back issues before emailing editorial@beeradvocate.com your best story ideas.

Thanks for your interest.