Dismiss Notice
We're bringing our Belgian Beer Fest back to Boston June 22nd & 23rd!

Learn More

Magazine BeerAdvocate Magazine Goes Quarterly

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Dec 27, 2017.

1. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,599) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I am fine with the change in format. I enjoy reading the magazine and always enjoy the content. The price difference doesn't bother me at all. I am interested to see the FAQ post that Todd mentioned above. My current subscription doesn't expire until 2020 and I bought a friend a gift subscription a few weeks ago as an Xmas present.

The mentioned higher quality design, art, format will make it more likely I keep them, display them, put them on my bookshelf.
    hopley, Squire and Todd like this.
  2. jjboesen

jjboesen Meyvn (1,133) Feb 1, 2002 Maryland

As a subscriber to "All About Beer," I can assure that a quarterly publication is no big deal.
  3. dutch05

dutch05 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2006 Arizona

I am currently waiting for my last issues to arrive, haven't seen Oct yet, and yes, my mailing address is up to date. Hopeful you can take care of that for me.
  4. Todd

Todd Founder (5,455) Aug 23, 1996 California

As per the FAQ, please email store@beeradvocate.com or simply reply to the most recent email update so we can properly look into the issue.
  5. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,332) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Well, if you scored a bottle of CBS this year and bought it rather than a couple of Sixpacks of something like Bell's Two Hearted (or some other enjoyable off the shelf beer), you already know.
    VABA likes this.
  6. cockroach45

cockroach45 Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2006 Virginia

No problem with change to frequency and price. As a beginning subscriber, i have every issue and have longed for an index of articles and especially of beer reviews. Any chance of this? Would gladly pay a reasonable price.
    Todd likes this.
  7. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (4,693) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Premium Member

I am one of those people who don't mind change, I just don't like being there when it happens. Like many commenters, I lack a coffee table and liked the monthly version - it was one of the few beer mags I actually read cover to cover most issues. When I adjust to it being different, i am sure it will be fine.
    Todd likes this.
  8. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (70) Dec 5, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

Cosmo Kramer beat you to it about twenty years ago.
  9. KRubes

KRubes Disciple (331) Sep 7, 2014 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

ISO: Coffee Table.

All kidding aside, looking forward to the update. I don't mind the price increase as long as the content is up to par (which I know it will be). I struggle keeping up on a monthly basis with a young family, so I'm interested in the new format and will continue to support.

After reviewing the top read articles of 2017, I imagine we should see more Andy Crouch, @Todd? :wink:
  10. ppoitras

ppoitras Poo-Bah (3,839) Jan 15, 2004 Massachusetts

With change in format, will Founding Subscriber lock-in price no longer be a thing?
  11. eppCOS

eppCOS Defender (610) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Premium Member

As someone with like... 3 coffee tables around the house, I look forward to the new format, presentation, and length. Will certainly give it a long, good honest try before not subscribing. To many more years, BA!
    VABA and Todd like this.
  12. Todd

Will still be honoring it. Details will be posted and emailed to all active Founding Subscribers this week.
    ppoitras likes this.
  13. mikecollins

mikecollins Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2011 Maryland

I'm in publishing (not beer related) and the landscape definitely is challenging--everywhere. What you're doing makes sense on several levels. Just go into this with a realistic view of potential digital/online ad revenues...if you can get it up to 10 percent of your print income, you're doing an *exceptional* job. Yes, the digital world's economics are *that* different. As a subscriber, I don't mind if some of my subscription payments help to subsidize worthwhile online content...but I hope that the majority of it is behind a firewall/paywall, recognizing my investment.
    EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  14. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,040) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Any update on when we may see the November/December issues? Just curious.

15. hoosier222002

hoosier222002 Defender (637) May 23, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Not to be a jerk but can we get a reply to this? Don't recall last time I received an issue.
    Samlover55 likes this.
  16. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (1,879) Feb 24, 2008 New York

17. Witherby

Witherby Initiate (136) Jan 5, 2011 Massachusetts

The OP (Todd) posted on December 27 that “November is shipping as I type, and we'll be pushing December to subscribers in January.” At some point this was edited to read:
    “November is shipping ASAP, and we'll be pushing December to subscribers soon after. “
    We are being patient, but it would be nice to get an update in a response rather than an edited original post.
  18. Todd

Unfortunately more delays impacted our ability to deliver issue #130 (November 2017) as we hoped back in December, but I'm pleased to announce that #130 is being dropped in the mail today.

Subscribers will receive a more detailed update via email later today. I'll be updating the FAQ, too.

In the meantime, we appreciate everyone's patience during this transition and as we push to get back on track.

19. fermentedbarley

fermentedbarley Disciple (340) May 22, 2012 New Hampshire

Still my go to magazine for beer news. I'm sad about the quarterly thing but as long as you keep publishing all the great info, news, columns, etc...I'll continue to be a faithful subscriber....
    Todd likes this.
  20. scream

scream Zealot (510) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

November finally arrived today.
    JakerLou, dbrauneis and Todd like this.
  21. beer_beer

beer_beer Disciple (385) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Premium Member

Subscribed. Not just for the coffee table!
    Keene, Jason and Todd like this.
  22. hopley

hopley Champion (887) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

There will always be improvements that can be made to the magazine, and as @SLeffler27 astutely points out, BA has done a great job at adjusting to this evolving environment of digital and print journalism. I am wholly supportive of the changes and can’t wait to see the new look.

In my opinion, when you combine the BA website with BA magazine, you've got the best in the business – between these two, I believe there is more content available than in any one source anywhere. Triply so if you start to follow the links provided by helpful contributors of the forums. Sure, everyone goes to Untapped for ratings when they don't see them here, but you’re never going to find better reviews than on Beer Advocate. And yeah, I pick up a Draft Magazine or another ‘zine now and then for a different spin on things, but nothing compares to the expertise and passion of the BA editorial staff and their guests. I add “passion” because I believe that is one of the things that distinguishes the Alstrom Brothers from others in the beer industry, or at least beer journalism. They love it, live it, and breathe it – and have done everything they can to keep the website free, and the magazine coming to us in one form or another, at least for as long as I have been involved. Cheers!
  23. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,255) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Premium Member

OK..so I was a subscriber and now see that the tag is missing. I have no idea when the subscription ran out - but the subscribe thing tells me I will be automatically renewed. So did I miss something I was supposed to do?
  24. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,241) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

25. Todd

See here: https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...er-and-info-no-longer-being-displayed.562351/
    Automatic renewals are for "new" subscriptions only. Over the last month we've been migrating to a new subscription platform to better manage subscriptions. As of this morning that process is now complete.

Under "Subscriber Resources" you can "Manage Your Subscriptions." Upon logging in you'll see that yours doesn't run out for a while. You'll also be able to change your address and enter your billing info. Doing the latter will set your subscription to auto-renew.

We'll be sending a big update about the migration to subscribers soon.
    Squire and LeRose like this.
  26. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,772) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

I'll wait for the update. I'm not going anywhere and neither is BA.
  27. JoePasko

JoePasko Initiate (116) Mar 10, 2018 New York

The time has not come where I bring my computer into the bathroom with me. I need my magazines.