BeerAdvocate Magazine Wins at North American Guild of Beer Writers Awards

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Keene, Sep 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keene

Keene Editorial Director (853) Sep 11, 2009 Washington
    Staff

ba-mag-nagbwa-2015.jpg

(Denver, CO – September 29, 2015) Two BeerAdvocate contributors won prizes in Denver on Saturday, September 26 at the third annual North American Guild of Beer Writers Awards. Drew Beechum, whose work has appeared in the magazine since issue #1, placed third in the Best Short Form category for "The Belgian Highlands," while Aleszu Bajak, who has written for BA since 2012, won first prize in the Best National/International category for "Unlocking the Secrets of Smell." Coincidentally, both articles appeared in the February 2015 issue of the magazine (#97). It is the first award from the guild for Beechum (who also earned a second award this year for his homebrewing book with Denny Conn), and the third consecutive win for Bajak.

Read Their Work:
    "The Belgian Highlands" by Drew Beechum
    "Unlocking the Secrets of Smell" by Aleszu Bajak

Debuting in 2013, the competition hosted by the North American Guild of Beer Writers (NAGBW), honors the best writing, blogging and broadcasting about beer and brewing. Winners are announced each fall at The Great American Beer Festival in Denver. This year, members of the beer media submitted more than 200 entries in nine different categories. In addition to Beechum and Bajak, BA contributors Jeff Alworth, Lisa Morrison, Will Hawkes, Brian Yaeger, Sarah Bennett, Jessica Boak, Ray Bailey, Eric Gorski and Joshua M. Bernstein also earned awards on Saturday. Congratulations to all 27 winners.

About BeerAdvocate magazine
    Launched in December 2006, BeerAdvocate was then and still remains the only monthly beer magazine in circulation. Filled with timely news, candid interviews, in-depth features and beer reviews from the Alström brothers, it’s required reading for passionate fans and industry professionals alike. For more information, and to subscribe, visit http://www.beeradvocate.com/mag.

About The North American Guild of Beer Writers
    The NAGBW has members from the US, Canada, the UK and Europe. Guild membership is open to all writers and content producers who cover beer and brewing, although industry and associate memberships are both non-voting categories. For more information, visit http://www.nagbw.org.

###

2. TwoTrees

TwoTrees Disciple (314) Oct 31, 2012 Washington

Beer journalism has reached 'Guild' status?

It appears I need to re-examine my career choices...

3. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (7,763) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Awesome! Congrats to BA Magazine and the authors.

patra7 and creepinjeeper like this.
  4. DrewBeechum

DrewBeechum Meyvn (1,288) Mar 15, 2003 California
    Premium

It is constantly weird to read my last name only. :slight_smile:

5. telejunkie

telejunkie Aspirant (240) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

Congrats Drew!

LuskusDelph likes this.
  6. abkayak

abkayak Disciple (329) Jan 8, 2013 New York

7. rgordon

rgordon Champion (872) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Being somewhat old-fashioned, I still receive National Geographic, Smithsonian, and Beer Advocate. I love print media and derive much of my info from magazines. Beer Advocate is a fine publication and receiving recognition is a wonderful achievement. Cheers!

JavaNoire, Rebecca, PatrickCT and 4 others like this.
  8. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Champion (808) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

I was quite fond of these articles, especially with “Unlocking the Secrets of Smell.” In part because of its shout out to Carton, and the elegant description of “the hop bomb:”

“Carton points to a subcultural of craft beer that’s fixated on building beers around aromas: the hop bomb. He’s not referring to a resiny, syrupy beer infused with as much hops as possible. To Carton, a hop bomb is a beer designed completely around aromatics. Unlike Alchemist Heady Topper or Alpine Duet IPA, which draw hop character all the way through, hop bombs are stripped down to, in Carton’s opinion, ‘short lived aromas through dry hop additions,’ whether it’s a dank piney sensation or a tropical punch to the face.”

…Congrats to BA and of course the Authors

JavaNoire, Rebecca and Todd like this.
  9. HopBelT

HopBelT Meyvn (1,161) Mar 18, 2014 Belgium
    Premium Trader

Congratulations and cheers on that !

creepinjeeper likes this.
  10. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 California

That's funny, those are the only three l subscribe to, too! (Although, since Rupert Murdoch took over NG, that might be the end for me and them...)
    I was a subscriber early on to BA and had to cut out all magazines for a cash-strapped while. Now times are a bit better and am happy to have had a solid subscription for a few years now. It is nice to know there is still quality in print. Plus, it is much easier to deal with a magazine in my 4' x 6', one-seat study. (Sure it has a toilet, sink and shower, but it is still my study)

Todd likes this.
  11. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri

Congratulations all on an excellent magazine and that someone recognized that!

LeperJim, jhartley and Todd like this.
  12. jhartley

jhartley Poo-Bah (2,427) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Congrats guys! The only beer publication you ever need to read.
    I should really renew my subscription!

13. LeperJim

LeperJim Savant (907) Feb 10, 2008 Ohio
    Premium

Congratulations! BA magazine definitely lives up to it's name and has the same good energy as the site.
    Keep up the great work!

Todd and Keene like this.
  14. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Zealot (503) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Congratulations! Very well deserved!

15. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Meyvn (1,035) Nov 3, 2013 California

Congratulations and Cheers !

16. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Disciple (342) Mar 13, 2011 Illinois

Rolling Stone, The New Yorker, and Beer Advocate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.