Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Events BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational, June 3-4, 2016 in Boston

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,534) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber Beer Trader

[​IMG]

A Celebration of Old-School, Small-Batch Brewing

(December 21, 2015 - Boston, MA) BeerAdvocate (BA) is proud to announce its first ever BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational held at the Seaport World Trade Center on June 3–4, 2016 in Boston, Mass., featuring a carefully curated lineup of beer (plus other fermented beverages) from some of the world's finest microbreweries.

Microbrewery?!
    Originating in the United Kingdom during the 1970s, the microbrewing attitude and movement was adopted by the US beer scene in the '80s and '90s as an alternative to the corporate breweries that had dominated the market for decades. Its definition has remained unchanged and uncompromised by interpretation.

microbrewery [noun]
    a brewery that produces less than 15,000 barrels (465,000 gallons) of beer per year.​

"Before 'craft beer,' waiting in lines, anti-social ticking, hoarding, hipsters, neckbeards, trolls and selling out plagued the beer scene there was microbrewing. We're talking old-school, small-batch brewing that my brother Jason and I cut our teeth on 20 odd years ago. With the BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational, we return to these roots," says Todd Alström, founder of BA. Founder Jason Alström adds: "Hell yeah!"

Mission and Approach
    The BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational aims to bring awareness to the microbrewers who are the diversity and soul of what beer represents today. Each invited microbrewery will brew a unique beer to premiere at the fest, and brewer attendance is required to ensure the highest level of representation and education. And, as always, BA pays for the beer.

Tickets
    Tickets go on sale Saturday, January 9 at noon EST for $55 per person (plus fees) and include all beer tastings and access to one of three sessions: June 3 (6–9:30 p.m.), June 4 (1–4:30 p.m. and 6–9:30 p.m.). Limited to 2,500 tickets per session. All attendees must be 21+ with a valid ID.

For updates follow @BeerAdvocate and visit: http://www.beeradvocate.com/micro/

###

2. Todd

BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational FAQ

What happened to American Craft Beer Fest?

It's taking a break.

Why is American Craft Beer Fest taking a break?
    We felt it was time to switch things up.

Why are there less brewers than American Craft Beer Fest?
    It's a different concept with different goals. And while the lineup is half of what ACBF was, it's much tighter. Regardless, you'll still only be able to try a fraction of the beers.

Why did you raise the ticket price?
    We raised tickets $5 in order to compensate for years of no increase, while our costs increased everywhere else; venue and union fees, the beer, etc.

What microbreweries plan on attending?
    Look for updates in the new year.

How can our microbrewery participate?
    While we welcome and appreciate your interest, this fest is strictly invitation only. Please keep this in mind when contacting us, as well as the definition.

How can I volunteer?
    We'll be posting a call for volunteers in the new year.

Helpful Links
    Event page: http://www.beeradvocate.com/micro/
    BA Events: http://www.beeradvocate.com/events/
    Event on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1766212173599967/

More updates to follow...

3. jhavs

jhavs Meyvn (1,465) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

This sounds awesome. Hope they all try to outdo each other with the unique beers for the fest!

Jason and Mr_Moe like this.
  4. Mr_Moe

Mr_Moe Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

Sounds great, Not sure if I should wait for the line up or just purchase a ticket already.

Jason likes this.
  5. Kemosabe

Kemosabe Initiate (129) Aug 22, 2009 Rhode Island

I like this idea. each brewery to have a fest-specific beer, with the brewer in attendance. very cool. I wonder if breweries will bring just one, or if theyre invited to bring more than one unique brew.

Mr_Moe and Jason like this.
  6. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Devotee (497) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

So no neckbeards allowed?

bostonwolf and Kemosabe like this.
  7. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (1,700) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I would certainly love to attend, and would gladly pay $55 for a ticket. Unfortunately, I can't afford traveling there.

Should be fun though!

Jason likes this.
  8. JayArras

JayArras Initiate (0) May 10, 2009 Connecticut

Maybe we should all move to Boston!

9. msween21

msween21 Aspirant (233) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I really think that this is an amazing idea. It takes all the best parts of ACBF, and makes it the entire event. It's always great to talk to the brewer and see how passionate they are about their beer. I also think that each brewer having a unique beer just for this event will result in a more even distribution of the lines. I can't wait.

Todd likes this.
  10. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (413) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I was thinking the same thing. 20 beers seems like it may be too few to support a 2500 ticket fest, but who knows.

Kemosabe likes this.
  11. Todd

The one beer is mandatory. They're welcome to bring whatever they want beyond that. And we're aiming for 70+ micros and 250+ beers.
    We've got it covered; see above. This isn't our first beer fest. :wink:

RobNewton, Kemosabe, Nordbier and 5 others like this.
  12. Mosant

Mosant Aspirant (284) Jun 29, 2014 Australia

Sounds great, wish I was in America then!!

13. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Savant (979) Nov 3, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I need to plan a trip to the east coast soon and hit some of these beer events.

14. Nordbier

Nordbier Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

This is the weekend before I get married... Should be one hell of a last hurrah!

15. beergrrl

beergrrl Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2003 New Hampshire

Would be nice to see more than half of the 70+ custom brews NOT be one of xIPx/RIS/fakeSaison

keithmurray likes this.
  16. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (413) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

good luck with that. Demand is too high for those styles

beergrrl likes this.
  17. lambpasty

lambpasty Devotee (479) May 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I love the ACBF but 600+ beers can be overwhelming. This sounds like a pretty cool go-between, I think I'll be going.

18. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,577) Sep 2, 2012 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Will these "other fermented" beverages be mead and cider?

19. Todd

Yes, and hopefully some sake too.

20. emannths

emannths Initiate (193) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Any chance you could elaborate on why?

21. Todd

The press release covers all you need to know.

22. emannths

emannths Initiate (193) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Ok. I suppose I'll be eager to see how you'll select your invitees to get "microbrewers" that don't attract the line-waiting, anti-social ticking, hoarding, hipster, neckbeard crowd. Something tells me they weren't buying ACBF tickets because Sierra Nevada was there.

Since the focus is on hands-on brewing, with brewers in attendance, hopefully you can weave some brewing-related programming in besides informal, boothside conversations. I'm sure MA prohibits homebrewers from sharing their stuff, but maybe a pro brewer talk or two on a very specific topic or technique? Or a talk about the specifics of how brewing on commercial scale equipment differs from homebrewing...? Maybe require brewers to give in-depth detail on how they brewed the fest beer (e.g., malt and hops types and quantities, mashing and fermentation times and temps, etc)--it could go in the fest guide or on a poster at each booth.

LaxDove likes this.
  23. brewandbbq

brewandbbq Poo-Bah (2,280) Apr 24, 2003 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Is there any more info on ticket sales for tomorrow/link?

24. Todd

We'll be posting an update by tomorrow morning, prior to ticket sales.

25. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (148) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

So, switching it up? ACBF became too large? Is the 15,000 barrels an arbitrary number or an actual term? Inquiring minds need to know. "Worlds Finest"? Looking forward to some of that over seas goodness. Thanks.

26. Todd

As per the press release, it's part of the actual definition. And year one will be US-centric.

27. Todd

28. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,456) Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Awesome Steady Habit, Other Half, and Cambridge Brewing Company are reason enough for me to get tickets.

Todd likes this.
  29. Todd

And so many more to follow ...

30. LADaveBN

LADaveBN Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Same weekend as the Firestone Walker Invitational. Coincidence I'm sure. :wink:

31. Todd

We've been hosting a ACBF on that same weekend (more or less) for 8 years, so ...

32. LADaveBN

LADaveBN Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Fair enough. Wasn't a knock. Just caught my eye is all.

33. Janeinma

Janeinma Devotee (420) May 24, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

confused can you define fake saison...

34. Janeinma

Janeinma Devotee (420) May 24, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

nice idea but I really hope this goes to more of the drier UK type styles than the diabetes inducing US ones. Though I did like shaftesbury(?) from VT and Far from the tree both of which have ciders in the style I prefer...

35. beergrrl

beergrrl Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2003 New Hampshire

make something, call it "saison", just because

36. Patrick_in_DC

Patrick_in_DC Initiate (0) May 8, 2015 Virginia

I felt when I went to ACBF it was WAAAAAY too Boston (New England) centric... fair enough but its not an east coast answer to GABF. Is this an attempt to expand the geographic scope? If so, I may have to take another vacation to my parents couch in Massachusets.

Selfishly, I wonder if Washington DC would be the sweet spot for a massive beer fest. Not a traditional beer market but its a central point on the east coast. I'd love to see a more proper "Eastern US" type shindig. N. Carolina or Philly also makes sense.

37. Ultrarunner100

Ultrarunner100 Disciple (305) Oct 13, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Can't wait to see the brewery list. Time to crunch numbers and geek out!!!

38. Kemosabe

Kemosabe Initiate (129) Aug 22, 2009 Rhode Island

Geek out for sure. I was gifted a ticket...cant wait! I had/have to skip Extreme this year so I will be more than ready once this rolls around.

39. blisscent

blisscent Defender (674) Aug 16, 2015 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Would love to see many of the New England breweries who didn't stop by for Extreme, stop by for this one.

I am thinking of Lost Nation, Trillium, Mystic, NEBCO, Hermit Thrush, Oxbow, Austin Street, Bissell Brothers, Maine, Beer'd, Lawsons, Foley, Fiddlehead, and and so on.

- Just saw Medusa and Schilling are already on the list :wink:

Some Eastern New Yorkers like Bacchus, Plan Bee, Peekskill, and Single Cut would also be nice to see. Too many to choose from, I'm sure.

#39 blisscent, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    Kemosabe and jhavs like this.
  40. trostlerp

trostlerp Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2016

My friends and I are still planning on going for our 4th year in a row, but can I get the reasoning behind cutting the amount of breweries participating/beers available in half, but charging almost ten dollars more?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.