Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

BeerAdvocate mobile beta: Testers Wanted

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Mar 15, 2013.

1. BearsOnAcid

Beer Trader

Seems to be happening to lots of people. Similar thing happens when you open that sidebar while looking at other pages

2. jbdpsu82

Beer Trader

Nice effort, but I will stick with the full site on my phone's browser; simply because of the Inbox and Alert availability.

msubulldog25 and weatherdog like this.
  3. maxcoinage

Beer Trader

Suggestion: add something like this to the header so that when a user adds a shortcut to the bookmark of the mobile side, a custom icon will appear: <linkrel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" href="image.png" />

EDIT: Notice the difference between the bookmark to beermenus mobile site and BA's. I just looked on their site to compare the difference. it appears that it pulls <linkrel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" /> but it's encapsulated in the "Bookmark" Icon. I guess it works that way but just seems better to me as a stand alone icon.

[​IMG]

4. nxg125

I'm on a Nokia Lumia 920 running Windows Phone 8. I'm not seeing any images on my phone:

[​IMG]

Navigation and searching are working ok, seems to be just the images themselves that are missing.

5. IcemanCometh

Downloaded it on my iPad and all I'm getting is a grey screen...

6. Franch

Beer Trader

even in beta it is better than RB's mobile site.

7. gklover1

Beer Trader

When I touch the back button, my search defaults back to the top and I have to scroll down again. I would prefer if it took me to where I left off in my list.

Hope that helps.

8. RockAZ

Beer Trader

Thanks, much easier to search for beers than just the regular BA web page and this is 99% of what I would want your app to do for me - So I am happy! Push it to a full app one day please!

9. ptrc

you can use pushstate to handle the back button & history while still relying on ajax.

10. afrokaze

Beer Trader

Having the same issue on my Droid DNA (Verizon), otherwise things are looking good! live search is cool and the beer profiles look nice. Any way to make the BA and back buttons the full height of the upper bar? they're kinda hard to hit, even on a 5 inch screen.

11. robod

After selecting 'want' for beers, how do I access my wish list?

12. sjverla

OK - so I can get it to work only by using the QR scan and it has to keep running in the scanning app. When I try to launch the app either from the web address (in Safari or Opera) or from the app itself, I can't log in.

Is anyone else with an iPhone 4s experiencing this?

13. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor
    Staff Member Subscriber Beer Trader

Nope - works fine from Safari for me.

14. Mike100proof

hope you guys include location where to find a beer.

15. williamjbauer

Beer Trader

I'm digging it, can't wait till I can scan barcodes or just photo the bottles or cans

Shagator and jbdpsu82 like this.
  16. jplopez21

Beer Trader

For some reason It's real choppy/laggy on my phone. Theres a significant delay when typing or when moving the slider. Anyone else having the same problem? It's actually quite annoying when moving the "had" slider. Takes quite a bit of concentration to get the correct rating

17. JonDeutsch

Dittos on the back button with Android. Every other website lets us use the back button as expected (so it's a learned behavior), but because the site is designed not to update the URL ever, Android sends you out of the BA web app. So, an issue.

Love the auto-complete functionality and the slider tools, etc. But respect Android's OS, please!

18. shadowyee

Awesome job so far on this. Just wanted to bring this to your attention. When I'm viewing a beer and then tap on the BA icon, some controls are overlapping the left navigation
    [​IMG]

19. bigedct

I would like to see the back button take me back to where I was, not the beginning of the prior screen. ie: if navigating to a beer thru the EBF/breweries/selected beer. Once you hit the back button you get to the start of the page. If you were at Weyerbacher, now your at 4 Hands and have to scroll down to the bottom. Although, like the app, I kept going back to 4 Hands as well!

20. musicsherlock

Nice job guys, looking forward to the finished model!

• getting the choppped/overlapped menu screen images with the slider etc (I'm on Android)
    • searched by Brewery and results were ordered in # of reviews from highest to lowest; would prefer alphabetical or highest to lowest rated (with retired filtered out as it is now)
    • in search results, would like to see pic, brief description and score
    • would like to see larger BACK button

21. meatballj626j

My only comment on the beta is to add a search bar at the top on the home screen. I took me a minute to figure out where find the search using Chrome on my mobile device. But it may just be me.

22. TotallyHosed

Beer Trader

How do you log out?

23. broodog

My Stuff (IPhone 5, IOS 6.1.0 jailbroken) The mobile site displayed and rendered perfectly! I like the beer profile pages. They look very nice! I'll be excited once you can actually load the reviews. I assume since it's in very early beta, no forums yet?

One suggestion (from a UX perspective). Get rid of the mobile site. Most people, myself included, don't like to navigate two completely different sites. One on the phone/tablet, one on the computer. Mobile internet browsers these days are very good at displaying full desktop sites. Personally, I'd like to have a BA app on my phone and tablet. And would like to be able to access beeradvocate.com (the full site) on mobile and computer platforms.

DavidHume likes this.
  24. mikeburd1128

I'm not very tech savvy, but if you're on an iphone, do you not get this message when you visit the site? :

[​IMG]

If you do this, it will no longer run through your browser and will run as an app.

Rissy likes this.
  25. kennethkearns

Just wanted to update that is now works. Thanks all!

26. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor

I like the improved back button graphic - makes a lot more sense to me (I initially thought the other graphic was to refresh the page based on the image).

27. Boilerfood

My thoughts after the first week of using it.

1)The autofill search is nice, albeit kind of slow.

2)Maybe this was said somewhere but are there a lot of pictures missing? If not perhaps there would be a way to use the same generic one like on the site so I dont spend time deciding if the page is still loading or if there is really no picture?

3) Being able to update gots/wants/hads quickly is awesome. Any news on when our individual lists might be accessible from the app?

4) I like that the size of the back button and BA button were increased. I found that with my phone in an otter box, the extreme corners of the screen tend to be hard to tap effectively enough for my phone.

28. Duff27

Beer Trader

How about a "push notification" option for inbox/alerts once all the other bugs get worked out?

29. SDJason

Beer Trader

Love it! The only thing I would like to see is the Bros Review if applicable or the last 2 most recent reviews of a beer. Many times I have been wondering about a beer only to surf thtough the full site.

30. Homer1

Thanks! Already has what I wanted-- quick way to look up beers! It can only get better....:)

31. Corbet

Beer Trader

I don't think that's possible with a web "app".

32. AutumnBeerLove

Beer Trader

Loving this for updating hads/wants/gots so far. Would be nice to simply have those added to side screen to see full list.

33. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor

Not completely true...my guess is that they will wrapper the web "app" as an application when they are closer to being complete - a typical pattern I have seen amongst mobile application developers (the web version is much easier for initial testing whereas the application version requires registration and payment to the providers of the app store).

34. Cvescalante

Beer Trader

It would be great as a full on app with all the main capabilities at the website. A mobile site option is cool too. It looks like what you have in progress should turn out well when it's finished.

35. Cinderbike

Lookin' good.

Question: will mobile users be forced to use this? Having no "go to full site" options pet peeve #1 for me.

36. EliMather

Hey guys, I found this thread when searching for APIs to connect to.
    Used to have an acct and used to volunteer for your festivals, but that was probably 5 years ago.

Re: Mobile App, Good job so far, I'd actually be interested in testing the BA fest app.
    I think the problems that the user attempts to solve are different at a fest vs. out at a bar.
    Another person commented about being able to locate a certain beer nearby, that is certainly a common use case and a feature that would be a delighter.
    I think you have done a good job on focusing on some basic functions and wouldn't try to do too much at first launch.
    Keep it up, and Mike please let me know when I can expect an API to hook into.
    Thanks,
    Eli

37. rgco

Awesome! Welcome to 2010!

Duesler, yamar68 and ceasewoofing like this.
  38. bcm75

Beer Trader

I must be missing something obvious. Is there no way to view Wants and Gots lists? I can add to them no problem, just can't figure out how to view my entire list.

BeerThursdays likes this.
  39. mikecharley

Beer Trader

Forum?

yamar68 likes this.
  40. MIngmire

Looks real good on my Samsung Sidekick 4g. Only things I would add are the forums, events, and places. Liking the idea of achievements though.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe