Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

BeerAdvocate mobile beta: Testers Wanted

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Mar 15, 2013.

1. JohnG190

JohnG190 Jan 26, 2013 New York

I'm still getting the same error message when I save the bookmark to the home screen. Is anyone else experiencing this? It won't open at all!

[​IMG]

2. ryang1428

ryang1428 Oct 5, 2013 Delaware
    Beer Trader

I have it on my homepage as well, when I try opening I sit at the "Beer Advocate" splash screen for 2-3 minutes then get a white blank screen.

I just killed the 'app' again and re-opened, still sat at the splash screen for 2-3 minutes but it eventually opened ok.

3. Todd

Todd Founder Aug 23, 1996 Colorado
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

Without knowing what device/OS you're on, this could be a connection issue anywhere between you and the server.

4. Greels

Greels May 6, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I was going through my "hads" tonight, and I thought of a neat idea (not sure if it's been brought up).

What if there was a feature that turned on the location tracking when you rated a beer? Sort of the way the iPhone does with pictures. That way, when you went back and looked at a rating, you could look at where you were when you rated it!

Love this app and how dedicated you guys are to improving its function as well as the entire BA experience. Keep it up.

Cheers

Cubatobaco likes this.
  5. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

A tip-of-the-cap for the mapping/location in the "places" category. While traveling to Foothills, I used this to look for local beer stores and was able to see what was around me on the map. Worked very well! Keep it up!

6. sharpski

sharpski Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Will the planned updates to the forums include some flag for threads with new replies? When every thread is the same font-weight, I lose my bearings.

BumpkinBrewer and billhelm like this.
  7. madmanjf

madmanjf Sep 18, 2005 New York
    Beer Trader

Auto-Spacing between words in entry field for beer search does not function. I must keep pressing space-bar manually even though my keyboard is auto-spacing for me. I'm on Android 2.3.4 using SWYPE keyboard

8. decay

decay Feb 29, 2012 Illinois

Crisp, clean, highly useful design - I love it! Using this mobile site is FAR easier than using the full site, which I've done many a time in a liquor store. Just now, I searched for a number of beers, and the type-ahead brought each of them up before I'd finished typing the names, along with a small pic. Seems to react well, too; no significant lag. Then again, I am trying this from my home WiFi connection on my iPad Air, so it'll be interesting to see how it does while I'm on a 4G/LTE connection.

Great work, Mike - you've got a real winner on your hands! Thank you! :D

9. Jeff_Newell

Jeff_Newell Dec 23, 2013 Massachusetts

I just singed in - web app - great clean look and easy to navigate. Cheers!

10. ryang1428

ryang1428 Oct 5, 2013 Delaware
    Beer Trader

One big annoyance is how the app reloads to the main menu everytime it is reopened.. I often will be reading the forums or a review and get a text message. When I leave the app to text back, and reopen it, I have to navigate back to where I was.

iPhone 5 latest iOS

retry4z and Greels like this.
  11. Quinnspub1

Quinnspub1 Apr 15, 2011 California

great start.. much easier to find the beers. I rotate my taps and I'm always looking for the ABV's and other little things.

12. Owl-Head

Owl-Head Jan 6, 2014 Maine

He's saying that it will be an app in the future, but the beta is a mobile site for the time being

charlzm likes this.
  13. JimH3000

JimH3000 Oct 3, 2013 Ohio

If you guys can satisfy every use case in Untappd, then this will be a great app. BA's deep reviews and content are what makes it great. A mobile-installed app would be fantastic for beer polygamists like me.

tylerstravis likes this.
  14. BA_Cody

BA_Cody Feb 18, 2014

Is there a link available for the compiled .apk?

15. charlzm

charlzm Sep 3, 2007 California
    Beer Trader

Instead of reading through 8 pages of posts, can I ask a question without getting flamed?

I'd like to be able to compile a "got" list by scanning the barcodes of the bottles in my cellar. Is this feature being considered? There are plenty of wine cellar apps that do this, but I haven't seen or heard of a beer app that does it yet.

16. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Site Editor Subscriber Beer Trader

It is being considered from some earlier posts (not sure if this thread or another) as a part of the overall site redesign - there are some complexities vs. wine because of the SKUs being reused by some breweries for different seasonals and the like.

17. BA_Cody

BA_Cody Feb 18, 2014

I see that it is still just in BETA status ("mobile" web app), still looking forward to the app very much.

18. charlzm

charlzm Sep 3, 2007 California
    Beer Trader

Makes perfect sense. I guess there could be a "clarification prompt" if one of these SKUs is scanned in to ask which beer it actually is...

19. Greels

Greels May 6, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Disclaimer: this is very nitpicky

It would be nice if the increments of just "rating" a beer were in increments of 0.1 rather than 0.25. I find (and I'm sure others do too) that I rate a lot of my beers between 3.5 and 4.5, and it would be nice if there were more than 5 options within that range.

I understand that this is not just a mobile version request but a site-wide request. Just thought this would be the most likely place it would get read.

Cheers

20. Todd

Yeah. It's not related to feedback for the app, and it's already been suggested in other feedback threads. We've opted to pass on the idea.

Greels likes this.
  21. Beercanman1

Beercanman1 Feb 16, 2014 Ohio

Seems to run fine for me. Cannot wait to see the final product

22. jrizzo5710

jrizzo5710 Jun 29, 2013 New York

Looks great! Would be nice if I could see the Top 250 list, other than that, looking good.

christopherhuii and MattXT like this.
  23. retry4z

retry4z Dec 24, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

When I click on the page dropdown to go to another page, the page for the beer that is directly under the page button opens up. Please fix.

Also, I'd like to be able to sort beers by rating, and to see the ratings in list-view without having to click on the beer.

iPhone 5/iOS 7, safari browser

24. KostyaK

KostyaK Aug 11, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Woo-hoo! Already taking it for a spin. Will post my thoughts here as I dive in deeper.

25. Choppr

Choppr Mar 29, 2007 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Just tried it on my Moto X 4.4.2 and it is working like a charm! I love the live search as you are typing.

26. Eldrad

Eldrad Feb 10, 2013 Louisiana

On Samsung (android), forum display (individual sections) takes you to middle of page. You have to scroll to top of page to see current posts/replies. This should default to the top of the screen, as it does in a web browser.

27. AndyFrahm

AndyFrahm May 23, 2012 Wisconsin

First off thanks for all the effort that you've put into the web app. It's really a great tool.

Just letting you know that on iPhone5 running iOS7 that I'm getting several php errors when hitting the default avatar image for my account. Guessing that it might have to do with my never having filled out my account info or uploading my image for an avatar.

Then to review the reviews here... This is a web app or mobile site not a native app. Calling it an app just confuses everyone. If you're not releasing a native app then just say mobile site or mobile version of our site. I develop mobile sites and as you may know using the beeradvocate.com/m over m.beeradvocate.com is the right move regardless of what may have been posted here. It will make the googlebot mobile robot happy to improve your SEO rating.

If you are going to build an adaptive mobile site that pushes detected mobile devices to this version of the site vs a fully responsive site and have ANY info on your desktop site that isn't part of the new mobile site the only decent thing to do to maintain usability standards is provide a link back to the desktop site. Taking it even farther, you can set a cookie when that link is clicked that makes the desktop version the default for that users device. Then the cookie can be set to expire or you can provide a similar link back to mobile.

I'll check back soon to review again as I'm thrilled you folks have made this effort. Now I need to get on filling out my account info! Thanks again!

28. LivEzey

LivEzey Jul 10, 2013 California

Haven't read all of the replies. This is probably mentioned already, so call this an upvote.

Please consider adding rAvg and Revs to the lists. Much faster not having to drill down for them. Thanks!

29. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Sep 11, 2002 Massachusetts

With the mobile app I am able to generate a map of nearby places. Is there a way to get a map of a location other than "nearby"? This would be useful.

30. Todd

Not yet.

31. UncleJimbo

I got around it by scrolling the map all the way across the US.

Paul68 likes this.
  32. Mike

Mike Senior Web Developer Nov 17, 2010 New Hampshire
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Subscriber Beer Trader

Thank you for the report. There is a bug in iOS version 7.0.x which caused this behavior. It should've only affected users who installed to the home screen. We've redesigned the functionality so it won't be affected by the bug.

33. Todd

Right. That's always been there. I thought you referring to specific destinations.

34. UncleJimbo

I was. It is kind of inconvenient to have to scroll across. It would be nice to be able to "map location".

35. christopherhuii

christopherhuii Mar 5, 2014 California

I don't know if this is already available, but it'd be nice to have the Top 250 list up and a way you can check them off so it's easy to keep track of how many of the Top 250you've had.

I saved the Top 250 list on a word document, but I realized that the list is constantly changing, so my personal list isn't in sync with the website.

tylerstravis likes this.
  36. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

They just added this feature back recently. You will see the beers you have had show up with a red X if you review/had them on the website.

tylerstravis likes this.
  37. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Feb 14, 2014 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I haven't been able to find it, but it would be amazing to have a link to the top/fame lists from the home menu.

Also, yes this is site wide, but having a badge or something for the beers that are in each of the top lists would be incredible! Often times I find a random beer and would love to look it up in the store and know if it's on any of those lists.

Just trying to make the amazing site even better :)

38. Mineo

Mineo Jul 7, 2010 New Jersey

great addition, but one question: is BA possible to minimize in iPhone while retaining the current window/activity?

sometimes when reading about a beer on the forum via the app, I want to do a Google search for that beer for more info. after I open Safari, check the info, close Safari, and open up BA again, I am brought back to the home page of the app instead of the specific forum page I was reading, despite minimizing it instead of exiting. with most apps, you can pick up right where you left off.

essentially, if one hits the home button by accident they will lose the page they're on. not a big deal. just odd.

39. greenhorn

greenhorn Jan 18, 2012 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but is there a way to view the full thread title when viewing a forum post if it extends off the page? For example, sometimes when browsing the ISO:FT forum, part of the title gets cut off and I'm not sure what the OP is offering for trade, etc. I'm on an iPhone 5 if that matters.

Great app so far!

40. bunta

bunta Oct 14, 2013 New Jersey

Suggestion: Be a good idea if you could sync or link a calendar event to your mobile calendar (or google calendar). slainte.

opwog likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe