Beers by BeerAdvocate, a New App for Reviewing Beers

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by BeerAdvocate, Mar 21, 2019.

1. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Champion (829) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Society Trader

As I understand these photos are posted to the beer profile. Will they also be stored in some manner under the user account so you can copy the address and post them to the WBAYDN forum?

2. Mike

Mike Senior Web Developer (673) Nov 17, 2010 New Hampshire
    Staff Moderator Trader

Yes.

The search will be very similar to the old app.

No. This happens automatically. All you need to do is take the photo or select a photo you have already taken.

The photos will be exclusive to the app for the time being. They will likely be made available on the website (and forum) in the future.

3. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Savant (977) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Me too. Really liked that feature.

4. Bruinsfan87

Bruinsfan87 Disciple (311) Aug 25, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

I'm excited for this! Tomorrow morning ill be paying to become part of the "Society" just so I can hopefully get early access to the app. Will we be able to scan bar codes to find beers or is it just a type in search?

Todd likes this.
  5. beersampler6

beersampler6 Meyvn (1,084) Apr 4, 2018 Michigan
    Society Trader

This sounds very exciting, can't wait to try it!

d_hondo and Todd like this.
  6. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (684) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

Untappd is a pretty much a hazebro community. BAs appreciate all styles and rate accordingly.

(just my opinion)

7. Bruinsfan87

Bruinsfan87 Disciple (311) Aug 25, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

I agree to this. I won’t lie, I mostly used untapped for the soul purpose of on the go ease. I look forward to making the switch once BA’s app launches. I will be recommending it to all my customers.

COBEERHUNTER, Todd and Bitterbill like this.
  8. ndepriest

ndepriest Aspirant (208) Feb 21, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

A quick glance at the top rated beers on this site says that isn't true.

9. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (684) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

Good point but compare classic beers that still hold up such as SN Pale Ale (4.03 here vs 3.64 Untappd), Arrogant Bastard (4.15 vs 3.76) and countless others. It's embarrassing.

arizcards likes this.
  10. Jlabs

Jlabs Meyvn (1,324) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

exciting news..very much looking forward to using the app on a regular basis!!

Todd likes this.
  11. Peteostro

Peteostro Initiate (91) Sep 23, 2009 Massachusetts

would be interesting to see this by the date rage. Since BA has been around longer, the earlier reviews might be higher due to people just being happy to find a craft beer in the dark ages...

12. wilky1

wilky1 Disciple (379) Jun 11, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

That's a good point looking at 2019 ratings (granted small sample size) Stone AB at 3.84 which is close to untapped.

13. johnInLA

johnInLA Champion (838) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society

While I personally don't use that other site, I know many that people do. And they range from beer novices to people exceedingly knowledgeable about beer.

My view is that other site caters more to tickers, where this site caters more to raters.

(Again, just another opinion)

14. Franziskaner

Franziskaner Poo-Bah (3,849) May 27, 2005 Missouri
    Society

I'd love to see you eventually integrate the places section to the app. I would suggest then adding the ability to click on breweries/bars/shops and see how far they are from your current location and have a tie in to get us to Google maps. Those of us who travel for business or want to plan out some stops on vacation would use this.

15. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,703) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I use that site only to check taplist for bars and restaurants. Now if that was eventually built into this app, that might be a source of income. I know taplist charges a pretty penny for that service, but if that was in the BA App where you could check a taplist then get the ratings, man die and go to heaven....

bl00 and Dragginballs76 like this.
  16. Sctn4Elk

Sctn4Elk Initiate (190) Jul 31, 2017 Texas
    Society Industry

I've always considered Untappd very user palate specific, without any regard for style specifics and not rated against bjcp. Definitely a useful app for the community to rate what they like, get suggestions for beers they would like and be able to tell their friends how they liked a particular beer, but not really good for determining if that beer is very close to what the style indictates.

What the Craft Beer community has been missing is a rating app that is geared towards the style specifics and rated against standard judging criteria and beers of like flavors.

I see a lot of folks on Untappd rate beers they don't even like the style of ,at a 1 or 2, without any regard for how well that beer falls into the style, or even rated against other like beers. That brings the ratings down for an otherwise great beer, just because that person didn't like hoppy IPA's for example.

It would also be nice if the ratings metrics were based on an individuals rating experience. For example, I usually don't rate beers on BA (for no apparent reason) and so my rating should add very little to the overal statistics for a particular beer (read that as do not over-inflate or unecessarily drag it down). However, a person who has rated over 1000 beers in that style, should probably have a lot more weight given to his/her rating. And the rating criteria should be mandatory, ie (look, smell, taste, feel and overall), because I see a lot of Untappd checkins that are blank....which helps no one.

Currently on Untappd breweries have access to go in and edit the beer specifics, as a lot of times users just don't have enough information to properly fill out all of the data. Will there be a log in for breweries to edit the specifics, respond to users ratings and flag ratings that may be inappropriate? For example, a beer that has an average rating of lets say 4.0, receives a rating of 1 star (for whatever), and that drags down a beer unnecessarily. Untappd does not currently have a way for a brewery to flag a suspicious rating. Not saying they should be removed from the stats, but there needs to be some way to lessen the impact of improperly rated beers, if they meet rating criteria for the style...that's a huge challenge.

Looking forward to seeing what BA comes up with.

schmegs likes this.
  17. Todd

Todd Founder (5,578) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

Brewers have been able to claim their places for a while now, which gives them access to some basic tools for keeping their listings up to date. And we've also had a reporting system in place for many years. And anyone can report inappropriate reviews.

Sctn4Elk and Bitterbill like this.
  18. jimk1942

jimk1942 Disciple (388) Jul 26, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society

Looking forward to informative reviews and creative photos. 3PM Fri and that means beer time. One Stoudts Scarlet Lady (ESB) coming up!

Todd likes this.
  19. brentk56

brentk56 Poo-Bah (9,677) May 13, 2004 North Carolina
    Society Trader

While I don't tick beers at Untappd, I do use the app for two purposes:

1) The popularity of mobile ticking vs using BA has meant that many recently released beers show up in their database that don't show up here. When I go into a brewpub, I have found Untappd generally has ratings on everything on tap and it helps to scroll through the recent ticks to figure out what I want to order. The BA website is not user friendly for that purpose as there is no way to sort by recent ratings. Hopefully, this app will mean that more beers get added and rated so that the lack of beer listings issue gets resolved and I hope there will be a way to sort through recent ratings by brewery like you can on Untappd.

2) I travel a lot and Untappd enables me to figure out where I might find particular beers I want to try. That is a valuable feature that I hope will get incorporated into BA's app.

A feature that Untappd doesn't offer which would be very valuable would be able to search for the highest rated beers in close proximity to one's location. Sometimes, in my travels, I don't have a specific bar or brewpub in mind and a resource to find a great beer nearby would be incredibly valuable.

20. VoodooBear

VoodooBear Defender (607) Aug 25, 2012 Puerto Rico
    Trader

Thank the Baby Fucking Jesus. Adding photos for beer is my only gripe here, ever.

Jason, Bitterbill and Todd like this.
  21. VoxRationis

VoxRationis Poo-Bah (1,619) Dec 11, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

Looking forward to trying it out.

Todd likes this.
  22. arizcards

arizcards Poo-Bah (3,870) Jun 11, 2003 Arizona
    Society

I use BA for my personal "beer diary" but will refer to the Untappd app when considering beer purchases as some new beers from newer breweries have no samples on BA or the sample size is too small, especially when it comes to all the IPAs out nowadays as it seems all the beers that come out these days are to keep the tickers interested.
    With regard to the "gap" in ratings, nowadays the quality of beer that is out is mostly sooooo much better than yesteryear and as a result the younger generations that have grown up with Untappd are a little "harsher" when rating lower gravity beers compared to Beer Advocates (i am so appreciative of the quality these days :slight_smile:). It does seem that the Untappd ratings for the newer high gravity beers are rated higher than Beer Advocate.
    For what it is worth I most often find the majority of my beer ratings in between the Untappd ratings and the BA median ratings.
    Bottom line...I do appreciate the efforts of @Mike and @Todd for making BA a better community!

Celtics76 and Todd like this.
  23. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,399) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I haven't seen this info - how will society members be notified the beta app is ready for testing?

Cheers.

24. Todd

We'll post it and email everyone, too.

25. Sctn4Elk

Sctn4Elk Initiate (190) Jul 31, 2017 Texas
    Society Industry

Awesome. Can't wait to give it a try.

Todd likes this.
  26. elliot23

elliot23 Initiate (109) Jan 27, 2009 Montana

This app is about 5 years too late.

27. Todd

It's still our top request and we're looking forward to launching it for those who want it.

JoeDonahue, Sammy, FBarber and 2 others like this.
  28. remmons

remmons Initiate (85) Sep 3, 2009 North Carolina

For those who are comparing this and untappd, I think it's important to understand the audience for each app. If I'm looking for general directional trends on a brewery or a beer, untappd is going to have the massive amount of data I'm looking for -- it's a brewery popularity contest on that platform from less informed individuals. If I'm looking for thoughtful descriptions from self proclaimed beer aficionados, I'm going to look here for a much more accurate depiction. As long as each app focuses on it's strength, everything is going to be great.

evondrak, Jason, bbtkd and 1 other person like this.
  29. Todd

Really looking forward to the share photo feature...

...it truly has been a P.I.T.A.

Jaycase, thebeers, sulldaddy and 7 others like this.
  30. beerN3RD

beerN3RD Aspirant (236) Oct 5, 2006 Colorado

Me too! I can't wait to see this app. Hopefully any day now! :slight_smile:

Bitterbill and Todd like this.
  31. BeachRunner

BeachRunner Initiate (42) Sep 18, 2013 Washington

Will we be able to sort by country/city for travel purposes?

32. robebo44

robebo44 Crusader (711) Nov 16, 2013 Virginia
    Society

I'm very excited about this app, almost as excited as trying a new beer! Can't wait!

beerN3RD and Todd like this.
  33. Todd

34. shopsis

shopsis Devotee (448) Dec 28, 2005 New York
    Society

I am a Society member. how will I find out when the Beta is available, and how do I get it?

35. Todd

We'll notify everyone as soon as the beta is available. There's also a thread in the Society forum that mentions this.

Look for an invite (very) soon.

beerN3RD likes this.
  36. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,480) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Even if the app doesn't initially have it, it would be great if there eventually was a barcode scan button which allows you to scan the barcode on a pack or bottle/can and have it bring up the score and description - and your score if you've had it. I buy a lot of singles to try and I want to quickly find out if I've had it, and ensure it doesn't totally suck. Partial suck is fine.

sulldaddy, Sammy, Jason and 2 others like this.
  37. Mike

Staff Moderator Trader

Yes, you will be able to scan barcodes.

38. Mike

Staff Moderator Trader

The app has been submitted for Apple to review. The beta test will begin for iPhone users upon completion of the review. You will be notified by email when it is ready to be installed.

Android users will be able to participate in the beta test soon.

39. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,480) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Cool. Will we be able to include the barcode info when we add new beers, or will that be populated later from the brewery?

40. Mike

Staff Moderator Trader

You will be able to add barcodes. When you scan a barcode that isn't found it will prompt you to search for the beer and confirm the barcode.

d_hondo, sulldaddy, Sammy and 4 others like this.