Beers from only one state for the rest of your life

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ccads, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,230) Dec 25, 2003 California

California. Every type is made by someone here.

eppCOS and dcotom like this.
  2. shadyside

shadyside Disciple (334) Feb 27, 2011 Georgia

New York. Because of Ommegang. I could live with that.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  3. Riff

Riff Crusader (739) May 12, 2016 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I could live with Virginia beers, though I would be sad to lose Sierra Nevada

4. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Devotee (417) May 5, 2015 Illinois

I live in Illinois and we have a some good breweries here, some you've all heard of, Half Acre, Revolution, Pipeworks and Lagunitas to name a few. The collar counties have many terrific small breweries that have limited distribution. So I'll vote for Illinois.
    As a side note, weekend roadtrips can get me to Michigan, Indiana, Iowa and Wisconsin for Bell's, Founders, New Holland, 3 Floyd's, Central Waters, Toppling Goliath and many more.

5. cmukid87

cmukid87 Aspirant (284) Jan 30, 2017 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Michigan. Satisfied all of my beer needs. From crushable session IPAs, to NE Style to top notch barrel aged stouts.

6. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Meyvn (1,417) Aug 17, 2013 Germany
    Beer Trader

Definitely California. However, I am biased in that I live there (except for this year!) and love so many different beers from so many brewers. Russian River, Modern Times, Bottle Logic, Bruery, Stone, Hangar 24, Abnormal, Firestone, Lost Abbey, Alesmith, Monkish, etc. Every style one might want.

Zorro, cmukid87 and GreenBayBA like this.
  7. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,378) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Distance has left a few holes in your knowledge.

Voodoo wasn't left out, that's included in the part of the list that "just goes on and on!" (As are places such as Brew Gentleman, 2SP, Pizza Boy, La Cabra, Bullfrog, Neshaminy Creek, Forest & Main....and the list just goes on and on...)

Also, to help get you up to date, Southern Tier is now brewing in PA as well as NY. (And, believe it or not, there are actually some folks who enjoy their beers.)

http://www.stbcbeer.com/taprooms/pittsburgh/

8. HeartofMiami

HeartofMiami Crusader (762) Sep 20, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

Florida...

Stouts from Cigar City, Cycle, Angry Chair and J Wakefield
    Porters and food themed beers from Funky Buddha
    Wild Ales/Berliners from Green Bench, Odd Breed, St. Somewhere, Wakefield, Coppertail, Arkane, Hidden Springs
    IPAs from Civil Society, Calusa (and wouldn't complain about classics like Crank and Jai Alai)
    Meads from Garagiste
    ^^^and those are just the well known ones^^^

Can walk into a number of spots like MIA, Due South, Wynwood, 7th Sun, Invasive Species and enjoy a great number of well done styles on tap daily.

Plus so many new "hyper-local" breweries popping up all over the state (and I know there's a bunch north of the Tampa/Orlando area I've heard are great too)

GreenBayBA and HeyHeyTB like this.
  9. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,294) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

I'd be good with Colorado.

Funkwerks, Bierstadt, Comrade, Trve, Odell, Baere alone are enough to keep me happy and satisfied.

10. dirtyharry2489

dirtyharry2489 Initiate (145) Aug 2, 2012 West Virginia

CA. Big variety, and that's where my favorite American beer is brewed: North Coast's Old Rasputin.

11. pjbear05

pjbear05 Aspirant (202) May 28, 2008 Florida
    Beer Trader

Too tough to call. No joke here in FL, but from previous residency and travel Michigan, Oregon, and Washington would get votes, and Pennsylvania isn't slouching either.

Such a dilemma!

Mothergoose03, Lahey and Zaphog like this.
  12. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (426) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Lol thanks, dad. Enjoy your Warlock :nauseated_face::nauseated_face:

13. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,378) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Oh, I didn't say I liked Southern Tier beers. (But that's OK, I learned long ago that some people can't help jumping to conclusions...)

"dad?" man you are really confused, must be a CO thing. :sunglasses:

#93 drtth, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    zid and ManBearPat like this.
  14. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (525) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

Belgium. I could quite happily drink just St. Bernardus Abt for the rest of my life.

jamesgaither, Mothergoose03 and Dan_K like this.
  15. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Disciple (352) Nov 23, 2017 California

Ooh ooh, it's definitely (state responder lives in), they have the best! (Five nearest breweries) are amazing!

Dan_K likes this.
  16. Robert_G

Robert_G Disciple (331) May 23, 2014 Texas
    Premium Member

Texas, because my favorite is Buried Hatchet Stout by Southern Star Brewery in Conroe, Texas.

17. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (830) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

As would I. Most traditions are represented with a lot of great beer being produced.

18. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (437) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

While I appreciate the humor in your post, the five nearest breweries to my house I never patronize. My favorite in this state are all a couple hours away from where I live (and in one case, 4 hours).

There's an obvious geographic bias at play for most people- but that seems only logical. You're more likely to have more exposure to breweries that are close by (and in the case of Colorado, no major cities closer than 4 hours to the front range area).

Lahey and BayAreaJoe like this.
  19. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Disciple (352) Nov 23, 2017 California

I was clowning around just pointing out how this is sort of a setup question to mostly get everyone fawning over their state's beers. But it is great that lots of states have so much variety along with quality that folks can pretty much have it all wherever you're at. I'd be totally fine living off beer solely from probably 10+ states.

sharpski likes this.
  20. aluminum_monster

aluminum_monster Initiate (105) Apr 4, 2018 Michigan

1. California - largest number of breweries with great beers of every style.

2. Vermont - best overall quality, amazing IPAs. Could argue for #1 just for Hill Farmstead, especially their saisons.

3. Michigan - biased answer, but I would not get tired of the stouts (Bells, Founders, Dark Horse), sours (Jolly Pumpkin, Speciation), weird flavored beers (Shorts, Oddside), and NEIPAs (Old Nation, Transient, HOMES). The IPAs aren't quite on the level as those in Vermont and Massachusetts, but a lot better than most places.

4. Massachusetts - amazing NEIPAs, might be higher if the Treehouse stouts were easier to get.

Lahey, Zaphog and Mothergoose03 like this.
  21. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aspirant (294) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia
    Beer Trader

Ohio would work for me

Columbus Brewing
    Hoof Hearted
    Great Lakes
    Fat Head's
    Jackie O's
    Brew Kettle
    Mad Tree
    Seventh Son
    Hoppin' Frog
    Rhinegeist
    BrewDog
    etc...

As much as I would love to try stuff from Massachusetts and Vermont, I couldn't imagine not having Hop Juju, Bodhi, Oro Negro, Great Lakes Christmas Ale, White Rajah, Head Hunter, etc... ever again.

Mvsmvs92 likes this.
  22. jnance88

jnance88 Initiate (183) Jun 10, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

California.
    And I could take it a step further and say Southern California.
    And, if I really, really wanted to, I could take it a step further and say Los Angeles County.
    There's a reason I don't have a need to trade for out of state beers.

GreenBayBA and BayAreaJoe like this.
  23. HeavyDandtheGirls

HeavyDandtheGirls Aspirant (269) Mar 7, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Call me a homer, I gotta go with Massachusetts. So many options.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  24. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (225) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Bottlehouse brewing co.

25. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (670) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Forgot the best one, Forest and Main

EBB I can't get behind. Beside poor service( stopped going about 2 years ago) the beers they brew are average at best. They had a sour a few years back that I bought growler after growler, other than a few others I just can't enjoy them.

Have the beers got better in the last year or so?

Enjoy

26. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Meyvn (1,478) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Maybe @russpowell will disagree with me, but Arkansas puts out VERY little beer worth getting excited about (or even drinking in a lot of cases...) Things are starting to get a little better, but I still very rarely buy any local beer. The stuff that gets some hype, BDCS, is almost impossible to get. I had a buddy drink only Arkansas beer for a year. I have no idea how he made it. I may have switched to bourbon by February.

beertunes and russpowell like this.
  27. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (8,281) May 24, 2005 Arkansas

Other than BCDS, not much worth crowing over. Lost Forty does a few Hoppy Beers that are good, but not great

jvgoor3786 likes this.
  28. ShawnoftheD3ad

ShawnoftheD3ad Aspirant (202) Mar 20, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Love local, don’t get me wrong but hands down Vermont.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  29. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (1,994) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana

I'd have to choose between Minnesota, Michigan, and Vermont.

And I'm not sure I could do that.

Zaphog likes this.
  30. mannrw61

mannrw61 Initiate (119) Nov 30, 2017 Massachusetts

Tree House isn't terribly expensive if you don't buy it by the case. Budget beers that are good are Fort Hill and Aeronaut. I guess I'd pick Massachusetts beers based on the fact that i'm here defending them.

Jmclowell likes this.
  31. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,521) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Can't forget Fiddlehead, and a VT would very easily be my choice as well.

MrRB likes this.
  32. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (254) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Your definition of budget beers is much different than mine. A budget beer for me is homebrew, average beer is Founders 15pk, expensive is a 14 dollar 4 pack.

33. TheBricenator

TheBricenator Initiate (15) Nov 13, 2007 Oregon

Yep, go ahead and "homer" me up but I need to get some Oregon love here so I'm going with my home state. Honestly though, I think a high percentage of some of our best offerings don't get packaged and/or are not distributed much out of state (if at all) but just in the last couple minutes or so reading through this thread, a strong case was made in my head for Oregon. Boneyard, Barley Brown's, Heater Allen, pFriem, de Garde, Fort George, Block 15, Sunriver, Pelican, etc...and without even scratching Portland. Tons more up there (Breakside, Bridgeport, HUB, Ex Novo, etc.) as well as countless local taps to boot. Cheers!

34. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (254) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Oregon isn't even close. Cut out Portland and you have little. Sorry but just the truth. I didn't vote for NJ cause they aren't close either.

35. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (1,666) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Premium Member

Right...cause there's nothing going on in Bend, or on the Coast, or in the Gorge.

TankSlapper, sharpski and Lingenbrau like this.
  36. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,132) Jul 27, 2013 California

I suppose I’ll make the token California list

Russian River
    Sierra Nevada
    Firestone Walker
    Modern Times
    The Bruery
    Monkish
    Alesmith
    Stone
    Lagunitas
    Almanac
    Anchor
    Ballast Point
    Beachwood
    Bottle Logic
    El Segundo
    Knee Deep
    Mikkeller SD
    Noble
    Societe

I mean seriously, it’s an embarrassment of riches. California is #1 and it’s not even close.

(Pours out a beer for Alpine)

37. pro100

pro100 Initiate (147) Oct 12, 2014 California

Cali

GreenBayBA likes this.
  38. jkinzey

jkinzey Initiate (179) Aug 25, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

MA. From what I’ve tried from them so far I could have nothing but Tree House and be satisfied for quite a while.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  39. MakeCAHazyGreatAgain

MakeCAHazyGreatAgain Initiate (22) Jan 16, 2018 California

California, because the respective styles often stack with best; the line crawl often subdued & the weather therein sublime. You also can't underestimate flight time to Maui, just in case lows in 40s is too cold for your beer activities! :grin::crazy_face:

Lastly, lust propels everything West thus future proofing prospective top shelf, no brainer really. #PopularVote :money_mouth::heart_eyes:

P.S. Kush making its way into IPA too, viva la 4.20

-IN_IL_TX_Transplant

#119 MakeCAHazyGreatAgain, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  40. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (339) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

Missouri would be a good choice for me. Boulevard Wheat is my favorite quencher. They make good Belgian brews too. Perennial makes damn good stouts. Schlafly gives me a great pumpkin fix with their pumpkin ale for the Fall. Some vintages of their oak aged barleywine have been lights out too.

GreenBayBA and Luscious_Malfoy like this.