Beers or beer styles that NOW wow you

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GetMeAnIPA, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (649) Mar 28, 2009 California

What beer or beer styles didn't impress you nd now they do? For me it's gotta be a lager. Recently I have found a significant interest in lagers like I've never had. Sure I always enjoyed a good lager but would never seek it out or choose it over say an ipa. Recently, I am loving them. The new Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest and Vienna lager cemented my appreciation for a quality lager and now seek them out.

What's a beer or style you were indeffrent to or straight up didn't like until fairly recently and now you love? Did you hate IPAs and now can't drink an ale that doesn't punch you in the face and nose with hops? Did you think bourbon barrel aged beers ruined a good stput? Did you think why add coffee to a perfectly good stout?

edit: maybe wow is a bit strong

2. Stignacious

Stignacious Defender (676) Aug 24, 2011 New York

Like you, I consider myself an IPA drinker first and foremost. Also like you, I've really gotten back into German-style Lagers. I'd really strayed away, then bought a Great Lakes mixer at the end of July and realized the error of my ways. All of the great Oktoberfests out now make switching things up easy and delicious.

beerded_drunk and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  3. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (793) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Lagers and pseudo-lagers (kölsch, Steam, etc.) and sours. Obviously those are both large style umbrellas, but I stand by it.

I initially thought lagers were all like Budweiser etc. and found them boring and the antithesis of craft beer. Now I know better, on both accounts, and I think I'm one of the loudest lager advocates (and other "boring," overlooked styles) on this site. It was New Glarus Two Women, New Glarus Edel Pils, New Glarus Hometown Blonde, and Victory Prima Pils that really got me on the lager train. More recently, it's been Sierra Nevada, Metropolitan, and Urban Chestnut that have been really wowing me (not too strong a word) and keeping me clamoring for more.

Sours just did not do it for me initially. They were too much and all tasted the same. Cantillon Oude Gueuze and New Glarus VSB changed my tune there, and Drie Fonteinen Golden Blend blew me away. Now they're my favorite set of styles, and I can appreciate the complexity of interesting flavors and variations and all the craft and care that goes into making them. My wallet wishes I stayed ignorant.

superspak and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  4. WillQC4Beer

WillQC4Beer Initiate (0) May 1, 2014 Vermont

Kellerbier was a revelation recently

5. Dan_Inreallife

Dan_Inreallife Devotee (477) Jan 22, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I feel like "lager" is far too broad since there are so many different styles within that category... OP mentioned a Vienna-style lager and a Marzen but what about a California Common or a Bock or a Zwickel?

Anyway, for me I'd have to say IPA... 18 months ago I wouldn't go near one, too many horrible experiences with palate wrecking messes. However, around that time I started trading beer and my palate was introduced to all kinds of amazing new flavors, including a lot of IPAs I would otherwise never have experienced. Now, I LOVE IPAs, provided they are my particular style-within-the-style - I still won't tolerate palate wrecking bitterness but I am in love with tropical/danky IPAs beefed up on late-addition aroma and flavor hops. Hop varietals play a HUGE part in this - like a lot of folks I am a sucker for Mosaic, Citra, Simcoe and just about any New Zealand hop.

6. GetMeAnIPA

You bring up a good point. Saying lager is quite broad, shows my lack of experience in regards to drinking that style. Vienna lager seems to be the style I am really digging. It started with pilsners but I just love the light biscuit and toffee/caramel malt presence while still being crisp that both marzen and Vienna bring.

So I would edit my post to be more narrow and say Vienna lager as well as Marzen. Wasn't much for Oktoberfest beers before.

#6 GetMeAnIPA, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  7. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (793) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

I lumped them because most people new to craft (me included) usually do just that. Zwickel is actually my favorite of all of them, but Kölsch is a close second (yes, I know it's not a lager really), with Czech Pilsner taking the bronze. There's not a lager style I don't like. (There's not a beer style I don't like, honestly.)

I may've said it before, but that avatar is probably top three on the site.

superspak likes this.
  8. Dravin

Dravin Initiate (191) Apr 27, 2014 Indiana

My decision to put a SN Summerfest in a mix-a-six at the start of the summer kicked off a chain of events that has me craving Pils (and has me exploring other lager options more vigorously).

9. Savan

Savan Disciple (300) Jul 2, 2014 Minnesota

We did a class about two years ago (being I was not working that day.... amazing enough, I got to sit in) on Abbey ales ( dubbels, tripples and quads ... liked quads.... didn't care so much for the rest. I now love Quads and am on a kick with them.. and have recently retried some tripples and dubbles and find i rather enjoy them.

GetMeAnIPA and dcotom like this.
  10. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

Any style that tastes great without the addition of fruit, spices, or other over the top adjuncts. Classic, well executed brews of any style WOW me

utopiajane likes this.
  11. jlee922

jlee922 Aspirant (237) Jan 30, 2008 California

Used to mostly avoid IPAs but after recently having had Pliny, Heady, SoS, Todd the Axe Man, Aroma Coma, Hangar 24 Betty IPA, and Bell's Two Hearted within the past week (most for the 1st time), I'm absolutely loving the hoppiness right now. I also didn't care much for traditional saisons, but add a little tartness a la SARA Saison Bernice, Nonna's Blend 8, Cellarman...WOW.

ashleylake and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  12. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (873) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Trader

Sours. I didn't get them a year or so ago. Then I was at Russian River and tried Consecration. Light went on and that was my moment where I started getting it.

utopiajane, Gemmell and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  13. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,794) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Barrel aged stouts.

14. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,834) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I'm kinda going the other way...I used to love oktoberfest/pumpkin/fall beers, now, other than Pumking, I really don't look forward to the season at all, and I don't buy them anymore

15. GetMeAnIPA

Pumpkin beers are a different story for me. I might buy one, which is dogfish's but other than that nope.

16. chicagogooner

chicagogooner Initiate (68) Feb 5, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Sours and Kolsch as of late.

17. ashleylake

ashleylake Initiate (0) May 6, 2011 Florida

I hope this pumpkin craze goes away.

18. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,959) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Was always an IPA or Stouts/Porters in the winter person but I have been a big fan of sours/gose in the past 2 years. Would have never expected to enjoy them so much. First one I tried was from Schilling in Littleton, NH. Poppy's Moonship. Great!

19. KBrady

KBrady Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 New Jersey

Definitely not a WOW yet but Saisons are growing on me after trying a good homebrew (followed by the 2015 Dupont). Seems like that's a style which many American craft breweries don't do very well so my previous experiences had been less than stellar.

On the more WOW front I've come to appreciate Dopplebocks & Weisenbocks especially in the autumn...Ayinger Celebrator and Schneider Weisse TAP6 especially.

utopiajane likes this.
  20. Erlkoenig

Erlkoenig Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2015 Colorado

I've always been a dark beer sort of guy, and more recently a hefeweizen sort of guy. IPAs were pretty far from my radar after my earlier experiences with them. I think one of the first was He'brew Hop Manna. A little much for my first. But then SN's Pale Ale started me on the track to enjoying hops and now I'm opening up to IPAs much more than in the past - and enjoying them.

21. MetalMountainMastiff

MetalMountainMastiff Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2012 California

A good GOSE can always wow me with the tartness and salt ,coriander, a nice mix of dry and sharp! amazing for hot days.

eppCOS likes this.
  22. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Defender (651) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

I think my frame of reference for this question might be too short. I have a deepening appreciation for smoked beers now, but that's more because I'd never really had them before. Still haven't had that many - they are a little difficult to find, and pricey when I do find them. Likewise, styles like German Helles I find incredible, but didn't really know they existed until recently.

utopiajane likes this.
  23. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (435) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

It's not exactly a recent conversion, but over the past couple years I've developed more of a taste and appreciation for the lighter styles like Kolsch, Pils, and so forth - basically beers I can have several of without blowing my tastebuds and palate up.
    For a quick history, when I started drinking, I looked around and saw everyone drinking BMC - essentially yellow-tinted fizzy stuff. I went the other way, drinking only stouts and porters for a long time - if I could see through it, it wasn't worth drinking. Later I get more into IPAs, and was a dedicated hophead for a long time after that. I started going to a weekly tasting at a local liquor store, run by the beer manager, who was into Belgian styles, so a lot of the tastings focused on those. I wasn't a fan at first, then grew to appreciate them. Then I started getting older, and decided I don't really like the feeling a bunch of 8 - 10 percent ABV will give me - I don't like being drunk. Lighter styles followed.

StoutElk_92, utopiajane and Gemmell like this.
  24. tappangordo

tappangordo Devotee (429) Apr 6, 2014 New York

I was strictly IPA's and Stouts when I got into the craft beer hobby. Still love them, but have recently started to appreciate farmhouse/wild ales. Love the funkiness.

25. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,779) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

I used to hate stouts, now I can't get enough. I also agree with the above quote of farmhouse ales.

26. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,387) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

I was definitely not an ipa guy. Id like them here and there but ever since i had lagunitas ipa on tap about a month ago ive been buying hoppier beers. I still dont really like dry hopping all that much as i feel its overpowering. But i guess this revelation is that i had no idea about details of beer and most likely had never had a fresh ipa. Having it fresh changed my mind now im lookin into the "classic" examples to find exactly what i like.

27. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Disciple (328) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Dubbles and tripels are the only styles that I didn't like at all at first and have come to appreciate over time.

utopiajane and Premo88 like this.
  28. McMatt7

McMatt7 Disciple (348) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

American Hefes and Pale Wheat Ales.

29. blindtiger24

blindtiger24 Aspirant (216) Mar 16, 2010 Colorado

Berliner Weisse and moving into Lagers. I've only had 2 what I would consider excellent craft lagers - Uplsope and Totally Naked.

30. dddddddd

dddddddd Devotee (491) Apr 13, 2015 Washington

It would be nice and roasty Brown Ales for me, in terms of a beer style I overlooked but am starting to seek out. I can't say they "WOW" me but I like them much more than I used to.

31. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (9,180) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Gose and Altbier - both styles that I found that I really enjoyed many years into my beer journey (I started drinking craft beer in the mid-1990s but probably did not try these for the first 10 years or so, until i did a fair amount of business travel to Germany... Now I grab them wherever I see them).

utopiajane and Urk1127 like this.
  32. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,990) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Big time on the German Pilsener style for me. Absolutely have been loving these as of late.

33. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,272) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

If I could like this twice, I would.

34. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,291) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Count me in on the lager train. Went to PA at the end of last month and had a ton of awesome to style lagers. Neshaminy Creek's Churchville Lager (Vienna) stands out. 2nd Story's PA Lager was also awesome. And back home, Jack's Abby...

Urk1127 likes this.
  35. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,272) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

For me, this overlaps with the New England-style IPA thread. I'm loving the thick and creamy IPA fruit smoothies at 6%-7% abv. I didn't even know there was such a thing a year ago.

Urk1127 likes this.
  36. ChristopherProvost

ChristopherProvost Initiate (111) Dec 24, 2013 New Hampshire

For me it's sour beers and pilseners. The first sour beer I tried was so sour I couldn't even drink it (I can't remember what it was; I thought it was a Sam Adams offering but I couldn't find it on their website). But lately I've come around and really like the pucker of a sour beer. I also used to think pilseners were too light and weak, but I've come to appreciate that not every beer needs to knock you out with a one-two punch to the palate and liver. Sometimes a crisp, light beer is exactly what I want and a pilsener fits the bill.

utopiajane and Premo88 like this.
  37. ranger7

ranger7 Devotee (419) Apr 23, 2011 Texas

I went on a trip to Germany recently, and after trying some traditional Bavarian styles like Weizens and Pilseners and Marzens, I'm hooked on those now.

38. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,939) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Sours ... I know ... they're not one style, but in general, my appreciation for them has shot through the roof over the past 4-6 months. Oud Bruins might be my favorite, but sour farmhouse ales, Berliner weissbiers, gose, geuze ... whatever you got from lightly tart to full-on mouth puckering sour, I'm drinking it.

Silver medal goes to the wee heavy. Didn't like it much the first time I tried it, but I tried Rahr & Son's Real Heavy a few months ago and loved it ... it's got me wanting to dive into more of the style this fall/winter.

Being a defender of the pilsener and the English pale ale family, it's cool seeing some good BAs learning to love those lower ABV styles. Good thread, @GetMeAnIPA! :slight_smile:

utopiajane likes this.
  39. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,888) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland
    Society

A style that "Wows" me every time I drink it is Doppelbocks. I wonder why I don't buy them more often. Array of warm Caramel and Toasted malt flavors with a crisp clean finish..mmm I can't wait to get off work to get one now!

larryi86, utopiajane and Premo88 like this.
  40. nicholasofcusa

nicholasofcusa Aspirant (202) Jan 14, 2006 Pennsylvania

I can get down with malt bombs like Scotch Ales and Old Ales now. For 5 or so years until recently I didn't want anything to do with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.