Beers or beer styles that NOW wow you

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GetMeAnIPA, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mstrcrwly

mstrcrwly Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2013 New York

Brown ales..was never a big fan of em..but they're growing on me a lot more...they don't WOW me..but i used to never even really bother with 'em but now i seek them out more often.

utopiajane likes this.
  2. JLaw55

JLaw55 Meyvn (1,194) Jul 10, 2014 Missouri

I would have to throw my hat in on the Gose style. It has been a fairly recent revelation for me and I just can't get enough. Sadly, it is a style that is hard to come by in Missouri.

larryi86 likes this.
  3. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Poo-Bah (1,886) Dec 29, 2013 Washington
    Society

Recently it has been big stouts/RIS, including BA offerings. I did not used to like the big ones because of the overwhelming boozy taste and mouthfeel to me. But I have been trying a couple more here and there and I'm warming up to them a bit. Don't think I will go crazy for them though.

4. skleice

skleice Aspirant (274) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

I've been digging Saisons more and more. I can't get into the tart ones just yet, but still nice to branch out.

larryi86 likes this.
  5. blisscent

blisscent Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2015 Rhode Island

gose and berliners

larryi86 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  6. joberlander

joberlander Disciple (350) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Saisons, and DIPAs. When I got into craft it was only dark beers, tripels, quads, stouts and porters. the last 6 months have been trying lots of saisons and dipas and theres a lot of great stuff out there

7. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,806) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Pilsners. I cant get enough pils urquell as of late.

larryi86 and utopiajane like this.
  8. mungbeans

mungbeans Initiate (0) May 27, 2007 Massachusetts

Barleywine.

9. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,635) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I've never got sours or funk, I traded for some NG Thumbprint Oud Bruin, thought it was fantastic.

Gemmell and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  10. Shafaegalo

Shafaegalo Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2014 Texas

Russian Imperial Stouts...my first was the one from Stone a few years ago and at the time I thought who the hell can drink this? RIS's are now one of my favorite styles.

Gemmell likes this.
  11. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2011 Michigan

Personally, I used to hate Barleywines. I've been drinking lots of old ales, quads, wee heavy's, and Barleywines lately. I had to work at it, but I'm really digging malt-bombs now. I love the complexity rather than relying on the hops for my beer enjoyment.

12. Gemmell

Gemmell Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2014 Illinois

Oh wow, this is a good conversation piece. I thought I liked ALL beers, until one day I drank some kind of sour by FFF (I don't remember what it was called) and holy crap it hurt my mouth. I remember saying, "how the hell can a person drink that?" Years later at Cantillon I drank a fist full of their line-up and made an attempt at bringing some home...none left Brussels. I was blown away and since then can't get enough sours of any kind. I want to try them all. Then I drank a gose unknowingly walking into a whole new level of weird beer. It was sour and salty and bizarre and different and delicious. Now I'm hunting for crazy sours from all corners of the world. I even just participated in my first trade to get some Jester King (still waiting) and am going to keep looking. I think the best sour I've had so far, besides Cantillon's Kriek, was Amorous by Wicked Weed. My God, that was a tasty beverage. So many awesome beers out there...

13. turbotype

turbotype Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 California

Sour beer. Yes, I understand there are different styles that are sour, but I am lumping them together as sours! I never got into any sour beer at all until my first bottle of Russian River Supplication. Since then I have had a few different Russian River offerings and Firestone Walker Barrelworks offerings and they all sort of blew me away, especially Consecration and Brette Rosé.

Runner up? Barleywine

14. AugustusRex

AugustusRex Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 Canada (ON)

Jever!

15. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,760) May 7, 2015 Florida
    Society

I used to drink nothing but lagers, and disliked dark beer. But now i've done a 180 and stouts and porters are my number 1.

16. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Aspirant (208) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

Barleywines were never on my radar, but I was out for dinner one night and wanted to try something different, so I ordered an SN Bigfoot and was blown away by it. Then a few weeks later I had a 3 Floyds Behemoth Blonde Barleywine at a bottle share and absolutley love that too. Now whenever I'm out I look for them on the taplist.

17. Wer34truh

Wer34truh Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2014 Minnesota

When I initially got into beer I was mostly interested in stouts/porters and, to a lesser degree, weissbier. I remember trying a couple of west coast IPAs in my early beer-drinking days and being really turned off by, what I considered at the time, an overemphasis of hops which led to an unbalanced beer. It was first in the last year when I started to drink more IPAs in general, and west coast IPAs specifically, that I realized that some of my favorite beers are IPAs!

I remember having Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing for the first time and just feeling complete bliss. In part because it's a fantastic beer, but also for finally being able to appreciate the greatness of an IPA. A little bit of a eureka-moment if you will.

Even though it needs to be said that my reviews of IPAs still experiencing quite a high degree of variance, with me often being disappointing by IPAs that are hailed as fantastic. Yet, many of my favorite brews are beers that I would have been turned off by a few years ago, just because the perception that IPA's weren't for me.

eppCOS likes this.
  18. lambpasty

lambpasty Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

I think I'll echo some previous sentiments by saying Lagers, specifically traditional German styles, as a whole. I think my interest piqued when I revisited Ayinger Celebrator around a year and a half ago, and especially in the last 6 months I've been all about ticking new bocks, Lagers, pilsners, hefeweizen, Weizenbock etc. Eisbock is the only thing I haven't ventured into as deeply yet, but with the cooler months returning that will be right around the corner.

Of all of these I think specifically Hefeweizen, Pilsner and Helles have really gotten a newfound respect from me. They're such delicate styles but when done well can be so profoundly flavorful as well as refreshing and its just really impressive.

larryi86 and utopiajane like this.
  19. brewgiehowser

brewgiehowser Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2014 California

I'm really starting to appreciate maltier beers. I've really liked Scotch Ales, Strong Ales, Old Ales, Barleywine, Doppelbocks, etcetera, recently. I next need to venture into Dubbels and Quads. I enjoy them, but I don't feel I fully appreciate Dubbels. Also working on growing my palate for Ciders for Cicerone training

larryi86 likes this.
  20. pathman

pathman Champion (855) May 25, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

Traditional low-gravity British ales (e.g. milds, bitters)

21. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,585) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Saisons and farmhouse style ales never...did it for me. Then I tried La Cumbre Fievre d'abricot -sounds classy in French, don't it? - and am now exploring the variety... but that's the one that has made me poke my nose into the variety....

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  22. BrewAskew

BrewAskew Poo-Bah (2,070) Feb 28, 2002 Oklahoma
    Society

American Pale Lager/Blonde Ale and American-made Pilsner and Kölsch. Simple, balanced all malt beers with restrained bitterness, easygoing hop presence, prominent malt/grain character, a golden color and a clean, crisp finish. The essential thirst quencher in a can for the summer or anytime.

Sixpoint Crisp
    Southern Prohibition Suzy B
    Full Sail Session Lager
    Schlafly Kolsch
    Ghost River Golden Ale
    Lost Forty Bare Bones Pils
    Diamond Bear Southern Blonde (new recipe in cans)
    Michelob Original (yes, that one)

I could have a fridge full of these beers at all times and be perfectly happy.

Billet likes this.
  23. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,006) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

When I first got into craft I was trying mostly stouts, and picked up a Dragon's Milk BBS. Cracked it open and drank it cold from the bottle (what can I saw, was a newbie). I absolutely hated it and swore off BBS's. Later I read that any stout should warm a bit and any stout, particularly a BBS, should be drunk from a glass. Makes a big difference, along with building a taste for it, and I now love BBS. Going to go crack one now - Cassian Sunset, mmmmmmm

24. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,483) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I've really become a fan of Belgian Strong Pale Ales lately. They are really good in the summer!

25. akolb

akolb Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2015 Colorado
    Deactivated

Brown ales. Yes, brown ales.

larryi86 likes this.
  26. ssam

ssam Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2008 California

When I started with beer, I didn't like IPAs. Now, for a while now, I think they are great. Recent examples are saisons and wild ales. For saisons, I think it was a lack of exposure, for wild ales, I thought they were weird. Now those two make up 80% of the new beers I seek out and am interested in trying. I like pretty much all that I get.

27. Czequershuus

Czequershuus Poo-Bah (2,071) Feb 7, 2014 Minnesota
    Society

Barleywines/Olde Ales/Wee heavies took me the longest to get into. I always used to find them much too sweet - which I associated with simplicity - about two years ago I finally started appreciating these big beer, and now they in my top five styles, easily.

I have come some of the way on lagers as well, especially hoppy lagers, but some of the more traditional German ones baffle me. Maybe I will eventually come around.

bubseymour likes this.
  28. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (3,056) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Probably saison/farmhouse ale and sour/wild ales. At first they were really different and unusual to me, but as I've tried different takes from different brewers I have been really enjoying both styles lately.

VABA likes this.
  29. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,432) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

I've been enjoying Kölschs a lot in the past two months and it started with a local brewery that just opened having a very well made one and being the biggest stand out in their line up. I've also been picking up German lagers, when I started drinking craft I avoid lagers and won't drink them, but now I really enjoy a well made lager.

30. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,432) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

dcotom, Billet and VABA like this.
  31. singletary

singletary Devotee (439) Nov 8, 2015 Mississippi

The new go to beer for me are stouts, was not a dark beer guy then tried a Sam Adams one and have been hooked. I also and slowly getting into IPA, still find some to bitter but have found some I liked( Abita Big Easy IPA).

32. Billet

Billet Devotee (476) Dec 17, 2013 Michigan
    Society

I have been most impressed by some really good Blonde Ales lately, followed very closely by Wits...

larryi86 likes this.
  33. LankFreudRyte

LankFreudRyte Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2008 Illinois

Too many pale ales are replaceable, give me an ESB <4% abv with bitterring hops and caramel malts and a case shows up on my doorstep weekly, I've found my new favorite style

larryi86 likes this.
  34. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,151) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I too seemed that Old Ales/American Strong Ales/Barleywines were my last styles to get into and enjoy, and seems I've found a few in each now that I actually love.

larryi86 likes this.
  35. deleted_user_1111368

deleted_user_1111368 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2016 Delaware

I can't drink grapefruit or heavy pineapple hopped IPA's (they bother my stomach), but I like the hoppiness in them. I love stouts and porters.

While reading reviews here on BA, I learned about Black IPA's.. with a more upfront dark maltiness, and a decent, yet not-overpowering hop flavor. I cracked open a Misspillion Black Tie, and it was WOW time!

Black Tie
    Fin City - BlackFin
    21st Amendment - Back In Black

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.