Beers Similar to Guinness

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Civic_Duty, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Civic_Duty

Civic_Duty Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2018 Minnesota

I'm trying to find localish craft/microbrews that are similar to Guinness or at least something done in the same style that doesn't use nitro. Am I dreaming that this even exists?

2. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,037) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Guinness Draught is 4.2% ABV. You'll have a hard time finding something comparable at that ABV locally, but one to try is Blk Wlf from Able Seedhouse & Brewery (3.7%). I found it to be very flavorful despite its low ABV.

If you are comparing with Guiness Extra Stout (5%), you can try the Irish Stout from Tin Whiskers, but it is more sweet than dry (and it is also probably a seasonal for St. Patrick's Day).

If you are comparing with Guiness Foreign Extra Stout (7.5%), then you might consider Dissent Dark Ale from Steel Toe, Dead Irish Poet from Finnegans, or even George Hunter from Castle Danger. I have not tried any of those.

3. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (433) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  4. islay

islay Aspirant (205) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

Linked is a list of dry stouts brewed by Minnesota breweries. Only a few of them will be available currently.

5. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (3,249) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota

If you are looking for something that you can buy in stores. Then Dead Irish Poet would be your best bet. I really enjoy that stout. It is definitely stronger than regular Guinness.