Beers similar to KBS

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by djrn2, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djrn2

djrn2 Poo-Bah (1,882) Nov 4, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Im tring to set up a blind taste test and need some beers similar to KBS. Suggestions?

2. riotinmyskull

riotinmyskull Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2011 Virginia

Alewerks Cafe Royale
    Hardywood Bourbon Sidamo
    Goose Island Bourbon County Coffee Stout
    Epic Big Bad Baptist
    Bell's Black Note Stout
    Firestone Walker Parabola

3. bpolglaze

bpolglaze Initiate (197) Feb 2, 2007 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Central Waters - Peruvian Morning

4. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (386) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

BA Old Rasputin XV was very similar although expensive.

ressling likes this.
  5. unclejazz

unclejazz Defender (606) Oct 24, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

6. Holsie

Holsie Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2012 South Carolina

Olde Hickory Event Horizon--extremely well done from a small craft brewer in NC. Try it.

legend8706 and fredmugs like this.
  7. fredmugs

fredmugs Poo-Bah (1,527) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I had KBS at the release party and did not find it "hot" or "boozy" at all like I did with BCBS and Black Note. I don't think those are good similarities. I had Peruvian Morning and Event Horizon at the KBS bottle share party and those were amazing and, IMO, better comparisons.

8. okcommuter

okcommuter Initiate (193) Dec 25, 2012 Michigan

I don't know if you can get it, but New Holland Dragon's Milk is decent.

9. Nectar

Nectar Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2013 New Jersey

Peruvian morning is the closest I've had. That's a great beer

10. beercanman

beercanman Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 Ohio

Big bad Baptist,

11. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,439) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Big Bad Baptist was pretty damn good.

AnotherImperial and Bonis like this.
  12. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,652) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

^ This

13. BarrelAgedBrian

BarrelAgedBrian Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2013 Massachusetts

Jack's Abby Bourbon Barrel-Aged Framinghammer

Rekrule likes this.
  14. ao125

ao125 Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2010 Virginia

I love BBB, really, I do... but I haven't found a batch yet that actually tastes like bourbon.
    Sure, tons of chocolate, espresso, malt. It's a delicious beer, but not a lot of bourbon character.

j47paco, camil1mj and deuce9259 like this.
  15. bearsxco

bearsxco Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2011 Massachusetts

Just had the Jacks Abby last night. Very close to KBS

16. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Meyvn (1,487) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

Most bourbon barrel-aged stouts have really rough edges (which I kind of like). I've never come across anything as smooth as KBS (except for CBS and Against the Grain's Bo & Luke, which you'll likely never find). I've never had Peruvian Morning, but I have heard from numerous people that it's the closest thing they've come across.

Since nobody else has mentioned it, I'll throw Hoppin' Frog's Barrel-Aged BORIS the Crusher out there. It's not in the same league as KBS drinkability-wise (or flavor-wise since it's not a coffee stout), but it is a really nice beer that's found on shelves and therefore not hard to find or trade for.

Weyerbacher Heresy is also very easy to find. It lacks the body and intensity of flavor that KBS has, but it is pretty smooth (almost like a barrel-aged porter).

Sludgeman and YaKnowBrady like this.
  17. jar72404

jar72404 Initiate (137) May 31, 2009 Florida

This year's FBS is very similar to this year's KBS.

gcamparone likes this.
  18. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Champion (840) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Peruvian Morning is really amazing and very much under the radar, until now. My liquor store guy actually recommended it to me. We were talking about BBA stouts and my reluctance to open my BCBS. He said try this one first. He also said it is so perfectly smooth that, if he had nowhere to go, he could sip on them all day long. Now that I've had both, he's right. (Plus, Central Waters offers up no InBev guilt:wink:). I do want to try KBS because I am such a fan of Breakfast Stout. With all the other BBA stouts people you great BA's are listing here, the KBS whale can swim off into the sunset this year with no regrets. My whale hunting skills are modest, at best.

SourAddict likes this.
  19. adamant1912

adamant1912 Disciple (371) Jan 10, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I've been hoarding one of these since I passed through NC last January per recommendation by the dude at Binnys.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  20. GoBlue12

GoBlue12 Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2013 Illinois

In addition to Peruvian Morning, I had a bottle of Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout last night. I thought it was also a pretty good comparison to KBS (which I had the night before). Similar aroma and appearance. Taste was a little more toned-down IMO.

21. MichPaul

MichPaul Zealot (597) Jan 28, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Lies!
    The guy has a serious question. If I was serious, and someone put these two as close suggestions for a side by side, I would be pissed at them. Although, I would have just had two top notch, world class beers that taste nothing alike...
    Anyway I plus one to BBPt5th by Dark Horse although you would have to do some trades for it. It would be sweet in a side by side tasting to also have a 12'oz Bell's Blacknote as well, but these are both very hard to come by.
    Enjoy the tasting. Sounds wonderful!

22. nineball

nineball Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2013 New York

No offense meant whatsoever, but no way in hell is that true

23. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,218) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Expensive, but Older Viscosity is similar IMO and very, very good.

Rekrule, 2beerdogs and MrRockstar like this.
  24. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Meyvn (1,487) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

Technically, ``this year's FBS'' hasn't been released yet, so maybe he knows something we don't.

On the other hand, he's fulla shit.

25. biga7346

biga7346 Aspirant (295) Jun 19, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Big bad baptist and parabola are probably the closest to KBS I have had, they're more balanced, not as sweet and boozy as BCS or BBPT5th IMO

26. owen49

owen49 Initiate (149) Jun 13, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

You know the way that some people want everyone to shut up about Tilquin Gueuze and 3F Oude Geuze just sitting on shelves?

That's how I'm feeling about everyone here talking up Big Bad Baptist.

AnotherImperial, szmnnl99 and ESeab like this.
  27. MortalKombat14

MortalKombat14 Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2012 Michigan

Can't say I've had anything that's quite as similar to KBS. I'd imagine I'd be able to tell the difference 9 times out of 10 in a blind taste test. The key to drinking KBS is letting it be close to room temperature when you drink it. When you do that, 4 to 5 different flavors come through. If you drink it while it's cold you'll miss out on it. The one beer I get the bourbon, malt and vanilla taste just as well from and is almost just as good as KBS is Backwoods Bastard. However, those are two different styles.

28. loweball727

loweball727 Aspirant (214) Apr 26, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S.

29. DLDlulz

DLDlulz Aspirant (213) Feb 15, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I third CW Peruvian Morning and the price is right too.

ObiWanKushnobi and creepinjeeper like this.
  30. incutrav

incutrav Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2007 Minnesota

If you can find a non-infected bottle, PM is great. Big problem w/ bottles again this year, check our the Great Lakes/Midwest forum for details

31. vivasbeer

vivasbeer Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2012 Michigan

Peruvian Morning is a Joke. Why seek out a beer that has a very good chance of being infected and sour? Second year in a row I've been burned by that beer. KBS is also 3 tiers above it, even when its good.

32. Buff0910

Buff0910 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2013 Alabama

Am trying central waters barrel reserve tonight so will report back, but as someone else said I find KBS to be much less boozy and more coffee forward than black note. Also am trying BCBCS this weekend for the first time and will try side by side if I get more KBS today.

33. DLDlulz

DLDlulz Aspirant (213) Feb 15, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I've had 6 bottles so far and no infection in any bottle.

34. bpolglaze

bpolglaze Initiate (197) Feb 2, 2007 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I purchased a case at the Anniversary party in January and all have been great so far. The additional time in the barrel this year really bumped this beer up a notch. Hope the infection issues get taken care of.

35. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Initiate (160) Mar 4, 2013 Michigan

I didn't think KBS lived up to the hype. However, I did drink a Dragon's Milk after a KBS and the KBS blew it out of the water. I used to really like DM, but it tasted like coconut and.chocolate nastiness.

36. iceatalamo

iceatalamo Initiate (183) Dec 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

A lot of the ones being offered here do not have the coffee aspect to it. Like BCBS or BBPt5. They are close, but you are really missing the coffee. So far the ones that I think offer up the most would be BCBCS and PM.

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  37. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Meyvn (1,247) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

wake n bake kinda sorta

38. mscott1975

mscott1975 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2011 Pennsylvania

I see you're from Jersey so you might be able to find Weyerbacher Heresy pretty easily. Not as good as KBS but I guess your blind palates will have the final say.

GratefulJack likes this.
  39. incutrav

incutrav Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2007 Minnesota

Im glad some PM is fine, however there are way to many reports out there of bad bottles to kiss twelve bucks goodbye for possible drainpours.

40. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,439) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

\\

More like FBS without the Bourbon influence, IMO W&B is superior. The Bourbon influence is what separates KBS from the other purly coffee stouts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.