1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Beers styles - IPA family

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MNAle, Apr 15, 2019 at 6:00 PM.

1. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,398) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

The following is an official list of IPA family styles. This list has been published / recognized recently by RateBeer. They have not yet published their description of each (at least not that I could find), so the name is all there is for now.

(Bold indicates a style Beeradvocate has a close equivalent.)

IIPA - Imperial / Double IPA
    IIPA - Imperial Hazy / NEIPA
    IPA - American / West Coast
    IPA - Belgian
    IPA - Black/Brown/Cascadian Dark
    IPA - Brut
    IPA - English

IPA - Flavored
    IPA - Hazy / NEIPA
    IPA - Milkshake
    IPA - Red
    IPA - Rye / RyePA
    IPA - Sour / Wild
    IPA - White

Comments?

AlcahueteJ and PapaGoose03 like this.
  2. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,344) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

You posted at 1:00 ET and it's 2:40 now with no other replies, so maybe the list is complete. HOWEVER, one could make the case for a New Zealand IPA since so many hops are grown there and an IPA brewed exclusively with those hops should be a NZIPA. Other countries could also fit that definition too (that's mostly the reason the the English IPA). And then there's eventually going to the the Imperial version of many of these. :wink:

dcotom and mikeinportc like this.
  3. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (1,740) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

In my mind, in no specific order

American Black Ale covers the Black/CDA category, and it doesn’t need another label

No need for a ‘flavored IPA’ category. I say that should just go in the beer’s description

I think “milkshake” IPA’s should be grouped with NEIPA

I’m not sure what a Red IPA is?

mikeinportc likes this.
  4. Zach423

Zach423 Initiate (66) Dec 9, 2018 Massachusetts

Milkshake IPAs are very different than hazy IPAs since one has lactose and tastes similar to a milkshake and one doesn't...
    If we're not separating NEIPAs and milkshake IPAs then why separate American IPAs from NEIPAs right? They even taste more similar

5. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,174) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

H'oh boy. :rolling_eyes:

ericwo, SFACRKnight and mambossa like this.
  6. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,174) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

People are really saying that? Had a lot of milkshakes and beer in my life, never thought either were comparable -- even the muddy IPAs people refer to as "milkshake." Always wrote that off to appearance, not flavor of any sort.

beertunes, SFACRKnight and ManBearPat like this.
  7. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (1,799) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

What is a RateBeer? Never heard of it...

8. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (27) May 15, 2018 Virginia

I think Flavored and MilkShake should be in their own category, something like 'IPA w/ Adjuncts' as I like to know if there is an additive in the beer, it's not always clear on the label.

What is a Red IPA? Seems those beers would just be IPAs or Amber/Red Ales.

Brut IPA, no need, hopefully they won't be around for much longer and can just be left as IPAs.

9. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Crusader (731) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Society Trader

We need the "IIPA - Imperial Hazy / NEIPA" over here.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  10. zid

zid Savant (978) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Official shmofficial. Just another list. :wink:

RateBeer's main style page appears to be broken... which is "funny" considering the muscle behind them.

You've also missed or ignored their: ISA - Session IPA, Pale Lager - India / Hoppy, and about 7 varieties of "pale ale"... some of which match the IPA breakdowns (like Pale Ale - Rye), while others (for the sake of inconsistency :thinking_face:) don't match (like Pale Ale - Australian / NZ). @PapaGoose03

I'm annoying, so I get annoyed by how slashes either signify two terms that people use interchangeably or a grouping of related things... and sometimes even both in the same entry (like IPA - Black/Brown/Cascadian Dark).

11. hopsputin

Society

Personally, I’ve not had a milkshake ipa or NEIPA with lactose that’s made me think it’s needed to be a different style than NEIPA.

I do see a difference though between the super hazy, no carbonation, no bitterness NEIPA’s and something like a Racer 5 or Lunch. Bigger difference in taste, mouthfeel, and appearance to me. I’ll admit though, that my sample size for milkshake IPA’s isn’t huge

12. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,398) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Yeah, I missed the ISA... it blended into the IPLs. And, I intentionally left out all of their other styles, focusing on the over-abundance (IMO) of IPA styles. And, "official" only means it is by a site that maintains beers classifications and ratings... and not just a list by some guy.

And, it is ironic (or something) that a site with such financial resources hires a company to re-do their web site, and they break it; it's been broken for weeks now, with brief periods of running correctly.

13. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,379) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

Looks like a good list to me. I'm on board.

14. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,294) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

IPA discussion with inappropriate use of the term adjunct? My head just exploded.

mambossa, AlcahueteJ, steveh and 2 others like this.
  15. nw2571

nw2571 Initiate (51) Feb 26, 2017 Indiana

Just for completeness (not that I necessarily think we should have all these styles) I listed others on Untappd that weren't on your list. There might be others, these were styles that I've had.

IPA - Imperial / Double Black
    IPA - International (really??)
    IPA - Session / India Session Ale
    IPA - Triple

Some beers use quad / quadruple in their name, but none of the sites recognize that style that I'm aware of. Just a matter of time I suppose until we see "quints" :rolling_eyes:

gatornation and PapaGoose03 like this.
  16. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Aspirant (221) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

So a New England IPA isn't in the same group as American IPA? But a West coast IPA is?

Whatever.

Junior, PapaGoose03 and zid like this.
  17. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (1,955) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

I can live without it, and can live without them too if it means more West Coast IPAs, pilsners, brown ales and ambers pouring from my local taps.

18. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Savant (931) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I dunno about that.

I think there's a VAST difference between something like Sierra Nevada Torpedo and Trillium Congress Street. Everything from mouthfeel, to appearance, to bitterness, malt character...really the only thing that's similar is that they both use a lot of hops.

Whereas really the big difference with a "milkshake" and a New England IPA is the addition of lactose and perhaps fruit. They otherwise both have subtle if any malt presence, low bitterness, full mouthfeel, juiciness...etc.

Yup, they are saying that. I've had a bunch, they don't really taste like milkshakes (or frappes) to me. I think the name likely comes more from the use of lactose, their appearance, and the fact that a brewer will add things like fruit, vanilla, blueberries, whatever...

jakecattleco, Zach423 and beer_beer like this.
  19. StJamesGate

StJamesGate Poo-Bah (4,198) Oct 8, 2007 New York

What goes into true NEIPA is unmistakably different - water chemistry, adjuncts, yeast variety - from mainline American IPA.

Can't say that about West Coast IPA...

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  20. officerbill

officerbill Initiate (196) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Mostly Russian & East European imports, they're hold overs from old Soviet breweries.

SFACRKnight, nw2571 and hopsputin like this.
  21. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (567) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Red/Amber Ale + Hops = Red IPA
    Like...
    [​IMG]

However, there were hoppy red or amber beers in existence years before the trend to jam "IPA" into the name of every beer possible. Like...
    [​IMG]
    In Soviet Russia beer drink you!

22. officerbill

officerbill Initiate (196) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

SFACRKnight likes this.
  23. hopsputin

Society

Thanks. I had a feeling it might be something like a hoppy amber (was specifically thinking about Nugget Nectar lol).

Ranbot likes this.
  24. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (4,823) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Your not from around here are you?:stuck_out_tongue::astonished:

25. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,692) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

As a beer drinker I find that depiction offensive ... I have a beard.

Milktoast75 and officerbill like this.
  26. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,735) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Only two, ones that I’ll buy , ones that I won’t.

27. nw2571

nw2571 Initiate (51) Feb 26, 2017 Indiana

Then of course there are the imperial ones you won't buy, imperial ones that you will...

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  28. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Devotee (480) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

At the end of the day they are all "Pale Ales". :grin:

29. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (174) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

This is getting ridiculous...

ESHBG and PapaGoose03 like this.
  30. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Savant (931) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Don't forget Budget IPAs, Mid-tier priced IPAs, Expensive IPAs...

Oh and there's also the Canadian IPAs, better known as IP-Aye...

...and Fonzie IPAs known as IPAyyy...the list goes on and on...

31. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,344) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I was going to suggest that it's time to end this thread, but then along comes this golden nugget to cause me to bust out laughing. I'll defer on my closing recommendation in hopes that there might be more gems.

FBarber likes this.