Beers that smell much better than they taste

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by krl2112, Apr 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krl2112

krl2112 Crusader (725) Nov 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone have the same experience with certain beers or a certain brewery? Mine is with Trillium. I know they get a lot of praise and I LOVE their Dialed In and think it is amazing. To me, it tastes as juicy as it smells. But then I have had a few others of theirs that smell great and when I taste them, they just don't live up to their "nose". Has this happened to you? Again, it seems to be with Trillium for me overall but I have had a few others that I have experienced similar. Thoughts?

TongoRad likes this.
  2. thepenguin

thepenguin Devotee (460) Aug 8, 2010 Massachusetts

Had this recently with Lost Nation Mosaic IPA: smelled delightful, but the taste absolutely failed to follow up and was really thin compared to the nose. I think with popular, very expensive new hop varieties brewers sometimes hedge their bets with dry hopping and can neglect flavor additions.

3. SLewis

SLewis Aspirant (258) Jun 17, 2014 North Carolina

Southern Tier Creme Brûlée.
    Smells phenomenal, but it's just too sweet to drink an entire bottle for my personal tastes.

4. mambossa

mambossa Aspirant (241) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

This has happened to me a lot of times on many FFF imperial ales. Not to say the nose gives false hope, but their dry hopping is extremely vibrant and intense, while the brew itself manages to be quite drinkable and less intricate flavor-wise. Still very delicious in flavor, but some of their noses are straight fuckin explosive and gorgeous (i.e. Amber Smashed Face, Sabertooth Berzerker, Denim Throne, although very nice flavor-wise)

algebeeric_topology likes this.
  5. lambpasty

lambpasty Devotee (426) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

So far everything from Lord Hobo.

phillyhops and cavedave like this.
  6. BenwayPHD

BenwayPHD Aspirant (289) Sep 4, 2014 California

I feel this way about all session ipas, with the exception of Hoppy Birthday which is delicious. I find they often smell fantastic but taste thin and watery.

Fargrow, GetMeAnIPA and JamesMN like this.
  7. doktorhops

doktorhops Poo-Bah (1,981) Jan 12, 2011 Australia
    Society

Yeah anything hop heavy - APAs, IPAs, Cascadian Dark Ales - I occasionally find to be under-flavoured, especially certain beers of these styles from NZ.

8. Grindelvasdrum

Grindelvasdrum Initiate (167) Aug 9, 2015 Kentucky

For many (but not all by any means) bourbon barrel aged ales, it seems so to me.

Mlkluther likes this.
  9. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,774) May 7, 2015 Florida
    Society

PumpkinHead, it had a pumpkin spice smell. Didn't care so much for the taste.

gopens44 and Grindelvasdrum like this.
  10. yesterdayfaraway

yesterdayfaraway Meyvn (1,080) May 21, 2015 Missouri

11. zizouandyuki

zizouandyuki Aspirant (247) Nov 26, 2015 Texas

Hair of the Dog Blue Dot. Smelled like heaven, tasted like the hair of a dog.

rab53 and krl2112 like this.
  12. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,801) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Most of these more modern IPAs just aren't doing it for me these days; the combination of the low malt presence and bone dry powdery finish usually just leaves me hanging, wondering what in the hell just happened. There's a definite incongruity between the nose and the palate happening, and it seems to be by design. Maybe if you literally get these things a day or two old it's different, but I just had a Grimm Tesseract this week on draught right as it was released, and was left with the same feeling.

13. bound4er

bound4er Crusader (777) Jul 4, 2007 Wisconsin

Lots of candidates come to mind - most recent is Pineapple Sculpin.

krl2112 likes this.
  14. jmasher85

jmasher85 Zealot (575) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland
    Trader

I often find this to be the case with IPAs more than other styles, especially older ones that are past their prime. The nose is still fruity, resiny, and complex, while the taste is bland and lifeless.

connecticutpoet likes this.
  15. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,927) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Lag Waldo Special Ale. Great tasting beer, but the smell is almost perfect. Fits the definition of smelling better than it tastes.

nc41 and FrancisT like this.
  16. Cameron_como

Cameron_como Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2015 Missouri

Southern Tier Creme Brulee - smells delicious, tastes like cigarette ash and sweetener

17. ianous

ianous Initiate (79) Oct 26, 2013 Connecticut

Unfortunately this is becoming an all too common trend with these fruity beers.

18. BrewsingBuffalo

BrewsingBuffalo Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2015 New York

I'll add in one that I actually love: Mosaic Promise. It tastes great, but the aroma is incredibly enticing- I should note though, with a big brewer like Founders, I've never had this beer truly fresh, which is certainly a factor (maybe 1 1/2 months is the youngest I've had it-probably closer to 2).

19. AdmiralOzone

AdmiralOzone Poo-Bah (2,124) Jun 26, 2014 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Agree 100 percent.

VABA likes this.
  20. FrancisT

FrancisT Initiate (101) Apr 11, 2008 Vermont

Was here to say the same. On tap it smells amazing, then it just tastes pretty good.

jvgoor3786 likes this.
  21. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Savant (957) Nov 19, 2011 Kentucky
    Trader

Most ballast point. As others have mentioned mango even keel and pineapple sculpin

connecticutpoet likes this.
  22. RLVineh

RLVineh Initiate (139) Jun 21, 2014 California
    Trader

Every Cycle stout that I've ever had... Smell amazing, fall extremely short of what the smell is

23. Grindelvasdrum

Grindelvasdrum Initiate (167) Aug 9, 2015 Kentucky

Yeah, I think it's true for many of the pumpkin beers too, even though it's one of my fav styles.

24. Hat_Fulla_Beer

Hat_Fulla_Beer Zealot (583) Dec 14, 2015 Canada

I had a gruit a little while ago that smelled fantastic, like spiced cherry cola. The taste reminded me how important hops are to most beer.

25. Gemini6

Gemini6 Devotee (458) Oct 5, 2013 Michigan

Just last night I had such an experience with Stone's Old Guardian Dry Hopped with Pekko Hops. The flavor wasn't bad by any stretch, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but the aroma had this amazing caramelized lemon pastry-like note I kept picking up that I never quite got in the flavor, which left me slightly disappointed even though it was still a good beer.

deanzaZZR and connecticutpoet like this.
  26. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,972) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

+1. If Boom Sauce tasted like it smelled it would be a top ten beer.

lambpasty likes this.
  27. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,507) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

When you pop the top you can smell it 5 feet away. Tastes good too.

jvgoor3786 likes this.
  28. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (450) Feb 19, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

Every Funky Buddha beer

BobGNARley352 and raynmoon like this.
  29. Kb024

Kb024 Initiate (156) Jun 11, 2015 California
    Trader

I'm not the biggest ballast point fan so i dont know why i feel like i should defend it but i recently kind of gave sculpin a second chance and do appreciate it more now. Its a solid ipa. I understand why alot of people say pineapple sculpin... I was disappointed at first too until i had it on tap along side duet, soul style, and space dust. The pineapple sculpin was as enjoyable or maybe better than the others on that occasion and duet and space dust are 2 of my steady favorites. I will say that It doesnt taste as much like pineapple as it smells but thats not a bad thing.
    Freshness is the key to any ipa but if you guys are buying 2 month old or older bottles of pineapple sculpin probly stored unrefridgerated, then your definetely not going to get the full effect. and your going to be disappointed like...why i just pay $16 for this??? .If you see it on tap I think its worth a try. If you're the guy who buys a bomber without checking the date, its not going to go so great for you.

VABA and connecticutpoet like this.
  30. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (558) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

It has been drinking nicely (wierd expression) today and Thursday. My wife took a swig off hers a few minutes ago and mentioned "it's strong!". Hopefully she doesn't see the ABV on the label.

Gemini6 and jvgoor3786 like this.
  31. Boosully

Boosully Initiate (152) Apr 8, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Odd Side Ales Mayan Mocha: I find the regular version to taste OK but smell amazing.

The taste of the BB imperial version matches the smell and when right, is one of my favorites.

32. connecticutpoet

connecticutpoet Poo-Bah (2,198) Jun 10, 2004 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Last night's WBAYDN beer. Sam Adams Nitro IPA. Smell was luscious, but the taste was all bitterness, and not even like a pine bitterness. The consistency was great, I'd love to have another (better) IPA in a nitro version, but in this case the taste just did not live up to the aroma.

33. DIPAFAN

DIPAFAN Devotee (497) Dec 16, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

Hazels Nuts. The taste was good, but I was expecting it to be amazing based on the smell.

Fargrow likes this.
  34. sajaffe1

sajaffe1 Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2013 Utah

Orange Blossom Pilsner smells pretty good with that orange blossom honey, but it tastes like piss.

35. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (567) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Could not agree more.

One that seemed to "buck" that trend for me was Founders Mosaic Promise--curious as to your thoughts. Had a great hop bite but a nice back bone and a lot going on for a single hop beer. To get great flavor and 5.5% was another refreshing detail when single IPAs and even what some call pales are stretching to higher and higher ABVs.

Gemini6, BrewsingBuffalo and TongoRad like this.
  36. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,801) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I still haven't gotten around to that one yet, but if I do see some fresh ones I'll definitely grab it. Thanks for the rec!

37. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (851) Jan 19, 2013 Canada

I recently bought a bottle of some newly-released local beer, and as with any other new beer, I was extremely excited to try it. It's a Coffee Bean Porter and as soon as I took a whiff, my excitement only grew: this stuff smelled like a fine dark roast (as a Coffee junkie, there is no better smell). Unfortunately, the taste was fairly weak and the body was even weaker.

Here's to hoping they get it right the next time they release a new batch.

38. OldManMetal

OldManMetal Devotee (487) Jun 5, 2015 North Carolina

39. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,689) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

For me, most extremely pungent west coast IPA's smell better than they taste.
    On the nose I get tropical fruit, citrus, pine, and maybe a little cannabis.
    Taste-wise, a lot of them devolve into mangos covered in red onions...which is only 1/2 good.

PhilsPils and utopiajane like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.