Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Beers to try from Arkansas, Tennessee, & Mississippi...?

Discussion in 'South' started by LumberhillBeer, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LumberhillBeer

LumberhillBeer Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2010 California

I'll be traveling next week from CA to MS. I wanted to see what beers should I try to get or drink on the way.

I've already gotten input from people in the Southwest, I was hoping to see if anyone from Arkansas Tennessee, or Mississippi had any beer suggestions to look out for that CA doesn't get.

I've never had beers outside of CA distribution so I'm unfamiliar with what is recommended in the south.

I'm open for recommendations of beers (open to any style) and breweries to try. If there are any beers to avoid I'd appreciate your input as well.

2. Volsdawg10

Volsdawg10 Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2013 Mississippi

Unfortunately this region is really lacking in craft beer. Nashville will be your best city to go to out of the three states you listed. They have several good breweries and definitely the most when it comes to one city in the region - Yazoo, Fat Bottom,Calfkiller, Jackalope, Turtle Anarchy, MayDay, and several more. Mississippi is very limited. Lazy Magnolia and Lucky Town are about all MS has to offer. Arkansas has a couple in Little Rock and then several in NW Arkansas around Fayettville. In AR I would recommend Saddlebock but unfortunately they don't bottle so you would have to go to their brewery.

As far as a restaurant/bar you could go to I would suggest Flying Saucer. They have locations in Little Rock, Memphis, and Nashville. They have the best selection when it comes to bottles and beers on tap.

ImperatorScab likes this.
  3. LumberhillBeer

Cool, thanks for the recommendations. I'll keep those names in mind when passing through these states.

I'll be passing through Memphis and Little Rock so I'll keep an eye out for Flying Saucer.

4. cvm4

cvm4 Meyvn (1,133) Apr 27, 2011 Mississippi
    Beer Trader

Except for Lazy Mag, the other MS breweries are draft only. Safe travels to you.

5. Volsdawg10

Volsdawg10 Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2013 Mississippi

Memphis also has Ghost River and Boscos. Ghost River brews some pretty decent stuff. Right now they only bottle one of their beers (Golden Ale) but if you go by their brewery you can get growler fills. They will have 3-4 beers to choose from on that. Boscos is a restaurant and they brew 4-5 different beers depending on seasonal stuff.

6. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (320) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

NWArkansas is the place. Sounds like you won't be in the area though. I think Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan Brown Ale would be your best bet. Actually, your situation is not as dire some would have you believe.

7. Dracarys

Dracarys Initiate (0) May 28, 2013 Alabama

Lazy Magnolia's brown ale and milk stout are very good.

Straight To Ale, Good People, and Blue Pants from Alabama are in Tennessee, but I'm not sure about their Memphis distribution. STA was also supposed to be in Mississippi this month.

8. BrewAskew

BrewAskew Meyvn (1,457) Feb 28, 2002 Oklahoma

Little Rock Downtown: Vino's at 7th and Chester is the best brewpub. A very casual place where the beers are generally very good, the Pizza is good and the Calzones are the best I ever tasted. About five block away from Vino's is Diamond Bear tap room at 323 Cross street, three blocks from the Capitol, is a good stop. They have tours with free samples on the weekends. Their Porter is their highest rated brew and their pale ale is usually solid but mundane. The catch at DB is that they only are open to the public on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. But, you CAN buy beer to go from any Arkansas brewery (growlers, bottles, kegs) on Sundays. Ditto for Arkansas wineries. If you find yourself in the river market district, a beer session in Flying Saucer is your best bet for variety. There is a Bosco's location in LR near FS, but you can have that in Memphis or Nashville. A new nanobrewery in Little Rock is set to open in a week or so but they might not be open by the time you arrive. It's called Stone's Throw and is at 9th and Rock street near MacArthur Park and the Arts Center. Across the river in North Little Rock's Argenta district are a few bars that are craft-oriented as well. If you find yourself in West Little Rock (basically the I-430 corridor and parts west), I hear that Khalil's Pub is a good craft beer spot. Never been there but I saw their beer list online and it's not anything near like the Saucer. Not worth the trip unless you are stuck out that way and pressed for time. There is also Rock Town Distillery in Downtown LR if you are into distilled spirits.

9. BrewAskew

Note about Ghost River in Memphis... Their Irish Red Ale (Copperhead) is worth seeking out if you like the style. Extremely good stuff. Golden Ale is a good Kolsch.

10. BrewAskew

What's your route and how much time do you have? It sounds like you are coming in on I-40. You COULD try a zig zag approach from OKC (there are good number of places there), take the turnpike (I-44) to Tulsa (stop at McNellie's and try a Dead Armadillo Amber and let me know what you think) then due east through NWA (Fayetteville/Springdale -- several spots there) and then down I-540 to get back on I-40 to Little Rock and then on to Memphis.
    [​IMG]

Mscarpen likes this.
  11. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (7,686) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

Hit Bier Garten in Jenks, OK if you are near Tulsa ( Mon-Saturday)

BrewAskew likes this.
  12. LumberhillBeer

Thanks for all the posts everyone! I'll look into all of this and try to plan accordingly. I'm not sure how fast I may be rolling through the area(s) mentioned, but I'll be jotting all these notes down and taking into consideration some possible beer stops along the way. Cheers!

13. CRJMellor

CRJMellor Poo-Bah (1,684) Nov 12, 2003 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

Core Brewing in Springdale, AR and Fossil Cove in Fayetteville, AR worth a quick stop if you hit the I-540 corridor. Core's Red Ipa, Black IPA and ESB are excellent. Fossil Cove always some god brews. Fossil Cover starting to pump out bottles from time to time.

14. slatetupelo

slatetupelo Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2007 Mississippi

Lazy Magnolia's Timber Beast (rye DIPA) and Crooked Letter brewing's Mystery Romp (chocolate/coffee porter) are the two best beers from MS imo. I haven't had a chance to sample anything from Lucky Town yet. The Mystery Romp is draft only.

Crooked Letter has a listing of availability on their site: http://crookedletterbrewing.com/welcome_2.html

Lazy Magnolia has a beer finder on their site: http://lazymagnolia.com/#brand-finder/

15. jcdgoad

jcdgoad Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2008 Arkansas

In Little Rock I also would recommend professor Bowl West. They have over 300 beers in bottles and almost 30 taps.

Also Big Orange has the best burgers in town, 8 great taps and about 50 bottles.

Mellow Mushroom just opened and they have 40 craft taps and 40 bottles.

16. capnamerica

capnamerica Devotee (427) Feb 19, 2013 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

17. BrewAskew

Krebs is off the path considerably. It is several miles south of I-40 near McAlester. A nice place to visit if you have time, but if you had to choose, head to NWA and down to LR after Tulsa. You can get Prairie and Choc products (Krebs Brewing Co.) all over OK and AR in a liquor store.

18. mcmeador

mcmeador Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2012 Mississippi

I was wondering why you didn't mention Ghost River the first time around considering your avatar. :slight_smile:

We also have a new brewery in Memphis called High Cotton Brewing. I tried a couple of their beers at Memphis Brewfest in April, and they were good. You can check out the "Enjoy Here" section on their web site to see where their beer is currently being served:

http://highcottonbrewing.com/

Now I know the TC's trip has already come and gone, but I just figured I'd spread the word for anyone else interested.

19. BrewAskew

Thanks, I will look for it next time I am in the area.

20. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2006 Alabama

Good People and Back40 from Alabama are available in MS to some extent.

21. swooshjtb

swooshjtb Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2010 Mississippi

Southern Prohibition is now canning Suzy B and Devil's Harvest. I know that they are available in Jackson. The brewery and brewpub are in Hattiesburg (about 1.5 hours south of Jackson). Lucky Town's Flare Incident is a pretty good stout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.