Beers with high alcohol content

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Shanex, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,586) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

So I thought about this the other day while having a 'Bière du démon ' which is 12%, about twice the alcohol content than your 'average beer'. My question is, at what point do you consider it is too much? Above 10%? Do you like them, the more alcohol the better, or not?

Note: after a quick search I stumbled across this article with ridiculously high on alcohol beers, personally at least for these mentioned it's not even beer anymore, more like hard alcohol. However, being curious if could give it a try someday.

http://brobible.com/guyism/article/beers-ridiculously-high-alcohol-content/

2. DaverCS

DaverCS Zealot (579) Dec 9, 2014 Arizona

If after a 12oz pour your close to trashed... its probably too much ABV.

Shanex likes this.
  3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,711) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I don't think the ABV level should be a factor in choosing a beer, and I don't know why breweries choose to make these beers. I suppose it's the challenge to be able to create a big beer and have it be drinkable. They are always a small batch effort so there is no widespread distribution, and probably always pricey to minimize the loss cost to the brewery. Style and taste are my sole determining factor in choosing a beer. I'm not in it to get plastered, buzzed, etc. I'm just in it to have an enjoyable beverage. So I'll say that 8% is the point that is too much if I might want to have more than a couple of them.

Casterbridge, neenerzig and Shanex like this.
  4. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,411) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

If Bcbs was 10% instead of 14% without sacrificing anything at all, I'd be all in. If Heady was the same and it was 5% all the better. Styles are what they are, but the higher Abv isn't a plus it just is what it is.

5. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,443) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I routinely enjoy beers in the higher ABV range (10% and up). Ten Fidy and Bell's Expedition Stout are two of my favorites, and at 10.5% are not "hot" at all. I did not find Pirate BOMB! boozy, even at 14%. Molotov Cocktail Heavy, at 17.2%, is even (dangerously?) quite manageable. None of there are "too high" in ABV, as the alcohol provides a nice complement to the other nuances; however, I wouldn't go pounding a bunch of any of them.

6. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Canada

ABV not really a factor in my purchases unless i'm out and need to drive afterwards.

7. LankFreudRyte

LankFreudRyte Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2008 Illinois

My wife approves of the following pours:
    <4% abv: quart
    4-7.25% abv: pint
    7.26-15% abv: 1/2 pint
    >15% abv: 1/4 pint

Lucular, Shanex and otispdriftwood like this.
  8. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

There's a place at the table for high alcohol beers, otherwise they wouldn't be made. Personally, it all depends on what I'm in the mood for.

9. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,586) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Thanks folks... of course buzz driving is best avoided. Anything between 6 to 10% make a good beer for me. Anything less like bud or Coors and the like or on the other side of the coin 12%+ doesn't. As for the article yep it looks like a challenge between some breweries to make the strongest beer ever. 65% seriously?

10. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,068) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

My wife has an uncanny ability to guess the ABV of the beer I'm drinking based on one taste. To me, anything over 10% is high. To my wife, anything over 6% is high.

Shanex likes this.
  11. do_ob

do_ob Crusader (745) Feb 12, 2015 Kentucky

Idk but I still really want Black Tuesday.

Jaxbeerdude likes this.
  12. Coorsy

Coorsy Defender (657) Jul 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

As long as i dont taste the alcohol (like rubbing alcohol) then its good. No Matter what the ABV. Ive had 5% beers that somehow manage to taste more boozy than a 15%.

13. Hrodebert

Hrodebert Aspirant (278) Sep 2, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Taste is what I'm looking for in a beer.
    As long as the ABV does not make the beer un enjoyable for me, there is no too high.
    There is however too many.

14. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Meyvn (1,280) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

ABV =/= Good

Really it all comes down to taste and the experience. BCBS tastes great but man do i feel that 14%, especially later. Founders All Day IPA taste great and doesn't knock me out.

Shanex, Gemini6 and neenerzig like this.
  15. MuFugga

MuFugga Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2015 Wisconsin

I personally love the high alcohol beers. I don't typically drink to get drunk, but I like to get a nice little buzz when drinking. I also don't like to drink a ton of beer to get that buzz so if I can drink a bomber or maybe a couple 12oz beers at 10% that taste great, then I'm all about it.

16. Eli2814

Eli2814 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2016 California

I love beers with a high abv. Especially if bitterness is what really draws you to beers, high abvs give that aspect a little push for me. Although, if we're talking something like Utopias, at 30% that's where I draw the line for sure. I'd rather not have shots of beer haha

17. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (473) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

I typically prefer beers be 8% and under.

18. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,378) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

My favorite kind of beers are hoppy and less than 5% i enjoy higher abvs sometimes but i dont seek them out. I buy what i like and usually find out later. No such thing as too high because i also casually drink moonshine, jager and mead which range from 30 proof to 100 proof. But i REALLY prefer less than 5-6%

RutgersBeerGuy likes this.
  19. JAntony345

JAntony345 Initiate (86) May 1, 2010 New York
    Deactivated

There's no booze in it unless it's over 16%:stuck_out_tongue:

20. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,774) May 7, 2015 Florida
    Society

I like my light colored beers low and my dark beers high

21. thomda11

thomda11 Aspirant (237) Jun 5, 2014 California

There are quite a few >10% beers that don't taste like it-so, it really depends on how the flavor masks the alcohol content. A good example is DFH's Palo Santo Marron; It is dangerously drinkable.

neenerzig likes this.
  22. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 Poo-Bah (4,402) May 15, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I think the sweet spot I enjoy most brews is from 8 to 12 percent. After that point it gets dicey since I gag at the actual taste of alcohol. It is fun to find breweries that do it better my best example is fresh Black Tuesday at 17% made me gag from the heavy bourbon but Dogfish Raison D Extra at 18% was mind blowing smooth

In fact I wish I gotten more since its only released every few years.
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/3089/

neenerzig likes this.
  23. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,778) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

The highest I've had is 18% with 120 and wws. I don't think they were to high in alcohol. My only problem is with beers over 12% in bombers, its a one and done for the night most nights and some nights it's more than I'm looking to have.

24. SovereignGood

SovereignGood Devotee (454) Jan 11, 2016 California
    Trader

^Agree. The thing I don't like is when a brewery only bottles their 10%+ beer in 22oz+ size bottles; I would much prefer to drink a stronger brew like that in 12oz pours.

ViragS likes this.
  25. Dravin

Dravin Initiate (191) Apr 27, 2014 Indiana

I don't think there is an ABV out there that is going to make me refuse to try a beer due to it being a crime against beer. I will say that as far as consumption goes I do like to keep my consumption under control so while I'm happy to try a high ABV beer there is a balance to be considered between format and ABV. I'm not gonna buy a 18% bomber to enjoy by myself.

Urq likes this.
  26. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

So about 40% abv?

27. cyrushire

cyrushire Defender (691) May 25, 2012 Florida

Currently drinking a 13.5 % stout. Its 25.4 ounces and i started with 3 hours to kill it. Its just about right. Had i only had 2 hours, it might have been to much. I dont discriminate when it comes to abv but time does become a factor. I once drank a black tuesday solo but I did so over the course of an entire evening so the 19% abv didnt affect me too much.

Urq likes this.
  28. Beerdsley419

Beerdsley419 Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2015 Ohio

Me personally, I love high abv beers. I can drink good beer for enjoyment and try to get right at the same time.

29. Sir_Whats-his-face

Sir_Whats-his-face Initiate (162) Mar 2, 2015 Oregon

No ABV is too high if the beer is good. If there's a 14+% ABV beer in my fridge, I can wait to try it until a time when I have the luxury of finishing it. After all, the weekend's never that far away. If I'm at a taphouse, I don't worry too much about it, because they're on top of their serving sizes. After all, a pint of a 7.8% ABV beer will do you more damage than an 8oz glass of a 13% ABV beer.

Urq and Jaxbeerdude like this.
  30. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (410) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

What time has she set your bedtime at?

sjverla, woodchipper, Gajo74 and 2 others like this.
  31. Jaxbeerdude

Jaxbeerdude Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2014 Florida

I feel the same way. It's nice to grab a bomber of something with a high ABV if I'm only having one and get a nice buzz. It's also nice to have something that you can drink all day and not get completely trashed. There's a time and place for all ranges of ABV in my opinion. Well, except for the 65% beer mentioned in the article. That's just dumb.

32. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,226) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

Alcohol carries the flavor. My sweet spot is 7% to 8%. But I'm a big feller and I can get session anything under 8% all day long and still function.

Wolfhead likes this.
  33. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,794) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Society Trader

My limit is where the alcohol becomes uncovered in an astringent fashion. If I want the taste of grain alcohol, I'll drink grain alcohol.

Dragginballs76 and Marklaker like this.
  34. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (181) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois

A couple of DIPA's, a couple of glasses of wine or a couple of fingers of Bourbon? We're drinking alcohol for the main side effect we get and of course the taste plays a major factor in the alcohol that we buy, that's why there are so many variations of beer, wine, cider, rum, gin, bourbon, scotch, vodka etc etc etc.
    If we were all drinking just for the "taste" then there would be a much larger selection of NA brews available. I love strong beers as long as they don't taste hot, but I also love E.H Taylor on the rocks.
    A twelve pack of session IPA's? Nope, rather would have a sixer of a good 6-7% IPA or a four pack of DIPA during my session by the pool.

dcotom likes this.
  35. Urq

Urq Initiate (91) Feb 18, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

As long as they're not one dimensional, I prefer higher drinking higher alcohol beers (>10%). I prefer to take my time and slowly enjoy all the nuances at various temperatures; akin to a bourbon or scotch.

Wolfhead likes this.
  36. Marklaker

Marklaker Zealot (574) Jun 5, 2014 Florida

Barleywines, along with strong and old ales are my favorite styles. I also prefer DIPA's or IPA's. My palate and liver would be at odds were it not for the fact I typically drink one per sitting and almost never more than two.

37. lester619

lester619 Devotee (470) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

Those beers with 65% alcohol or whatever are just breweries screwing around trying to see what is possible. That's fine if they want to do that, but I don't take them seriously as something I would drink. Beers are what they are and if a barrel aged stout or barleywine or other big beer naturally comes out with a high abv, so be it. I don't see the point of artificially inflating it to a ridiculous number though.

38. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (550) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

As long as they aren't scorching hot with alcohol. Make em as big as you have space for in the mash tun. Just don't expect me to seek them out on a regular basis, and don't pass them off as everyday drinkers.

39. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,280) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

13% and up is too high for me. 9-10% is a good ABV for a higher alcohol beer as per my preference.

40. lester619

lester619 Devotee (470) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

Heh heh heh. I'm laughing like Beavis at that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.