Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Beers without barley

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by goldy220, Apr 29, 2013.

1. goldy220

I just got back from my allergist and learned that I have an allergy to barley. I noticed some beers seemed to give me an allergic reaction and that's apparently what was triggering it. Is there an easy way to determine which beers are brewed with barley? Or am I limited to gluten-free beers?

2. Mothergoose03

Subscriber

That is a question for your doctor more than posing it here. Don't take a chance messing with your body if other grains (or gluten) could be a factor.

However, if barley is the only cause for your allergies (and gluten is not the reason) then the GF beers still may be your only choice. Even the beers that are known as 'wheat beers' typically have about 50% barley in them. I can't think of any that are 100% wheat, or that are made from other types of grain that may be okay for you, but I think there are a few out there, and maybe someone else can chime in with suggestions.

3. pcsnyder

I've heard of sorghum beers for people with certain grain allergies, but like Mothergoose03 said, it's best to check with a medical professional instead of relying on the well-intentioned but possibly incorrect responses from the internet at large.

4. RangnaR

I can't imagine having to ask my doctor what beers I can have. I'm of course assuming that the latest Merck Manual doesn't have a list of available beers/ingredients... would be cool, though...

5. geocool

As far as I know, only the gluten-free beers have no barley.

6. jesskidden

Subscriber

In the US, any "beer" brewed without barley would not fall under the TTB's definition of a "malt beverage".
    As such, those products fall under the control of the FDA, and have to be labeled with a FDA-required "Nutritional Facts" box. The classic example is DFH's T'weason Ale.

[​IMG]

jhartley, Kikodamian and Ranbot like this.
  7. KevinGordon

how severe is the allergy? Maybe you can keep drinking awesome beer and also use an epipen? Just a thought, I dunno, I havent ever had to use one.
    There are only a couple gluten free beers that I could drink, honestly, this is really unfortunate to hear from you

DmouthCaliBrewz likes this.
  8. MusicaleMike

Best tasting one that I have had was Omission Pale Ale, but that is a bit risky since they use barley, but remove gluten. Aside from that, I would say St. Peter's Gluten-Free is very good, hands down the best that I have had (New Planet, Redbridge, Greens, New Grist, Sprecher, Bards)

9. jmw

jmw

Consult with your doctor on this, not BeerAdvocate. This borders on medical advice and the Bros have never tolerated even the hint of that on the site. It will most likely get shut down.

jhartley, fox227 and joelwlcx like this.
  10. joelwlcx

I can see it now:

Man dies from anaphylactic shock. Last words: "It was worth it..."

11. fox227

Thus endeth your beer career. Sorry...

12. GuzzLah

I don't think you will like the way gluten free beer tastes. Time to switch to wine.

kemoarps likes this.
  13. sliverX

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27912
    Now offering online orders. Best Gluten free beer around.

kemoarps likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe