Beers You Aren't Ashamed to Say You Like

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TriggerFingers, Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tigg924

tigg924 Poo-Bah (5,990) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

There are several, schaefer and watermelon dorado were the first beers I thought of.

2. shadyhipsta

shadyhipsta Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2016 Canada (BC)

"Molson Canadian" Ok, around here it's nothing fancy and couldn't been any further from "micro, craft, ect". However, I love the grainy aftertaste I get and I love the price point on sale $29.99 a 24pk (Canada that's good sadly).

3. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (466) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

As of about 10 minutes ago, infected 15' BCBBW. The tart notes add a nice dimension.

Now, I'm not saying its better than the typical BCBBW, but hell, I like it!

VntgKZ440 and gcamparone like this.
  4. ions

ions Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 Maryland

Close enough :grinning:

5. zeedub

zeedub Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2015 Vermont

Narragansett Lagger and Dell's Shandy are my summer and lawn mowing beers respectively. And I can't watch baseball without conjuring the mental image of my Grandfather bitching about the good old days when all Fenway had was 'Gansett.

6. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2007 Wisconsin

Blue moon and Newcastle brown ale. Drink less Newcastle these days, but blue moon is still my go to when nothing exciting is on tap.

7. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,174) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Narragansett
    Natural Bohemian
    Tecate/Modelo/Pacifico/Bohemia (great w/ Mexican food)
    Orion Beer ("FOR YOUR HAPPY TIME")
    Hite

The occasional malt liquor like Colt 45, country club or Olde English (btw, stronger ABV here on the west coast; OE back east is only around 6%, IIRC). I would also say Haffenreffer's Private Stock malt liquor (for nostalgias sake) but someone made the stupid decision to stop making it. Apparently the brand is now owned by Pabst (along with pretty much every other retro brand) but is no longer brewed and there are no plans to bring it back

Never thought I would say this but since I moved here to Arizona, I enjoy the occasional Michelada. Great brunch/hangover treat but I avoid that pre-mixed garbage Budweiser puts out (make your own or just order a Bloody Mary and throw some Mexican beer in there). Model Chelada is not half bad though (for a Chelada)

#327 tzieser, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  8. tzieser

Trader

Be sure to try Bohemia or Victoria next time you're in Mexico or in the southwest. Victoria is more of a Vienna style lager (amber) but I think Bohemia is an even better pale lager than Pacifico (my 2nd favorite, Tecate 3rd)

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/57/1283/

MistaRyte and PorterPro125 like this.
  9. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,118) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The Haffenreffer brand had been owned by what is now "Pabst" - parent company, S&P Corp. owned the brand since buying Falstaff (inc. Narragansett) in the mid-1970s - so a decade before they even bought Pabst. Narragansett had owned the Haffenreffer brands since the mid-1960s (the companies were both owned by members of the Haffenreffer family at the time).

Two heirs of Haffenreffer (Peter Haffenreffer and Nick Shields) were able to re-gain control of the brand around 2010 (apparently it had always been a licensing deal under Falstaff and Pabst ownership) and began having it contract-brewed at F X Matt and The Lion using the corporate name of "Haffenreffer & Co." under the dba of "Private Stock Brewing Co." (<website had been up even after the company closed, until recently hacked). That attempt failed in 2013, and Shields went on to open a flavored water company making "Spiked Seltzer". :rolling_eyes:

In theory, someone could come along and re-license the brand from the Haffenreffer group - and it is surprising that no one has, given the relatively good rep the beer had as one of the better malt liquors. Perhaps both Pabst and MillerCoors figures they have enough malt liquor brands and it would only cannibalize their existing market.

tzieser likes this.
  10. NickWebster87

NickWebster87 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Massachusetts

King Cobra....times were desperate for a while

MarshallBirdhouse likes this.
  11. Dr_Bahmbay13

Dr_Bahmbay13 Devotee (447) Mar 10, 2013 Michigan

ZIMA! ZIMA! ZIMA ! .....WAS IT BEER? I DON'T CARE , I LIKED IT! lcehouse for my cheaper beers. But also like the OP , the nostalgic beer or drinks for me are your JOOZE, FOUR LOKO type cocktails. Back in the 90s it all started my affection for sweet berry ghetto juice started with Crooked I special Brews. Yeah they are hard to get past the intial first couple of swallows of the maltitude in the flavor. But after that nothing but in your face perfect flavors and balance....12 percent abv helps too.

#331 Dr_Bahmbay13, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  12. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,297) Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Society

molsen Canadian,goose island ipa,heineken.

13. Beersnob724

Beersnob724 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2016 Ohio

When it gets really really hot out, and I'm at a BBQ in the daytime my all day go to is , wait for it, yes, Coors light citrus summer brew , it is a great all day drinker in 90 degree heat......

14. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,004) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut

I did a search on this thread and saw that I am the 9th person to list Genny Cream Ale.

suttonssuds likes this.
  15. tzieser

Trader

I was hoping you would chime in on this! You gave me more information than those guys at Pabst. This is their email:

I hope the "new" Narragansett can somehow re-acquire the rights to the brand. It would be in good hands with them, I think. Thanks for the information!

16. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

17. ravenwork

ravenwork Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2015 Pennsylvania

Was a huge fan of the original Late Show with David Letterman on NBC. He used to have a segment called Crushing things with a Steamroller. Someone wrote in requesting a cooler of beer. So, Dave's prop department gave him a little styrofoam cooler brimming with ice and cans of Schaefer. Dave looked into the camera with his Alfred E. Neuman grin and said, "ah, Schaefer, the beer to crush when you're crushing more than one." Cut to the exploding cooler with steamroller crushing it. One of my favorite television moments EVER!

18. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (567) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Drank loads of Victoria and Montejo last year in MX... rum and Cokes, too... can't all be beer I guess

19. KingCobra686

KingCobra686 Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Connecticut

King Cobra Malt Liqour

20. GoBearsWalter34

GoBearsWalter34 Poo-Bah (1,846) Aug 1, 2014 Illinois
    Society

Moosehead. Loved it on anniversary run with my beautiful wife about 10 years ago before I knew what craft was. I need to do that again.:wink:

21. GoBearsWalter34

GoBearsWalter34 Poo-Bah (1,846) Aug 1, 2014 Illinois
    Society

In Niagra Falls.

22. Gajo74

Gajo74 Poo-Bah (2,715) Sep 14, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

For some reason I kind of like the Trader Joe's Botswain IPA and DIPA beers. I know they are not very IPA like and poorly rated, still, I find them tasty.

23. Mortarforker

Mortarforker Zealot (527) Oct 27, 2004 Texas

Miller LITE

StoutElk_92 and George1005 like this.
  24. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,416) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

The one on sale.

25. HopBomb515

HopBomb515 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2013 New Jersey

Leinenkugel Summer Shandy
    Corona with lime
    Blue Moon with orange
    Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
    Guinness

I have no problem at all consuming these when the times right.

26. Cramerican

Cramerican Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2012 North Dakota

Grainbelt Premium Big Friendly's

DarkerTheBetter likes this.
  27. akolb

akolb Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2015 Colorado
    Deactivated

These are nothing to be ashamed of! Just because it isn't barrel-aged or dry-hopped to oblivion doesn't mean its not good.

Pantalones likes this.
  28. DarkerTheBetter

DarkerTheBetter Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2005 Minnesota

+1 Hamm's

Full disclosure: I have way too much nostalgia wrapped up in this beer to rationally argue why I like it or why anyone else should even try it.

29. pattycakes8401

pattycakes8401 Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2015 Indiana

Stella Artois. It's probably the only cheap beer that will drink (except maybe Negra Modelo when I'm at parties with my Latino friends), let alone the only beer that I like drinking out of the bottle more than a glass.

30. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,635) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Lol, looks like lots of guys still have an occasional taste for the BMC stuff wheter it's a simple Bud or Coors Lite or any beer they grew up cutting their teeth on. But it shouldn't be a GUILTY pleasure. It's still beer just enjoy It, except Steel Reserve that's not beer, not sure what that stuff is.

31. ClePaul

ClePaul Zealot (576) May 30, 2013 Ohio

Genesee Bock only abou $8 a 12 too!

VntgKZ440 likes this.
  32. Melvintrude

Melvintrude Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 England

Tried it recently and was pleasantly surprised, considering regular Cobra tastes of formaldehyde. Never touch it at Stamford Bridge!

Gajo74 and NickWebster87 like this.
  33. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,118) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Might be two different beers.

In the US, "King Cobra" is a 6% malt liquor brewed by Anheuser-Busch.

In the UK, it's a MolsonCoors product - a 7.5% "strong beer".​

#353 jesskidden, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  34. NickWebster87

NickWebster87 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Massachusetts

I didn't even drink during the only match I've gone to London for, we drank hard before but not in The Bridge haha, I was awfully close to those noisy stoke supporters :stuck_out_tongue:

Melvintrude and Gajo74 like this.
  35. lackenhauser

lackenhauser Poo-Bah (2,547) Dec 10, 2002 Maryland
    Society Trader

BUD, MGD, Strohs, etc....however in my old age I consume a lot of Yuengling Lager, but when summer comes I will be packing in the Narragansett 30 packs....

George1005 likes this.
  36. bigdog3838

bigdog3838 Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2012 Florida

The Legendary PBR!

37. gcamparone

gcamparone Poo-Bah (1,724) Dec 6, 2011 Rhode Island

Sam Cherry Wheat
    Bud Light Lime
    Any of those Lindeman's "Beers"

38. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

All of them, including mauwt likka