Beers You Inexplicably Haven't Had

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CaptainHate, Jan 4, 2019.

1. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Zealot (501) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

Apologies if this has been done before but for any of the not young sots, such as me, is there a good, or better, widely available beer that against all odds you haven't tried? I'm sure there's more than one for me but the one that comes to mind immediately is Pilsner Urquell.

2. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,274) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Premium Trader

To this very day I still have not tasted Parabola. I've had two bottles in my possession but one broke and I traded the other many moons ago.

3. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Poo-Bah (4,612) Jul 4, 2005 Ohio
    Premium

I've never had Parabola either, but it's not like it's readily available in Ohio. And since I'm not a trader, I won't be trying it anytime soon!

4. GOBLIN

Premium Trader

They'll have to comeback to Ohio sooner or later. Right ?

bluejacket74 likes this.
  5. Pstone530

Pstone530 Initiate (43) Mar 15, 2018 California

Anything by 21st Amendment. They are loaded up and relatively fresh at every supermarket I go to, but if i'm buying supermarket beer Lagunitas or SN always wins out.
    Anything i'm missing?

6. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,265) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Never had Gouden Carolus Tripel

7. Mindcrime1000

Mindcrime1000 Disciple (396) Apr 30, 2016 South Dakota

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout and Taddy Porter
    120-Minute IPA
    New Holland Dragon's Milk
    Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout
    Alchemist Heady Topper

Geez, that's just a start off the top of my head. I need to get some more variety.

8. scream

scream Defender (662) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

I mourn your loss ! Parabola does not fit the description of widely available unless you are in their normal distro area.

And yes there are many widely available beers I have not had. Widely available does not correlate to being desirable.There needs to be some attraction for me to say yes I will buy that. I was searching today for a few beers which I did not find. I ended up buying a beer I was familiar with and thought decent, There were many readily available beers for this area I could have opted for but chose not to. Perhaps if the singles options were more diverse I would have tried a few new ones but for the most part here singles are relatively common unexciting beers

9. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,038) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

I've tried several Prairie BOMB! variants (Christmas, Pirate, Birthday) but I've never tried just plain old BOMB! I've also never tried Gulden Draak. Both of these require a certain level commitment, and I have commitment issues.

10. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,362) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I have nothing but love and respect for the brewery, I've tried probably two thousand beers in the last 10 years, just never had that one.

11. Mindcrime1000

Plain old BOMB! is pretty tasty. Gulden Draak is dangerous. Almost too sweet, but ultimately dangerously drinkable. You should try them both.

12. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Initiate (170) Jun 5, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

My LBS has had three variations of Bomb on tap for reasonable prices, but I've never tried it, and I can never justify shelling out ten bucks on one 12 oz bottle.

brutalfarce likes this.
  13. DJturnstile

DJturnstile Initiate (62) Sep 2, 2015 California
    Trader

Not really, no. The "Tasty IPA" they have on shelves right now is pretty ...tasty. But just average stuff from them usually.

14. DJturnstile

DJturnstile Initiate (62) Sep 2, 2015 California
    Trader

This is especially crazy. That's the mother of all pale ales and it's available across the country. Try it!

KarlHungus, tzieser, ericwo and 12 others like this.
  15. Mindcrime1000

Funny, that was the first non-macro beer I ever tried, about 20 years ago. I had one. I haven't had one since. I need to go have one again.

16. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (1,947) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium

Bell's Hopslam. It's the 7th most popular beer on BA in terms of number of ratings. I've heard so much about it over the years; some good, some bad. I'm curious to try it. Maybe now that Bell's just started distributing in my home state I'll get a chance.

17. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Zealot (501) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

SNPA is easy to overlook but it's really good. Prairie Bomb! is pricey but it's a perfectly balanced chocolate/coffee/vanilla/pepper stout. I've never regretted the cost.

Snowcrash000 likes this.
  18. GOBLIN

Premium Trader

What ! ?

CTHomer, ericwo, Lucular and 4 others like this.
  19. VitisVinifera

VitisVinifera Initiate (108) Feb 25, 2013 California

it wasn't until a couple of years ago that I finally had Arrogant Bastard. I've had a few variants of it since. Not that this is all that, but it's one of the OG craft beers.

I haven't had a Pliny the Younger, which every other craft beer lover in the West Coast has had. I've been invited to do the in-line-at-9-am for a 4 ounce (or whatever it is) pour and it's been an easy decline.

20. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (750) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Duvel

Not sure why not.

21. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,038) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

I intend to. I've had the BOMB! variants at our bottle shares, some (read: nearly all) of which tend to be weighted toward really big imperial stouts and Belgian strong dark ales. I think they'd make a fine addition to our next lineup.

Mindcrime1000 likes this.
  22. GOBLIN

Premium Trader

It's expensive that's why. I finally tried a couple years back when it was available in a Christmas gift set or something like with a new glass. It was outstanding though.

surfcaster and mikeinportc like this.
  23. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (161) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Premium Trader

Whaaaa?!

ericwo, LuskusDelph, DIM and 2 others like this.
  24. Mindcrime1000

You must. Try it side by side with a Piraat, which is a little sweeter. (Not a whole bottle of each, though, because Piraat is 10.5% ABV)

JackRWatkins and surfcaster like this.
  25. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,657) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Never had anything Treehouse.

admobeer34 and MFMB like this.
  26. MFMB

MFMB Meyvn (1,030) Jan 23, 2015 Idaho

If you haven’t had anything from Toppling Goliath either then you haven’t had any beers ranked in the top 250 on this site....:wink::rolling_eyes: joking of course.

27. MFMB

MFMB Meyvn (1,030) Jan 23, 2015 Idaho

Voodoo Ranger, Ten Fidy, Celebration. Always see them, think about buying and then I don’t for whatever reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TargaFlorio and GreenBayBA like this.
  28. scream

scream Defender (662) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Those are all good, give them a try ! Especially the Voodoo for @GreenBayBA !

GreenBayBA likes this.
  29. TargaFlorio

TargaFlorio Defender (658) Jul 3, 2012 Indiana

Sierra Nevada Stout is mine. Never grabbed it all those times I would see it sitting on shelves. Now its not distributed to the state anymore. Don't let regular stouts die people!

30. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (551) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

I loved both DFH 60 and 90 minute IPAs at one time (and still like both of them) but have never tried 120. I'm scared off by both the price and the fact that I've never had a hoppy beer above about 10% abv that I thought was all that great.

Hmmmm, might make for a good New Beer Sunday!

31. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,683) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

Not really. Perfectly fine and enjoyable beers (better than Laguheineken, not as good as SN, IMHO), but also not must-seeks.

32. beertunes

Trader

WUT?????

33. beertunes

Trader

You need to fix that.

34. beertunes

Trader

Shrug. You're doing fine as is.

35. beertunes

Trader

WUT???????

36. beertunes

Trader

I'm sure there's some, but I'm just not coming up with them right now. Remind me to check back tomorrow.

37. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Crusader (768) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Premium

I just had it a few months ago(June?). First time I've seen it not-old, so gave it go , and have done so a couple more times since. Definitely see why it's a standard.

38. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Crusader (768) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Premium

Miller Lite, PBR(as far as I can remember) Coors, Coors Light , Prairie Bomb

39. beersgud

beersgud Disciple (399) Jan 31, 2014 Kansas
    Premium Trader

Other than fresh squeezed, I don’t think I’ve ever tried anything from Deschutes core lineup.

nc41 likes this.
  40. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,657) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I suspect that’s the case.

RobNewton and beertunes like this.