Beers You Inexplicably Haven't Had

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CaptainHate, Jan 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miniditka77

miniditka77 May 21, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I don't know if it's still the case, but Corona Familiar used to be sold in quart bottles for like $3, right next to the OE and King Cobra. Americans started figuring out that it was better than Corona Extra, and then they started selling it in 6-packs and jacked up the price. May want to check the 40 aisle to see if they still sell it cheap there.

By the way, I think I'd say Heady Topper is mine. I don't know whether it's "inexplicable" because I live nowhere near Vermont, but it's the one that I feel like I should have had by now.

#81 miniditka77, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  2. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Still one of the 3-5 best beers I have had.

Mine would probably be Old Engine Oil or Permanent Funeral. Although the latter wasn’t always easy to get around here and now when I find it it is always 2-3 months old and usually on a shelf or floor.

#82 WesMantooth, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    GOBLIN likes this.
  3. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Never had Rochefort 8. I've had the 10 plenty of times, and I've had nearly every other Trappist beer that comes out of that region (and others). No clue why, but I'm going to have to remedy that. Other than that one, it looks like I've had all or nearly all of the Beers of Fame.

4. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Hopslam was just released here in Michigan and is now in stores. Everyone should give Hopslam a try, because it's an amazing beer when fresh (many people feel only when fresh, but I give it a longer life) so get it as soon as you see it. Bell's brews multiple batches for 2-3 months for always fresh distribution, so if your state is on the delivery schedule in the latter part of the list, fear not, it should still be very fresh.

To answer the OP's question, I haven't had BA Ten Fidy yet. I've seen it a few times on store shelves, but something else must have grabbed my purchase attention with a higher priority each time.

5. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Aug 12, 2007 California
    Society Trader

Duvel, and I'm ashamed. There's literally no excuse.

6. RyanK252

RyanK252 May 18, 2014 California
    Society Trader

I've eyed but never bought a lot of the classics. My new year resolution is to try more of them. Stuff from Samuel Smith's, Saison Dupont, Weihenstephaner Hef, Chimay, Duvel, Trappistes Rochefort...

7. MikeWard

MikeWard Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hoppin' Frog B.O.R.I.S & D.O.R.I.S come to mind. Walked past them so often. Time for a (new) New Years Resolution methinks.

admobeer34 and mikeinportc like this.
  8. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Abt 12, I see it all the time and have just never picked it up. A store 10 minutes from my house carries it, just lazy I guess.

9. rgordon

rgordon Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

It's been a long journey thus far, and I'm not counting, but my memory seems very good. There are some wonderful dark beers i had in Slovenia, Croatia, and Bosnia-Herzegovina that were better than anything I had had before.That was the old Yugoslavia. I was coming out of the woods and these beers were uplifting....The people were even better.

mikeinportc and Squire like this.
  10. tobelerone

tobelerone Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I’ve rated or reviewed 3752 beers here since the end of 2010 and drank a lot more before that but still haven’t had (of the legit available beers I wouldn’t have to trade for) cuvée van de Kaiser blauw, rodenbach Alexander ($$$), westmalle dubbel, de dolle still nacht, mad bitch, deus (again $$$) and a number of other Belgian classics. As a huge barleywine nut I can’t believe I still haven’t had alesmith old numbskull (although if memory serves I had the barrel aged version which was fantastic).

There are a few unibroue classics I haven’t had simply because I’m not real into their yeast profile so I always pass. Will definitely give them a shot sometime though, palettes do shift and all.

Scrolling through the beers of fame list and came across this, wtf is this? I haven’t even heard of this much less tried it:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2085/5426/

mikeinportc and PapaGoose03 like this.
  11. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Dragonmead is a small brewery in suburban Detroit and I never see much hype about their beers, but they do a very good job with just about everything that they brew. I think they only distribute 5-6 of their beers, and Final Absolution is probably the best of them.

Harrison8 likes this.
  12. beergorrilla

beergorrilla Feb 21, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

fresh that ones tuff to beat still to this day imo hope you get to try this soon

mikeinportc and DIM like this.
  13. wmeri

wmeri Jul 13, 2018 Maine

Never have I ever had Shipyard Export.

Being in Maine Shipyard is a pretty prominent brand.

14. Hoptometrist

Hoptometrist Mar 19, 2011 Ohio

Weinstephaner Original, I have had almost everything else from them. Ayinger Celebrator, anything from Rochefort, and anything from St.Bernardus except Abt.12 are gaps. Need to try some more classic German and Belgian imports.

15. TheEpeeist

TheEpeeist Nov 5, 2008 Maryland
    Trader

Green Flash West Coast IPA - had the old version
    Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat
    Breckenridge Vanilla Porter
    Sam Adams Rebel IPA
    Shiner Bock
    Goose Island Honkers
    Leinenkugels Summer Shandy

i think that's it out of the top 250. the only one i'm interested in trying is the West Coast IPA.

admobeer34 likes this.
  16. jhavs

jhavs Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Backwoods Bastard and Bigfoot.

I have a bunch of them from various vintages in my cellar that I have randomly received via the mail but have never had a desire to crack one open. I think I have a Bigfoot from over 10 years ago.

Harrison8, bstoos and mikeinportc like this.
  17. Selby56

Selby56 Nov 12, 2014 Pennsylvania

Looking at some of the beers with the most check-ins on here:

- Pliny The Elder
    - BCBS
    - Old Rasputin
    - Celebration
    - Ten FIDY
    - Dead Guy Ale

admobeer34 and mikeinportc like this.
  18. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Dec 2, 2010 New York
    Trader

It was HF Florence and Cantillon Kriek for the looongest time. Like, I had had probably 50 different Hill beers, but every time I saw Florence, one of their cores, on a taplist, it had just kicked. I had even been to Hill and it wasn't available then.

W/ the Cantillon, I had had Foune multiple times, St. Lam multiple times, LPG and some other harder-to-come-by stuff but had never had just the regular-ass Kriek.

Finally crossed both those off the list last year. So my answer would be Sierra Nevada stout. Just the regular, OG stout. You can't find it anywhere anymore, either, so who knows when I'll get a chance.

mikeinportc likes this.
  19. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

Been on my radar since first released. Not "widely available" even here in NYC area, at least based on my less than diligent search efforts. Finally spotted it behind the counter while shopping recently at a store I don't frequent. Asked the price...$12.99/can. I passed. I've paid more per ounce for other beers so not sure why I balked. Might stop in next time I'm in the area (a month from now) to see if they still have it. :rolling_eyes:

Excluding rare sours and stuff by breweries that don't distribute here, the other most egregious misses for me are:

Speedway Stout (any kind)

SN Stout and Narwhal

Samichlaus

Olde Gnarley Wine *
    Old Guardian
    Old Numbskull *
    *But I love barleywines. Maybe I have an aversion to 'old' beer. :wink:

Duchesse De Bourgogne

Hop Rod Rye

Hop Stoopid

#99 SudsDoctor, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    mikeinportc, bret717 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  20. SudsDoctor

Society

EDIT: Oops. I have had Narwhal once.

21. DiUr

DiUr Aug 14, 2014 Spain

Weihenstephaner Original. :astonished:

tzieser and mikeinportc like this.
  22. deleted_user_1007501

deleted_user_1007501 Jun 30, 2015

I always see Saison Dupont, but can never pull the trigger on it for whatever reason.

23. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

Until earlier this evening, I had never had Three Philosophers. ‘‘Twas good.

24. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

I've never seen it. It's on the (mental) list now. :slight_smile:

Troutbeerbum likes this.
  25. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

Years ago probably my longest craft beer friend was in from North Carolina and we made a trip to Warehouse Beverage for weekend provisions. He snagged a bomber of Saison DuPont and said "this is for you to enjoy after I leave".

You go to The Wine Spot and they always have it there whenever you're ready. It's good anytime but I like it more in the spring and fall than during the winter chill.

26. Junior

Junior May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

KBBS and Pliny the Younger. I ask for them every time I go to the bar. No luck to date.

27. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society Trader

There are more than a few easily obtainable beers on the Beers of Fame list that I need to tick.

La Fin Du Monde
    Rodenbach Grand Cru
    Gurardin Gueuze
    JW Lees Harvest Ale
    Stone IPA

mikeinportc likes this.
  28. Junior

Junior May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Some for me are:

60 Minute
    Abt 12
    La Fin Du Monte

29. miniditka77

miniditka77 May 21, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Yes, this is a glaring one for me. It's everywhere, and I'm pretty sure I would like it. I just never seem to buy it.

CaptainHate likes this.
  30. SudsDoctor

Society

I've had very little from Alesmith in general - Wee Heavy (2011) and 2010 vintage Decadence (2017). Probably because I've only ever seen 750 bottles of their high ABV stuff. The double whammy of price and bottle volume have stayed my hand. :wink:

mikeinportc likes this.
  31. AWA

AWA Jul 22, 2014 California
    Society

Yes. Yes you are. Don't get me wrong. I love Lagunitas and SN. But 21st Ammendment is totally on there level. Except that god awful watermelon thing. Fuck that.

32. Arminius757

Arminius757 Aug 29, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

Second that. I am relatively new to the beer world (2014 was when I turned 21) and I actually really started my drinking experience while studying abroad in Germany. Since then I have hundreds of beers, and while I love Sierra Nevada, I just never got around to it. And since I started to brew my own beer, the urge to purchase beer is reduced.

I will get around to it. Almost picked up a sixer for a party but opted for Celebration instead.
    Great beer btw.

mikeinportc likes this.
  33. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

Forgot about that one, and is part of why I haven't had it : always forget about it. I've had plenty of Stone, but not that. Added to the list. :slight_smile:
    Same here, the one time I saw it. It arrives in such small quantities that it is gone quickly, so I don't even bother looking for it. I might have missed it a time or two. There's been 2 or three versions of it on the growler list, on rare occasion, for $18.99 -$22.99(?)/32oz .:astonished: I rarely dive that deep . It's only been with some sour/wild one-offs.
    Good to know. I've bypassed their beer based on "that god awful watermelon thing." :grin:Somebody gave me one once, because it was sooooooo awesome.:flushed::rolling_eyes::stuck_out_tongue:

ps : I see it on a fair # of your lists : definitely try La Fin du Monde !

#113 mikeinportc, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  34. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society Trader

It’s definitely hard to believe after having had an abundance of their hoppy beers and loving them

35. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Got a 4 pack of this right before Christmas as I have been absolutely craving Belgian beers lately for some reason... unbelievable- have heard others say they don't like the yeast profile... that's just more for me!

Crazy how many times I've walked past this one and kept going... to finally try it and be blown away how I was makes me wonder how many other classics I need to just go ahead and get instead of grabbing the 'latest and greatest'. Incredibly reasonable price given the quality IMO.

Go get you some, my guy!

36. Harrison8

Harrison8 Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

This is the push I needed. May pick up their stuff for my Spring Classics watch parties. I'm always looking for Belgium beers to try for the occasions.

mikeinportc and ManBearPat like this.
  37. Obsidian81

Obsidian81 Mar 3, 2016 Illinois

This is one of the best low-ABV, non-adjunct stouts out there. It's too bad it's basically discontinued (yes, I know it is technically still brewed, but it's very difficult to find).

38. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

I've never had any of the Bourbon County variants. I don't think I've ever seen them and passed, but I haven't tried very hard to find them either.

Buy some BCBS every year, though.

mikeinportc and Troutbeerbum like this.
  39. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Its great, but while not widely distributed Zonker from Snake River honestly makes SN Stout look like kind of an idiot IMO. You bois should see if see WYO folks can send you some- its on shelves everywhere up there... I always grab at least a 12er whenever I find myself in their footprint.

Troutbeerbum likes this.
  40. DVMin98

DVMin98 Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

With all the shares I've been to, and all the friends that I have in the beer community, never had any of the Dark Lord variants

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.