Beers You Love in a Style You Don't Generally Care For?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SLewis, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SLewis

SLewis Aspirant (250) Jun 17, 2014 North Carolina

Typically I am not a fan of Scottish Ales or Wee Heavies at all. There's just something about everyone I have tried that frankly has a disgusting taste to it. However, I have one exception. I was skeptical when I first cracked a can of Oskar Blues Old Chub, but upon first sip I was amazed and now that is one of my favorite beers and make sure to have some in the fridge at all time.

Do any of you guys have a favorite beer that is typically not one of your favorite styles?

Mitchell57 likes this.
  2. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,999) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I just recommended it a few days ago, too- Anchorage Bitter Monk. Usually the hops and 'Belgian' yeast combo doesn't work for me, but never say never. I'm sure the brett and relative dryness in the Bitter Monk are keys to why I enjoy that one much better, so that sort of understanding might help me in exploring similar versions in the future.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  3. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Poo-Bah (1,806) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Everett. I am not much of a porter fan but the instant I tried that silky, smooth beer I knew it was special. I hope @kerry4porters agrees.

kerry4porters likes this.
  4. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Devotee (474) Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania

Tripel Karmeliet. I'm not a huge fan of the abbey yeasts in general, and tripels in particular usually lay that bare, but good god Karmeliet is incredible.

yemenmocha, wellsnb and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  5. mrhartounian

mrhartounian Initiate (103) Nov 23, 2009 Massachusetts

Chimay Red. Not a big fan of dubbels but this one strikes the right chords with me.

6. osuskin

osuskin Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2012 Indiana

don't like barleywines however Billionaire and Insanity were amazing (I know I know they're aged but anyways)

7. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

Wulver and Backwoods Bastard. I don't care for Scotch Ales....until you age them in some Bourbon Barrels!

8. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

I've only had a few barleywines (Sucaba, Old Guardian, Blithering Idiot) but Sucaba was the only one that I liked, and when I mean liked I mean it was probably one of the best beers I've ever had.

Shroud0fdoom and skelliott like this.
  9. TastyDelicousness

TastyDelicousness Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2013 Illinois

Sours...I know, I say that and get a lot of hate for it. Don't like them. Always sip on them when someone opens them, just never liked them. But last night went to the bar for pub trivia. They had Sour in the Rye on tap. I gotta say it was great. The rest of the hop heads at the table didn't like it, but I would have had a few more. So I guess it takes the right beer in a style your not big on to start changing the mindset.

Cheers!

dedbeer likes this.
  10. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,531) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

American Strong Ale seems to be one that I generally don't like much. Only Brown Shugga stood out way ahead of the others. Gave it around a 4.5ish and the others were between 2.5 and in the 3's.

11. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (5,062) Dec 25, 2003 California
    Society

Hate Wild Ales.

But I Love Ommegang Wild At Heart.

12. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

Spotted Cow

Although, I am coming around to adjunct beers (PBR, MGD, Grain Belt, I want to try Old Style, Schlitz, and Olympia), so I may be seeking out more cream ales if I can find any.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  13. MrDave

MrDave Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 California

Backwoods Bastard. Loud enough barrel to stand up to the malt assault of a Scotch Ale.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  14. Harnkus

Harnkus Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 New York

I think with Wee Heavy beer it is really the situation which makes that style agreeable. Or maybe that's just me.

I'm not overly keen on rye IPAs, but Otter Creek Kind Ryed is an exception

I'm indifferent to porters and find them very seasonal (fall through early spring) but I can drink Anchor Porter anyday anytime

SLewis likes this.
  15. HopBomb515

HopBomb515 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2013 New Jersey

Never met a Berliner Weiss I cared for. I tried Carton Monkey Chased the Weasel and it blew my mind.

16. ThePaintedGrey

ThePaintedGrey Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2013 Pennsylvania

Great Lakes Eliot Ness. I don't like lagers, but goddamn that's a well-crafted beer.

17. jlee

jlee Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Wisconsin

Schofferhofer - I don't drink many Radler style beers, but this and Stiegel are pretty good. I probably messed up the spelling on both of those...

18. mjtiernan

mjtiernan Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2008 New York

Not a big pumpkin beer fan, but Avery's Rumpkin rocked me like a hurricane.

19. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,902) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Society

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.