Beers you used to find intense but are now tame

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Das_Reh, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Das_Reh

Das_Reh Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2013 Florida

I remember 3 years ago, when I first delved into craft beer, I thought Hoegaarden was so intense and flavorful, and when I wanted a "strong" beer I chose that one.

A few weeks ago, I bought one to have for dinner with my girlfriend and it was almost like drinking carbonated lemonade!

Any beers you once found intense and flavorful but no longer do?

(Hoegaarden is still a good beer IMO, especially for summer)

stoutmasterjames and Greywulfken like this.
  2. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia

I feel this way about a lot of IPA's lately, when I first got into beer I couldn't stand hops, not they don't bother me as much.

ESHBG likes this.
  3. BeersAndBears

BeersAndBears Devotee (477) Dec 30, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

SN Torpedo and NB La Folie. I don't think either are "tame" nowadays, but they were so flavorful to me at one point that they were difficult to finish.

Gemini6 and Mtj28 like this.
  4. WavyC

WavyC Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2014 California

Stone's Smoked Porter. The first time I had it, felt like I was drinking bacon from a glass, now it's like milk. Same deal with Arrogant Bastard, thought it was insanely bitter, and now its a delicious, slightly bitter, malt bomb.

5. AntG21

AntG21 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Syria

Michelob. It took me three years before I had another beer. 1974, I was 8.

6. trdtercel92

trdtercel92 Aspirant (211) Jul 22, 2014 Ohio

Anything on the bitterness level of a ruination or palate wrecker. There was a time I struggled through 12 oz. Now that my palate has grown up a bit I have yet to find anything that I struggle through.

Links41 likes this.
  7. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Devotee (491) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

When I was in college, I liked the "DARK BEERS" like Dos Equis Amber and Mich Amberbock. :flushed:

Gemini6, jminch, R3ason and 1 other person like this.
  8. leantom

leantom Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2011 Indiana

Pretty much all WC IPA's. Strong grapefruit aftertaste used to be off-putting; now I love it.

SoleBriety and TurkeyFeathers like this.
  9. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Meyvn (1,039) Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society Trader

At some point when I was living up in Grand Rapids (2006-2010) I remember having my first barrel-aged stout at HopCat and having a hard time finishing it. I vividly recall being overwhelmed by how boozy the beer was. This was a couple years before I got in to sipping whiskey instead of shooting it.

10. bub72ck

bub72ck Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2010 Virginia

I remember my first experience with IPAs. The Dogfishhead show was on Discovery and they were talking about the number one beer in America (was 90 minute at the time). I had to see what all the hype was about. I go out and buy a four pack of 90M, come home and crack one open, and honestly hated it. I couldn't understand why or how someone would drink it much less what it was the highest rated beer. I tried beers two and three out of the pack with the same result. Just couldn't get into it. Finally I read that the beer would be better opened up in a big glass and it changed my mind completely. Certainly the flavor of IPAs haven't gotten tamer but my palate has adjusted.

Links41 and jminch like this.
  11. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,205) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Nugget Nectar

12. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,164) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

Hop Devil for me. Still a good beer , but my hop receptors are well exercised now.

scottbrew4u likes this.
  13. Mike_Aguirre

Mike_Aguirre Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Mexico

Happened to me with Guiness, when I was in high school I thought it was strong and awesome, I just had one and was black water, didnĀ“t even finish it.

jakemn91, Matt141, EricLiPuma and 5 others like this.
  14. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,407) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Believe it or not - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

15. rebel-fist

rebel-fist Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 Massachusetts

I believe it. It was way too bitter and pungent my first time, now i can drink em like water.

16. lambpasty

lambpasty Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

First time I tried Sam Adams lager I was blown away by how hoppy it was and actually had a hard time finishing my first few.

I also remember trying a Wachussett IPA because before I really even drank beer and wondering why anyone would ever want something that tasted that bitter. I then proceeded to drink several Smirnoff Ice :rolling_eyes:

Gemini6 and jminch like this.
  17. Bisco42

Bisco42 Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2014 Ohio

Lagunitas IPA.

Nitranim likes this.
  18. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,682) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

The first time I had Wild Goose IPA back in the early 90's I thought it was freakishly bitter and horrible. These days it would probably be considered less hoppy than most APA's.

19. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,151) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Yes agree as well. Back in 1993, getting first exposure to something non-BMC (or Canadian or German light lagers) was SA lager and the stock ale and was like chewing on pine tree bark. Now its sweet water. Then around late 1990's/early 2000's I think a friend got me a Victory Hop Wallop. It was the first bigger IPA I think I had. We tried it together and drainpoured it because it was a bitter mess. Now it tastes sweet to me. Nugget Nectar same. Clearly our taste buds adapt and more extreme profile is needed to satisfy the cravings.

Doomcifer and lambpasty like this.
  20. RobinLee

RobinLee Zealot (543) Feb 15, 2012 Wisconsin

Sam Adams Lat 48. Lots of pine in that one, kinda hard to finish 3, 4 years ago.

21. TurkeyFeathers

TurkeyFeathers Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2014 New York
    Deactivated

Dales Pale Ale

Bisco42 likes this.
  22. lambpasty

lambpasty Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

It's funny too, because things that taste bitter taste that way to say "hey idiot, don't eat me I'm toxic" which is why most animals don't eat things like hops. I wonder what our tolerance/palates will be like if humanity keeps drinking hoppy beers for the next 10,000 years.

Gemini6 likes this.
  23. garyloveman

garyloveman Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2014 Massachusetts

My first, and for a long time my benchmark IPA, Harpoon IPA. Compared to some of the DIPA's I've had lately it's like water.

DoctorChugButterman likes this.
  24. LehighAce06

LehighAce06 Champion (800) Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

90 Minute IPA was way too much for me years ago, though back then I wasn't into IPAs at all so even 60 Minute wasn't my favorite by a mile, but I remember getting a case of 90 Minute for no reason other than I knew I liked Dogfish Head as a brewery and the "90 minute" concept sounded cool. It took me so damn long to go through half the case and I never even finished it, gave the other half to my dad.

25. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (4,575) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

When I first got into craft......SNPA.

26. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Zealot (567) Sep 30, 2014 Illinois

Duchesse de Bourgogne. At first, I thought it was mostly balsamic vinegar with a hint of beerishness. Now, it's a delicious somewhat-balsamic alcoholic cola.

I still find anything hop-forward to be undrinkable, though. Since it's been about a decade of trying on occasion, pretty sure that isn't changing.

27. TooGood

TooGood Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 Minnesota

Guinness hands down. I thought it was so rich and thick it was like drinking a smoothie. Had one a few months back and it was like mentioned previously "black water".

28. timotao

timotao Aspirant (296) Sep 16, 2013 New York
    Trader

Shit, Brooklyn lager was a hop bomb on my BMC conditioned palate when I first had it in the 90's.

ecpho and Crackerbarrel like this.
  29. zenwatts

zenwatts Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2005 Minnesota

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot. I still wouldn't call it tame, but a few years ago it was too intense for my palate. Now it's always in my fridge!

30. Shafaegalo

Shafaegalo Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2014 Texas

First few times trying Sam Adams Boston Lager...I thought how could anyone drink something this bitter?? My goto at the time was Michelob Dry (MANY years ago!) Tried a SA the other day and thought how can anyone drink this there is no flavor!

honeynutoreos likes this.
  31. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia

32. AndyEdgar

AndyEdgar Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2014 Illinois

Jacobin's Rouge...used to be so sour I could only drink 5-6 ounces. Now...session sour ale:slight_smile:

33. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Disciple (397) Feb 19, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

Natty Light. It was so ungodly awful when I was like 19 (I'm 26 now) and now I can crush cans of it and guess what... It's still awful.

34. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

Gueuze. I used to think that they were too sour and yeasty... Now they're my new Yuengling.

UrbanCaveman and Lucular like this.
  35. Brushkanna

Brushkanna Devotee (477) Jun 27, 2011 New Jersey

Founders Centennial IPA i thought was to rough for me, the centennial hop has grown on me and I now really like the flavor

36. ahawkman

ahawkman Initiate (0) May 15, 2007 California

Anchor Steam. Tried it in 1976 cuz I heard it was supposed to be good. Way too strong and bitter for my 16 yo tastes. Still a very good beer of course, but very much on the "tame" end of things these days. Also felt similar about SNPA in the mid 90s and IPAs as recently as 2002! I feel pretty dumb about that!!!!!

37. JuliusPepperwood

JuliusPepperwood Aspirant (211) Jul 21, 2013 North Carolina

Bells Two Hearted was one of the bitterest beer I had ever had back in college. Now it seems so balanced and is one of my favorite IPA's.

ChrisMon02 and Gemini6 like this.
  38. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Hoppy beers in general.

Links41 and ChairmanMeow like this.
  39. honeynutoreos

honeynutoreos Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2013 Arizona

Allagash white, granted this was back in my blue moon/shocktop phase but the first time i had it there were too much flavor i didn't know how anyone would enjoy it, now i don't think of it as a flavor bomb but its still a fantastic wheat beer

40. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,205) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

Sour beers. Their effects on me have mellowed as I age and drink more of them.

Links41 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.