Beers you want to try but can't find fresh

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PSU_Mike, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

I was on lunch this afternoon and stopped at a grocery store for their fresh food section. They had 4pks of Dirtwolf that were less than 2 weeks old. Dirtwolf is a beer I can never find fresh in this part of PA so naturally I was quite excited about my purchase.

Simcoe is my favorite hop. So obviously, Double Simcoe would be right up my alley. The only problem is the only bottles I've ever seen were months old. I'd love to find a 4pk of this with less than a month on it.

What are your struggles?

mconn13, JxExM and TongoRad like this.
  2. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,164) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

Wookie Jack for me. I have seen it in more than a few stores. It has always been at the 6 month old mark.

3. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Poo-Bah (1,594) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Society Trader

A lot of German and English imports. Some Belgians too. I know they age well but I want to try them fresh to compare.

Brutaltruth, GetMeAnIPA and Ranbot like this.
  4. thedannyllama

thedannyllama Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2014 Pennsylvania

I had a great case of Hoptimum last year, but this year I missed the boat and couldnt find anything fresh enough to invest in. And Ballast Sculpin... @60 a case needs to be fresher than APRIL!

SteveB24 and twizzard like this.
  5. RichD

RichD Crusader (792) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Any Firestone Walker IPAs. Can't get them less than a month of 2 off.

mconn13, MrDave, JxExM and 14 others like this.
  6. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

Green Flash Palate Wrecker, West Coast IPA, and Hop Head Red.

Always at least two months old, but usually much older when I see them.

7. malvrich

malvrich Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 North Carolina
    Deactivated

You got that shit right.
    For me: The Crisp and Pivo!
    Freshness not an issue, not available in my state.
    Sorry ...couldn't help myself.

8. APBT91

APBT91 Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 North Carolina

Off the top of my head, Its hard to ever find anything from Green Flash fresh here. Freshest I've seen was 1 month old, I bought it, It was good, I just want fresher.

9. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

Alesmith IPA.

It is 6+ months old everywhere and I swear they hold back new batches until the old ones sell, so it's always old.

Whimpers, robear and BeerZar like this.
  10. BeerZar

BeerZar Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2014 Ohio

AleSmith IPA. I've been lucky enough to get the YuleSmith Summer and Winter right when they hit the shelves and they were both outstanding. The best of their IPA I have seen recently is June.

Whimpers and tylerstravis like this.
  11. zid

zid Meyvn (1,237) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Nearly forgotten imports that are no longer distributed to the US. When I stumble upon one, I still try it anyway if not too expensive.

12. spicoli00

spicoli00 Defender (625) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

Great Divide Hurcules DIPA. seems like even when "new" bottles come in, they are at least 2 months old.

13. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,681) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Augustiner Edelstoff. When fresh it's a world class beer. After the very first batch Denver received all I've ever had are skunky old bottles.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  14. riotontheroad

riotontheroad Devotee (431) Apr 7, 2010 California
    Trader

Still havent got to try Heady (fresh or otherwise). Anyone want to do a quick trade...fresh HT for some fresh west coast ipa's?

15. mackeyse

mackeyse Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2012 New York

Firestone Walker wins this thread. It's a constant struggle on east coast to get their hoppy stuff fresh.

mconn13, JxExM, pjvie and 5 others like this.
  16. twizzard

twizzard Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 New York

17. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

Firestone Walker in MA, but I will take them at two months. Usually they are more like six. Founders Centennial is seemingly always old here too.

18. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,850) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Double Simcoe here, too- I guess we're close, but not close enough.

JxExM likes this.
  19. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,860) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Agree with Sculpin, and about a million other West Coast IPAs that I can't get in SC

karamchandani, APBT91 and SteveB24 like this.
  20. raulstotle12

raulstotle12 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 California

For me is more like beers that i want to try but dont have access to

JxExM, malvrich and TubaManJack like this.
  21. wesbray

wesbray Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2012 Canada (AB)

Pretty much any US IPA. We will on rare occasion see some fairly fresh ones here, but most of the time they are at least 6 months old...

22. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,624) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I've found one bottle of Double Jack that was fresh, and it was superb, it's lousy old, and of course when I'm in a place where it is available it's usually 3 months old.

23. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Devotee (465) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

Few IPAs have I come across deteriorate as fast as Hoptimum. You make a good point. Even Pallet Wrecker stands a better test of time. No one has mentioned Pliny but interestingly I've had 2 bottles in the past one being a week old and another 2 weeks old and the difference (blind taste test) was very noticeable.

24. thatoneguymike

thatoneguymike Meyvn (1,149) Sep 18, 2012 Georgia

My immediate thought was Weyerbacher Double Simcoe. Right there with ya, @PSU_Mike!

mconn13 and JxExM like this.
  25. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

Had an old Jai Alai. Wish I could try it fresh because I really didn't like it that much.

26. albee_jay

albee_jay Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2014 California

Fou Foune...but mostly cause everyone wants to rape me for it

27. Torch_Lake

Torch_Lake Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2013 Ohio

Racer 5 for me. I've heard great things, and maybe it's just my particular luck, but it always seems to be at least five months old when I see it.

28. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Initiate (0) May 1, 2011 Maine

Victory Prima Pils
    Firestone Walker Pivo Pils

mackeyse, JxExM and malvrich like this.
  29. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (649) Mar 28, 2009 California

This thread makes me happy I live on the west coast. Finding fresh sculpin, and Union Jack are beers that are staples in my regular lineup. Green flash and double jack not so much, so +1 on that.

For me the beer I consistently reach for and can't find fresh is drakes 1500. I found bottles from 2013. I contacted drakes and next thing you know they had 1 month old 1500. Since then I find that exact same batch sitting on the shelf. It's a shame because that is a gret brew.

30. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,347) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

FWIW, I found a random bottle of Double Simcoe buried in my parents' fridge last time I visited home. I can't remember how old it was but it had to be at least 4 months old. I expected it to be all faded and no good but it was delicious and I've had the beer multiple times so I know what it should taste like. Freshness should be a preference, not a rule. Buy a single and experience your favorite hop.

Edit: I do realize that it being in the fridge kept it from deteriorating as much as it would on a shelf but still, it was quite old.

#30 Immortale25, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  31. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (3,400) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

Anything with a Rain Man bottling date that I can't figure out.

VABA, JxExM, Brutaltruth and 4 others like this.
  32. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,149) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Sculpin. Lately have been able to find it less than a month old. This stuff is best fresh. Old Sculpin no good.

JxExM likes this.
  33. diamondlie

diamondlie Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2014 Connecticut

Pretty much anything from Firestone (on east coast at least for me). I spoke with a rep from there once and they came off almost like "what did you expect, you're all the way out there."

JxExM likes this.
  34. kgncfl

kgncfl Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2013 Washington

Anything from Catamount. Can't find anything less than 10 years old.

35. TubaManJack

TubaManJack Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2008 District of Columbia

Odd question - but how old are we thinking the east coast kegs are then?

36. Justin8mypants

Justin8mypants Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2014 Oklahoma

Not to hijack the thread, but on the same note, what do you guys consider to optimum freshness for an IPA (I know the fresher the better, but say less than 2 months?) and at what amount of time do you not even consider buying it?

37. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,164) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

I always blamed the retailer for the situation. I figured they didn't sell and had just sat around. After what diamondlie says I may not be right. My first thought was " yeah those wagon trains move slow going east."

38. diamondlie

diamondlie Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2014 Connecticut

I try to avoid buying anything more than 45-60 days after if it's an IPA. If it is something rare I don't usually see that I've been wanting to try, I will on rare occasion buy it at slightly outside that window. Anything more and it really is a pretty significant drop-off.

mackeyse and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  39. the_awesometeer

the_awesometeer Zealot (509) Jul 23, 2013 California

I was having a real hard time finding Sam Adam Double Agent IPL for a long long time. Finally got some that werent too old

40. machalel

machalel Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2012 Australia

Anything from USA or Europe :slight_frown:

Whimpers, rather and Fargrow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.