Beginner/ Intro / Easy to Drink beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TrashMax, May 8, 2022.

1. TrashMax

TrashMax Initiate (37) Jun 6, 2020 New Jersey

If you're convincing a non beer drinker to try beer, what would be your choice?

Something easy to drink and appeals to a wide audience, yet interesting enough.

PS: Not Bud, Miller or Coors.

2. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Meyvn (1,172) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Allagash White, Chimay Blue or any heavily fruited kettle sour should do the trick.

3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,475) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Non-hoppy wheat beers such as Bell's Oberon, or others with different fruits. Fruity blonde or golden ales too. Also, Fat Tire has always been recommended in threads such as this as being a starter beer too.

JackHorzempa, Amendm, dcotom and 5 others like this.
  4. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,426) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I would choose not to do it.

5. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,024) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Helles
    Dunkel
    Any non hoppy wheat
    Maybe duvel single.

6. BigIronH

BigIronH Meyvn (1,364) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

In my experience, this is no good. Tried this at a family get together a few months ago and no one was feeling it. When people relate all their beer drinking experience to a Budweiser or equivalent, 450 North can be a pretty decent shock and not necessarily appreciated by everyone. It took me quite a few of these types of beers to actually enjoy them myself, considering it’s not really what one thinks of at the initial thought of “beer”. My .02. Cheers.

LarryV, cavedave, readyski and 6 others like this.
  7. TrashMax

TrashMax Initiate (37) Jun 6, 2020 New Jersey

Why not? It's just giving them an option. Maybe they haven't had a good beer before getting into that conclusion.

PapaGoose03 and BigIronH like this.
  8. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,529) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

One beer Ive just never been able to get around to liking is Fat Tire. Flat out dont like it:rolling_eyes:
    SN pale Ale
    Lagers by Jacks Abbey- Post Shift Pils would be the first.
    Harpoon IPA
    Summerfest....oops not anymore.
    Any lager or pils by your local or low key IPA

9. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Meyvn (1,146) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I've actually seen a surprising amount of people take to a stout that otherwise weren't fond of beer. A lighter, lower abv cream stout like Sam adams cream stout will definitely pleasantly surprise a lot of people who otherwise didn't like beer.

beergoot and TrashMax like this.
  10. moodenba

moodenba Zealot (552) Feb 2, 2015 New York

Beer is an acquired taste, so there's no telling what would be the best starter beer. So is wine. Personally, I can have a glass of wine, but I won't savor it (even it is a renowned label) as much as a favorite beer. Unless there's a social connection, I'd just let the matter drop.

misteil, beergoot, Shanex and 6 others like this.
  11. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Poo-Bah (1,773) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Society Trader

Usually i point people towards Belgian beers. They're easy to drink and very different than what most people have tried. Hops are very hit or miss with people the first time but grow on most.

Shanex, ChicagoJ and carolinabeerguy like this.
  12. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Aspirant (216) Jan 8, 2015 California

My wife is not a beer drinking but when taking a sip of quality German (style) wheat beers she often will remark that they are tasty.

I would also recommend Kölsch. The hard part there is that you need to be in Köln. (I have pretty much given up finding a good local example).

13. Rollmeaway2loadout

Rollmeaway2loadout Disciple (328) Jan 30, 2016 Illinois

Welcome to BA . I would start with Vienna lagers, German Pilsners , Bohemian lagers. Pilsner Urquell and Czechvar original Czech lager are good examples. Start with lagers and expand into ales Try Bell's Two- Hearted IPA Find a craft brewery with beer flights and sample their lineups.

14. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,736) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

If they ask my opinion on beer I'll give it, otherwise their choice of drink is none of my business.

15. shadyside

shadyside Disciple (385) Feb 27, 2011 Georgia

Bell's Oberon.

beergoot, PapaGoose03 and BigIronH like this.
  16. Amendm

Amendm Meyvn (1,019) Jun 7, 2018 Florida
    Society

I also wouldn't waste my time trying to "convince" a non beer drinker to drink beer.

If someone who wants to try beer asked me for recommendations I would suggest AALs to start with. If they like it then I might suggest something on the lighter side from the "Craft Beer" spectrum.

I would hate to see a "Craft Beer" wasted on a greenhorn. Cheers.

17. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,430) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

If you ever make it to the East Coast I highly recommend you give Von Trapp Kolsch a try.

Cheers!

18. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,760) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

Sam Adams Boston Lager or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale without a doubt.

19. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,880) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

There are different types of non-beer drinkers. Some don't drink at all. Some might prefer wine. Some might enjoy hard liquor. For a non-drinker, I think I'd recommend something inoffensive and not too bitter, like a "fruit smoothie" NEIPA. For the wine drinker, a good lambic or geuze. For the hard-liquor aficionado, maybe something aged in bourbon barrels.

Under no circumstances would I recommend one of those insipid macro AAL's to anyone, ever, unless they were trying to get rid of garden slugs or something.

20. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,258) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I would actually disagree and say the local brewery - Crane - has been the one I've had the most luck in using to get people into beer.

Typically, it's wine drinkers who find some enjoyment out of Crane's catalog of fruited Weisses and Goses. Tea Weiss, Beet Weiss, and Orange Gose tend to be winners. My theory is these beer styles don't mimic the typical flavor profiles of beer, and can link beer with other, more favorable, flavor profiles, and thus are a little more favorable. It also helps that their Weisses and Goses are very mild in ABV, nor are they heavy / juicy / acidic, putting them in a good middle ground.

beergoot, bubseymour, dcotom and 2 others like this.
  21. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (3,111) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

One of the Sam Adams seasonals. Octoberfest was that beer for me, because it was slightly less hoppy than Boston Lager.

Cold Snap could be a good one.

dcotom, beergoot and Shanex like this.
  22. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (764) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

This is the right answer. Exactly how I started out, plus Blue Moon.

23. StJamesGate

StJamesGate Poo-Bah (4,984) Oct 8, 2007 New York
    Society

Indifferent to beer or actively don't like beers they've tasted before?

If they "hate beer", all the Helles, Kolsch, Cream Ale + Vienna Lager in the world won't help - all too close to the BMC that turned them off beer.
    For them I'd go with a low bitterness, smooth, chocolaty stout - Left Hand Milk Stout, maybe.

If they just haven't even drunk much beer, my go-to "convert in one sip" starter beer is Founders All Day.

beergoot and dcotom like this.
  24. Resistance88

Resistance88 Disciple (356) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

In reality i wouldn't even bother. At my point in life they either like it or not and it they ain't fuckin with it by now why desteoy their lives with stupid ass beer.

Id give them Speedway, and if they dont like it then even better for both us. Sobriety is king thats why losers like us need safe space websites like this to talk about it.
    Cheers

#24 Resistance88, May 9, 2022
    Last edited: May 9, 2022
    BrewsOverHoes, beergoot and BruChef like this.
  25. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,152) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina

they have myriad options for stuff that doesn't taste like "beer." fruited sours or slushies. hazy juicy ipas. pastry stouts. all those are more entry-level options.

Bitterbill, beergoot and dcotom like this.
  26. bret27

bret27 Poo-Bah (1,970) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Nothing wrong with trying an ipa. It’s my wife’s favorite style and she’s not into beer at all.
    It is by far the most popular craft beer for a reason. Tastes good, easy to drink.

27. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (180) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Half snark but is trying to convert someone who doesn’t like beer by having them try beer that doesn’t taste like beer the correct avenue to go down? Asking for a friend.

LeRose and beergoot like this.
  28. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,391) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

If you like their company and like to go to breweries, then finding them a beer option they can enjoy is a win for you, a win for your friend and a win for the brewery.

29. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,994) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I got my buddy into craft but only after i told him how much alcohol is on it. Now he loves sours and ipas. Dude loves Golden Monkey too

Shanex likes this.
  30. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,258) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

From my perspective, I would not see why that is a problem.

If you want to introduce someone to something new, and they have doubts or qualms about it, then finding alternatives that share similarities with the end goal can help break down and smooth the process of learning a new interest.

PapaGoose03 and dcotom like this.
  31. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Meyvn (1,118) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

Perhaps a mixed 6 pack is a good place to start? The phrase "easy to drink" is open to lots of discussion as it sort of fits into the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" cubby hole. I might find a beer ho hum and not want a second one where someone else is having ah ha! moments with it. Anyways, a little mix of ez 2 find styles might be good for a newbie. Bottles of Corona, Guinness, Miller High Life, Yuengling, a local Porter, a local IPA...type thing. Have fun! Cheers!

TCgenny likes this.
  32. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,426) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well, I guess because I don't like the evangelizing/proselytizing implication of "convincing" someone to try beer.
    "You haven't lost a designated driver, you've gained a drinking buddy! (Hopefully, one who'll be so grateful you've turned him onto beer, that now he'll pop for the Uber ride.)"

33. laketang

laketang Poo-Bah (1,512) Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Society

My wife doesn't enjoy beer, she is a wine drinker, but, she will drink sours.

ChicagoJ and Harrison8 like this.
  34. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Defender (659) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

There's a way more (cost) efficient system to get the most alcohol... I recommend bottom shelf vodka to your friend.

dcotom and Urk1127 like this.
  35. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (134) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey
    Trader

I would start with SNPA . If they like it fine. If they don't try to find out why ans work backwards from there,

Harrison8 likes this.
  36. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,994) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I don't want to release Mr Hyde lmao.

My friends name is Al. (Albert)..a six foot 4 ppwerlifter for context of this .. We all call him Al. When he gets drunk he turns into Bert. Berts chances of a fist fight are 100 no matter the location

dcotom and tasterschoice62 like this.
  37. smalony

smalony Initiate (85) Apr 19, 2020 Missouri
    Trader

Scrimshaw Pilsner is my go-to for people who don't typically drink beer. I haven't had any complaints.

tasterschoice62 likes this.
  38. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,391) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Didn’t think of that. Probably because I come from the generation where the DD was determined by who appeared to be the least drunk person of the group (kids don’t try that at home).

tasterschoice62 likes this.
  39. lastmango

lastmango Champion (818) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania

Go to the traditional experts at Weihenstephaner. Original Helles; Pils; Hefe Weissbier

It was the German beers that steered me to imports and craft.

deanzaZZR likes this.
  40. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,236) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I always say La Chouffe and Tripel Karmeleit. Novices like these beers and they are quite buzzworthy and work at a mixed group rather like good sparkling wine.