Belgian Dubbel Tasting - Saturday June 15th, 2019

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by zid, Jun 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zid

zid Meyvn (1,283) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

The dubbel is a keystone style of beer that deserves more discussion than it gets. Be it Trappist, abbey, or an American “dubbel,” please join us on Saturday June 15th for an overdue online tasting.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/events/info/85465/

This is the thread. You provide: the beer, a picture if possible, and your impressions and thoughts on the beer while or after you drink it. Others will do the same. If you can post a beer review in your sleep or if you are new to posting about beer, your involvement will certainly be appreciated either way. Even if you don’t have a beer, feel free to participate in the discussion. Before the 15th, people can use this thread to post whatever they want on the subject of dubbel, post the beer they plan on opening, or even arrive early and open one up.

I have three beers I plan on opening on the 15th: a Trappist, a secular Belgian / American collaboration, and a local American. They are all new to me, but this tasting is also a great opportunity to revisit an old favorite. Chimay Red aka Chimay Premiere was one of the key beers that started me down this miserable path of beer obsessiveness. I was at a bar in Manhattan one day and I was totally falling for the bartender. They had Chimay Red and the appropriate glassware, and they had a policy that if you drank three of them in one night, you got to keep the glass. I had to try this strange beer. It was an eye opening experience that a beer could be like that. It was the most expensive beer I had ever had at the time, but I was really smitten with it and I decided to live foolishly and shoot for that glass. The fact that I wanted to hang around the bartender helped a lot. I ended up drinking three and taking my glass home. I still have that glass. Many years later, I was “lucky” to find it in the garbage one day after my wife threw it out. I rescued it. I don’t drink much Chimay these days, but their “Premiere” is one of my favorite dubbels. Perhaps someone will feature this beer on the 15th.

I’ll try to post some information on dubbels at a later date. You folks have 10 days to procure your beers. If you would like to host a future online tasting, please take a look at this thread:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/online-beer-tastings-idea-submission-thread.476806/

Hope to see some of you here on the 15th. Cheers.

2. islay

islay Aspirant (258) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Good stuff, @zid. The first ever blind tasting in which I participated was a Belgian dubbel tasting in 2006. Eight beers, and the lowest-rated one at the other site, t Smisje Dubbel, turned out to be the consensus favorite of the group. It beat out Westmalle, Chimay, St. Bernardus, Corsendonk, Maredsous, and La Trappe along with a couple of others I don't recall, not that any of those were bad beers. It was an eye-opener for the value of blind tastings and the virtue of the underrated dubbel style.

3. Junior

Junior Zealot (599) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

What an introduction. There are so many great Belgian dubbels out there. Picking one to have on the 15th will be a tough one.

GreenBayBA, Premo88 and zid like this.
  4. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,783) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

Got a bottle of Prior 8 in the fridge waiting for a reason to be opened. Thanks, @zid!

GreenBayBA, drtth, FBarber and 4 others like this.
  5. loebrygg

loebrygg Aspirant (200) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

Not my favourite beer style, but I will see what I can get my hands on

6. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Meyvn (1,485) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

I'm not sure if I will be able to make next Saturday, but I will try to line up a few Dubbels, which are a dime a dozen around here. Most likely Rochefort, Chimay and Westmalle. It's a style that I've been meaning to explore more anyway.

GreenBayBA, Junior, FBarber and 3 others like this.
  7. Todd

Todd Founder (5,566) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

@zid: Drop this into the events calendar and then I can invite users.

8. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,810) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I’ll give it a shot, so not being familiar with the style, give me some top end choices and alternatives. I’ll see what I can find.

9. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,612) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

That's the archetypal dubbel right there- I could be convinced to go that route myself :wink:.

10. surfcaster

surfcaster Champion (802) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I was possibly the last BA to have Duvel. Is it considered a dubbel?

I see it is called a Belgian Strong Pale

#10 surfcaster, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  11. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,755) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

This is awesome! Can we do this moving forward for these online tastings?

sulldaddy, zid and Premo88 like this.
  12. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,755) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I will plan on joining in at some point - Ive got a bottle of Westy VIII Ive been sitting on - this will be a great opportunity to open it. I think Ive also got an old bottle of SN Ovila that I found at a liquor store last year - Ill crack that and see how it is. Thanks for hosting @zid!

Bitterbill, zid and Premo88 like this.
  13. Todd

Definitely.

14. Premo88

Society Trader

I reviewed it in 2015 and only gave it a 4.02, but reading through the review, I can tell I liked it a lot more than that score suggests.

I might pick up a Rochefort 6 or something else for fun, give them a chance to go head to head.

Bitterbill, zid, Junior and 3 others like this.
  15. Premo88

Society Trader

Rochefort 6, Chimay Red and Westmalle dubbel might be the easiest to find. Ommegang's Abbey Ale is tasty, too.

sulldaddy, zid, TheDoctor and 2 others like this.
  16. Junior

Junior Zealot (599) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Dubbels are more like Belgian Dark Ales or Belgian Stone Dark Ales.

zid, FBarber, TongoRad and 1 other person like this.
  17. nc41

Trader

I’m going to the beer store this morning, what might be considered absolutely top end for the style? I’ll see what they have, I’m sure Haw River offers up a Dubble as well so I’ll get a few.

Bitterbill and zid like this.
  18. islay

islay Aspirant (258) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/57/

As I indicated in my previous post, I think people sometimes get distracted by the big names in this style. That said, the big names such as the Trappists, Corsendonk, etc. really are great, with the exception that I'm personally not a fan of the very highly regarded St. Bernardus Prior 8 or Pater 6 (or any St. Bernardus beers; I've never understood the love for that of all Belgian breweries). Also, I recommend avoiding Rochefort 6 for this tasting. Apparently this site classifies it as a dubbel, but it's really more of a Belgian amber than a dubbel-style brown. Great beer but not really representative of the style.

Bitterbill and zid like this.
  19. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Savant (985) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

For those BA's in the Charlotte area, I highly recommend Sugar Creek's dubbel.

zid and Reef like this.
  20. nc41

Trader

So being that I have no clue to the style I picked up a Westmale and a Rochfort 8. The only other Dubble I saw was a St Bernardus, I also picked up what I suppose is the proper glass. The only other glass I have in that shape is my Schlitz goblet, thought it might be s bit strange to post a pic of a Belgian in a goblet.

21. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,445) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Aw, go for it! Pour the most expensive dubble you have for the tasting into that Schlitz goblet, and put the logo proudly front and center! :grin:

22. nc41

Trader

I might at that.

23. zid

Society Trader

The modern version of Duvel has more in common with a typical Belgian tripel than a dubbel. It's a strong blond beer and an archetype in it's own right. While it has ties to Trappist beer, it's name means "devil," so it's positioned in a different way than monks' beer. :slight_smile:

Look here for beers classified as dubbels on BA:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/styles/57/

24. zid

Society Trader

Wow. Very glad to have you on board. I look forward to your thoughts because you are frank and this type of beer will be new to you. You couldn't have picked better beers for this.

cavedave, Bitterbill and FBarber like this.
  25. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (546) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

Damn, I love dubbels but this is really short notice! :astonished:
    But, I was planning to hit a bottle shop or two this weekend in order to find some Boulevard Saison Brett, so I'll see what they have dubbel-wise while I'm at it. Probably only 2, one I haven't had in a while and one I've never had. Thanks for the impetus @zid

zid likes this.
  26. zid

Society Trader

Very jealous of your Westvleteren. I have only had that one once and it really, really hit that sweet spot when I had it.

eppCOS, sulldaddy and Bitterbill like this.
  27. zid

Society Trader

FBarber likes this.
  28. zid

Society Trader

Bitterbill and Junior like this.
  29. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,445) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Don't know how old it is, since it wouldn't have mattered, since it was my "grab something" choice and it was the only dubbel at my local (small) liquor store (not quite true... they did have a New Belgium one as well; but it was their only Belgium-brewed dubbel).

If I have time, I may drive a bit to a larger store to perhaps pick up a MN-brewed dubbel (Boom Island does brew one, and it is sometimes in stores), and maybe one more - thinking Unibroue Maudite, so I'd have MN & Canada, leaving Belgium to be represented by Chimay. (I'm sure Belgium will survive... :wink: )

The 15th will be difficult, since I already have a commitment that is thoroughly incompatible with beer drinking (officiating at a youth sports tournament), so it will have to wait until later in the evening before I can start... So, unless I just open, pour a taste, and stopper the bottles for Sunday, getting to more than one may not happen - especially if I start with the bomber of Chimay. We'll see.

Bitterbill, FBarber and zid like this.
  30. Todd

Location is currently required, but I'll see if I can tweak it. And I'll push an invite to users today. Thanks!

sulldaddy, Bitterbill and zid like this.
  31. zid

Society Trader

In my opinion, Chimay Red is wonderful.

readyski, Patrick999 and Bitterbill like this.
  32. zid

Society Trader

Let me add: I'd recommend starting with the Westmalle.

nc41 likes this.
  33. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (447) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Customs officials in Belgium told us this about the translation and told us to be careful lol.. they were really nice and definitely mostly joking with us. They obviously didn’t know about my higher elevation combined with craft strength tolerance hahahahaha

zid likes this.
  34. zid

Society Trader

I also tell people to be careful with Duvel, but when I do, I'm certainly not joking. :slight_smile:

loebrygg and ManBearPat like this.
  35. nc41

Trader

I’ll do it. Purposely I haven’t read a thing, I don’t intend to, in this case I’m fully going in blind. What serving temp is recommended? I’m partial to really cold unless it’s a porter or stout.

zid likes this.
  36. Todd

All set, @zid. We'll do another invite/reminder alert next week.

Cheers!

37. nc41

Trader

I guess for one who’s computer incompetent with this be a thing like the NBS?

zid likes this.
  38. zid

Society Trader

I've seen "cellar temperature" recommended for drinking (55 degrees), but do whatever you want.
    This particular thread will be a lot like NBS but it'll only really be active on the 15th. Open a beer, drink it, and post what you thought about it. A picture isn't needed, but if you can figure out how to include one then we can all see your new glass (there are other threads that explain how to do this... it's a perennial topic). Tasting threads like this one that are focused on a particular style or brand of beer tend to pop up once every few months.

nc41 and Bitterbill like this.
  39. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,568) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

None of the big hitters mentioned in Casper right now but I picked up a new to me one this morning.
    Bornem Double. I'll do a test run later today.

40. Patrick999

Patrick999 Meyvn (1,015) Oct 18, 2006 Florida

This, for me, I would take Red over any other of the style I've had. Even Westmalle.

zid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.