Belgium Belgian/German Beer Suggestions Wanted

Discussion in 'Europe' started by solo103, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solo103

solo103 Disciple (373) Apr 8, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

My girlfriend is leaving tomorrow for Europe and is going to Belgium and Germany and I was going to get her to bring me some things back. Does anybody know any good beers that I should get her to pick me up besides stuff from westy .cheers

2. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2012 Michigan

Now for my less smartass answer! Pop into the Benelux forum and look around. Questions like this come up often around there

3. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (1,815) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  4. dwagner003

dwagner003 Poo-Bah (1,634) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Cantillon.. Clearly.

5. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 Illinois

I'll take a mixed case of Cantillon and not the kind I can easily order on the internet. Thanks!

6. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 Washington

fresh Hommelbier!

doopiedoopiedoo likes this.
  7. solo103

Beer Trader

Yeah I was thinking of cantillion . That dopplebock sounds interesting.

8. SStein

SStein Zealot (509) Dec 26, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen, De Struise, De Dolle, Gueuzerie Tilquin, Fantome... go to beers, top Belgium and run from there.

9. solo103

Beer Trader

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to get my ole lady to bring back a extra suitcase hopefully.

10. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Disciple (389) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

Andechser's Dopplebock is very good and not available in the US. If you like pilsners, Rothaus and Alpirsbach make good ones that are easily available. I would add Uerige Alt to the German list as well, except it's really only available in Düsseldorf, so if your girlfriend is not going to be in Düsseldorf it will be hard (impossible) for her to find.

11. solo103

Beer Trader

Cool man. I do like a good pilsner here and there especially in the summer. Any good helles lagers?

12. MattSweatshirt

MattSweatshirt Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Most definitely get ahold of a bottle of Augustiner Helles. Even with screwy German distribution I've seen it in a couple spots outside of da souf so it should be easy to get.

13. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Disciple (389) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

Hard for to recommend one you can't get in the US because I usually drink the major labels when I have a Helles Lager (and outside of those I'm not sure what makes it to the US and what doesn't). My suggestion would be to find out which city(-ies) your girlfriend will be in and look up a local brewery in that area and see if they do a Helles. If she's going to be in Bavaria she should be able to find one no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.