Belgian Tripel/Quad

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by EvenMoreJesus, Jul 6, 2018.

1. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Savant (957) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Going to be brewing the base beer for this project this weekend. Would certainly like any and all comments and suggestions that you might be able to send my way. The recipe is loosely based off of these two recipes:

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/westmalle_tripel_-_041.pdf

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/westvleteren_12_clone_-_040.pdf

For 5.5 gallons:

14 lbs. Belgian Pils

Single infusion mash @ 150F until conversion complete

First gallon of run-off boiled with 2 lbs. of white sugar until reduced by at least 1/2.

Main beer boiled for 1 hour for concentration and protein coagulation.

Cool to 180F and add 6 oz. Saaz

Cool and pitch WLP530 - Westmalle

Original Gravity 1.089
    Terminal Gravity 1.011
    Color 5.04 SRM
    Bitterness 0.0 IBU (obviously this isn't accurate, but whatever)
    Alcohol (%volume) 10.3%

Ferment for one week, rack off of trub, and split the batch with one half remaining "plain" and the other getting 2 lbs. of D90 syrup.

Original Gravity 1.125
    Terminal Gravity 1.015
    Color 38.88 °SRM
    Bitterness 0.0 IBU (again, not accurate)
    Alcohol (%volume) 14.8 %

Ferment until a stable terminal has been reached and bottle in punted champagne bottles with 3 volumes of CO2.

What do you guys think?

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,575) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

“WLP530 – Westmalle”

I personally have never brewed with WLP530 but I have brewed many, many times with the Wyeast ‘version’ of 3787.

Every person will have their own preferences for yeast derived flavors but it has been my consistent preference that the beers that I brew using 3787 (BPA, Dubbel, Triple, Quad, etc.) come out best with a warm ferment of around 72-73 degrees F. At that temperature this yeast produces a glorious mix of esters (fruity flavors) and phenols (spicy flavors). As to whether WLP530 behaves the same?

When it comes to Belgian Ales such as Abbey/Trappist style beers I am of the opinion that yeast selection and fermentation conditions are the ‘drivers’ for these beers.

Cheers!

P.S. I have brewed with other strains (e.g., 1762) but nothing beats 3787 fermented warm for my palate.

3. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (187) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I’ve brewed both of those recipes from Candisyrup.com and they both came out awesome! I don’t think I would substitute white sugar for the Candi syrup.

TheHumanTorch and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  4. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

The adding sugar to first runnings and reducing thing-y that I do isn't really meant to be a substitute for candi sugar, but I like what it brings to the table regardless. FWIW, I also use it in my IPAs with very good results.

LakesideBrewing and Prep8611 like this.
  5. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,724) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium Member

\
    My attempt at the Averagely Perfect Dubbel went high, and probably was 72-76 during the bulk of the fermentation. Granted, the sample I just took was a fermenter sample, prior to yeast drop, not carbed, etc, but pretty tasty. Used the Imperial Organic Triple Double, which is comparable to 3787.

EvenMoreJesus and JackHorzempa like this.
  6. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (301) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Sounds like an awesome recipe. Are you using styrian goldings?

7. Prep8611

The Belgian single I made is a hit and it was only pilsner, 3787 via monastatic imperial organic, styrian goldings and some saaz. Actually pretty buzzed of of it right now

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  8. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,431) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

You could call it Double Preposition Single.

9. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (175) Jan 10, 2018 California

Ya man, sounds awesome. I was kicking around an idea of a Belgium Blonde with Imperial Yeasts “Triple/Double”. w/ Enigma hops. Pils malt but with flaked wheat added. But a simple mash procedure.

EvenMoreJesus and Prep8611 like this.
  10. Prep8611

I actually called it “Mower Monk” since it’s so refreshing and low abv

11. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Would have loved to, but HopsDirect only had Saaz available. No biggie.

Looks like his funny went over your head. Too much Mower Monk, apparently. :wink:

SFACRKnight likes this.
  12. Prep8611

Wow that went right over :astonished:

13. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Initiate (181) Mar 4, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

I like everything except for racking after a week. It'll probably still be going pretty strong then, I would just let it finish. Then you can bottle the Tripel half, and add the candi syrup to other. D-90 might be lighter than you expect for a quad, I use 180 & 240.

14. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

I certainly understand your thoughts on this, but I have a few reasons for doing it.

1) I want to pull some yeast over so that I can reuse it

2) I want the beer to still be fermenting so that when I add the D90 it won't be an issue for them

3) It's always nice to have active CO2 production if you're going to bulk age for a little

I'll be adding 2 lbs. of it to what will probably be a little less than 3 gallons. That'll probably make it chestnut brown, but nothing super dark. Plus I REALLY like D90. Not that 180 or 240 are "bad", but they certainly bring more of the roasted character that I don't want in this beer.

Prep8611 likes this.
  15. epk

epk Initiate (153) Jun 10, 2008 New Jersey

Interesting idea and methods here. I never really thought about doing a tripel base and making a quad from half of it in this manner.

I have aromatic and special B in my quad grist. But I could see you getting some of those flavors from the D90 - is that the idea?

Also, other than a simple malt syrup of sorts, what exactly do you get from boiling the table sugar with a gallon of the first runnings? And I wonder if a splash of it would play nice in an Old Fashioned, lol.

16. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Exactly.

Just concentration of both flavor and sugar.

That's an idea.

epk likes this.
  17. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Champion (822) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

Looks sweet!

I’ve got a couple of ideas...
    1. I always step mash my Belgian beers. I know...it’s a hot topic lately. But it’s really not that big of a PITA, and if you don’t have direct control over mash tun temp, decoction is actually super easy and kinda fun. I won’t PROMISE that it will make the beer better, but it could, and it will be surprising fun! :stuck_out_tongue:
    2. Long brew. I have a theory that some of the awesome character that Belgian beers have is from the amount of time that occurs between mashout and cool-in. Some of those old abbey breweries are doing like 4 hour lauters and 2 hour boils, all the while developing badass melanoidans and other kettle compounds. Extending the lauter or the boil is a great way to ‘complexify’ an all-pils mash.
    3. LOVE the idea of a simple all-pils grist. I would say to complex it up by using pils malts from multiple suppliers. It’s a great way to get a ton of tiny complexities...

18. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Meyvn (1,085) Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

I like your idea and plan.

A couple things that I have learned from trying similar things.

- as mentioned, 3787 does not mind warm temps. In my opinion, it is necessary otherwise the fermentation derived aromas and flavors are too clean. Definitely not enough Belgian character in my mind. I've taken a quad up to 82-84° and the result was much more complex than the same beer fermenting at ambient.

- I used D180 and boiled down for added complexity. It worked out better for me than not boiling down D180. You might consider it for the D90 as well.

- Westvleteren 12 has a lot of complexity and I don't think it's all achievable thorough candi sugar alone. I would add a specialty malt or two if Westvleteren is the goal.

- good call on the bottle conditioning

#18 FeDUBBELFIST, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  19. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Wanted to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. They are all much appreciated and I will very probably use many of them in future projects. I'll post updates on this one as this project progresses. As of right now, active fermentation is just kicking off because I massively underpitched to give the yeast an increased log phase and, in turn, increase ester production. I also pitched a little warmer than usual, so that should help, as well. Still planning on fermenting at ambient to prevent fusel/higher alcohol production and keep ethyl acetate production in check. I want these beers to be ester-forward, but not ester bombs, if you know what I mean.

NorCalKid, Prep8611 and JohnnyChicago like this.
  20. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (126) Jun 21, 2014 California

I'm doing a very similar brew (3gal batch) that I'm going to pitch onto a cake of 530 from a Belgian single/"patersbier." First time brewing either style and first time reusing a cake!

21. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

That's pretty boss. Please update us!

22. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Member

Nice call, man. As of this morning, it definitely was, so I might give it some additional time before racking.

23. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,176) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Unless it has Brett, is aged on wood, or utilized London 3 I'm afraid it's going to be terrible. Just send it all to me and it will be properly dealt with.