Belgium and German beers not available in US

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Dmmflys, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dmmflys

Dmmflys Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2014 Illinois

lm going to be in Germany in a few day and a couple days after that Brussels. I want to know what to bring home to the US as space and weight is limited I can only bring a few and want only what is NOT available in the US. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Maven (1,339) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

Where in Germany? It's important to know, because, for example, beers that are sold in Düsseldorf or Köln may not be sold in Munich or Berlin. Putting up a similar post with some more details of your itinerary in the Germany Forum will get you a lot of good advice, I'd think.

3. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Maven (1,480) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Similar point for Benelux -- in fact, search there for a bit and you'll probably already have your answer.

Offhand, I'd say to get to a good shop and look for lambics other than Cantillon/Drie Fonteinen/Lindemans. I get the feeling in my limited beer-shopping time back home (in the US) that Hanssens and De Cam might be the least commonly seen (but every iota as good) stateside, and maybe Boon and Girardin. For other styles, some of the classic Flemish sours besides Rodenbach/Petrus/Duchesse de Bourgogne -- perhaps Ichtegem, Vichtenaar. And maybe some non-Trappists that are nonetheless solid abbey-style beers and easily found -- Abbaye des Rocs, Malheur, Ename, Floreffe, Kasteel, Maredsous (might be more US-accessible); there are so many more. And for some other characterful regional makers representative of old styles, look for stuff from Rulles, Straffe Hendrik/Brugse Zot, stuff from Het Nest (brews such as KlevereTien and HertenHeer)...

Before I go further, I have to come back to the point that I don't have the best grip on what's on shelves in the US, but I do sometimes have a look, and I also hear what people back home are asking about, so, I hope that is a start, and you can search more in the Benelux forum.

4. omgrich

omgrich Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2013 Belgium

Hanssens is actually well represented. I send most of my traders Drie Font and De Cam, since those are more rare and, I think, tastier!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.