Bell's - Bourbon Barrel-Aged Expedition Stout Hitting 12 oz Bottles

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Fargrow, Mar 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fargrow

Fargrow Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Michigan

"This is Bell’s Brewery Bourbon Barrel-Aged Expedition Stout and it is Bell’s Expedition Imperial Stout aged for 12-months in Bourbon barrels. This is a 12oz bottle and the beer comes in big at 13%-AbV. Stay tuned here for release details."

2. EricTKole

EricTKole Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2014 Michigan

well this doesn't suck

3. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,826) May 7, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

I hope it makes it's way down here to FL!!

Jodes, The_Oracle, ashleylake and 4 others like this.
  4. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,423) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Over / under on the average price of a single? I'll start the book at $18. I've never seen Black Note in my area, so I won't get too giddy over this one either.

TheKlevin and ONovoMexicano like this.
  5. mwa423

mwa423 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2007 Ohio

I think you're a little rich, assuming price is right rules, I'll go $13. Little above the planets releases.

6. glass_house

glass_house Zealot (582) Jan 10, 2014 Ohio

Oh hell yes. It's impossible to imagine this not being delicious.

I hope you're way off. As much as I think I'd love it, I probably wouldn't go much higher than $12.

7. mstrcrwly

mstrcrwly Aspirant (216) Dec 21, 2013 New York
    Trader

Just when i thought i was out..they pull me back in

needMIbeer, Brehnert, Sabtos and 12 others like this.
  8. Ginepiece

Ginepiece Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2013 Wisconsin

Wow. That's awesome. I was lucky enough to taste the Heaven Hills version of this during their Roll out the Barrel event last year, and it blew me away. Hands down the best BA Stout I have had. Will be seeking this out for sure.

foundersfan1 and Fargrow like this.
  9. docoman

docoman Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2014 Michigan

Pretty sure this is the same thing that you could have at the taproom aged in the Heaven Hills barrels that is slated to bottled at least from what I've read in the posts.

10. bigthirst

bigthirst Initiate (106) Jan 30, 2013 Wisconsin

probably the same at black note $4-8 per single, limited and hard to find

jbck109 and Kurmaraja like this.
  11. GreatStoutman

GreatStoutman Crusader (779) Jan 5, 2016 Texas
    Trader

Looks like I might be visiting my family back in MI earlier than expected...

12. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,423) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

That planets series price point is a pretty fair assumption. I was actually comparing them and eventually slightly exceeding the Avery releases, which have kind of set the bar at a rich price for 12 oz. BA'd beer. Think they roll for around $15 here, or that's in the ballpark of what Uncle Jacob's was I believe.

13. Gambyt20

Gambyt20 Savant (976) Jan 14, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Oh must find. Expy Stout already so good.

MikeP64, dbannister and foundersfan1 like this.
  14. NickyDee21

NickyDee21 Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2011 Pennsylvania

This looks awesome. I love Expedition Stout. With that said, I've never seen Black Note Stout anywhere, so my hopes are not high to land this one.

15. BigSpeen3436

BigSpeen3436 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2013 Ohio

Here's to hoping that they pull a Founders and make a special batch for Ohio that is 11.9%...

16. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

Distribution to southern CA please.

17. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (448) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

This would satisfy pretty much all of my barrel-aged needs. Please let this be widely available!

Jodes likes this.
  18. hunninghake

hunninghake Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2005 Colorado

Yes please....

19. Hesscabob

Hesscabob Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2014 Illinois

IMO this will be as solid as Speedway Stout being Barrel Aged... Another already amazing stout on its own, put in Bourbon Barrels, can only improve right?

20. deadsincebirth

deadsincebirth Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2014 Illinois

I have been waiting so long...

21. Blutz

Blutz Initiate (99) Mar 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

If we're guessing price-points here, my assumption would be closer to what they were charging for the 30th Anniversary stout - which was around $18/6-pack in my parts, which is still a bargain in my book.

Consider also that Expedition Stout is originally priced higher than most of their other offerings (~$15), it would be safe to assume it wouldn't be costing less than the original, non-BBA version.

I think the Planet Series (Saturn in particular) just spoiled us price-wise.

22. BeerMe330

BeerMe330 Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2013 Ohio

yay 13% so glad ohio wont be getting any.

23. Fargrow

Fargrow Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Michigan

I hope you're right. But since it was aged for 12 months in bourbon barrels, I would guess more along the lines of Black Note pricing. Maybe around $22-24 per 4-pack.

24. Viking84

Viking84 Initiate (47) Dec 19, 2015 Hawaii

I think you're right - I'll happily pay that. As I type this I'm realizing that Bells is one of the few breweries that I can recall to never package in bombers. Makes me love them even more.

Edit: now remembering the 750s that were General Store only...but still not a bomber!

#24 Viking84, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  25. GreatStoutman

GreatStoutman Crusader (779) Jan 5, 2016 Texas
    Trader

As someone who's guilty of paying $10-12 for single 12oz Prairie barrel aged bottles, the high end of your range sounds like a bargain... I'll take them all.

26. Karnivool1

Karnivool1 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2014 Illinois
    Deactivated

Does Bell's ever do 4 packs? I'm thinking a sixer will be $30

Harrison8 likes this.
  27. monkeybeerbelly

monkeybeerbelly Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012 New York

listen here in NY a sixer of regular expedition goes for about $20, so for a 4 pack of the BA version, i would definitely pay $30

28. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,380) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

With how much regular Expedition Stout I picked up, I feel like I won't be able to pick any of this up. I'll certainly keep my eyes peeled though. Looks and sounds great.

Regular Expedition is around $17 for a 6 pack around here for me. I would imagine after aging it's going to be around that cost or more for a four pack. I'm glad they're releasing it in 12oz bottles though. It can go a little further than just a bomber here or there.

foundersfan1 likes this.
  29. Jlabs

Jlabs Poo-Bah (1,563) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

awesome!

30. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

If we assume a six-pack format (no certainty, given that Black Note, their big barrel-aged release, comes in 4-packs), there is no possible way that the price point is below that of non-BA Expedition (which I believe is around $15).

I think the price point for 30th Anniversary is much more realistic, so $18 for six bottles.

But who are we kidding, most shops are probably going to split this up into singles and sell them for $5 each.

31. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 Michigan

This is BBA aged (30th Anniversary was not). It will be 4pks and probably retail at around $25. It will NOT be 6pks, and unlikely it will retail for less than $20.

BEERschlitz, TheKlevin and Rodosman like this.
  32. jlsims04

jlsims04 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois

Expecing 4-8$ for a single and almost impossible to find just like BN.

33. c64person

c64person Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Michigan

Black Note was $7.50 a bottle from the brewery, so I would expect this to fall in line with it, around $8-9 or so per bottle. Its highly unlikely anyone but those that get it at the General Store will see 6 packs anyways.

I will say, the versions of it I have had on draft parties from Bell's have been aaaaamazing. IMHO its better than Black Note.

34. VictorsValiant

VictorsValiant Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2014 Oregon

My mom is going to hate me. First KBS, now this? Last year it was Backwoods and 30th anniversary. I might as well have her start running drugs.

stevegoz, MC6, Geuzedad and 3 others like this.
  35. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,830) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Society

4 packs at the most with many retailers selling it as singles. I expect it will be 10 bucks a single.

36. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

Also, add one more label doppelganger into Bell's lineup...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

37. AnchorDrops

IIRC, cases of 2014 Black Note were $135, or $22.50/4pk...did they sell single bottles for $7.50 at the General Store?

38. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

One of my favorite base beers. Really hope to find a bottle or pack of this here in MD. We got a ton of the 30th.

39. AnchorDrops

I would not expect this in quantity even close to 30th Anniversary.

foundersfan1 and Jaycase like this.
  40. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

The 30th Anniversary was awesome...I will buy this if it comes into view

smithj2154 and foundersfan1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.