Bell's Brewery to Release Uberon, a Bourbon Barrel-Aged Version of Oberon, in 4-packs

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ESHBG, Aug 24, 2021.

1. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (354) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

BRIAN MANZULLO | DETROIT FREE PRESS | 5 hours ago

With Oberon, the popular seasonal American wheat ale, heading into hibernation soon for the coming Michigan winter, Bell's Brewery — the Comstock-based Michigan beer giant that makes it — is preparing to ship its barrel-aged counterpart, Uberon, in four-packs for the first time starting next week, in limited distribution. It'll release at the Bell's General Store and Eccentric Cafe in Kalamazoo on Sept. 1.

Uberon is basically Oberon, but aged in bourbon barrels. Clocking in at a hefty 11.3% alcohol by volume, it "tastes like our classic American Wheat Ale with a shot of bourbon dropped into it," Bell's says on its website. "It’s the perfect beer for a special summer moment or something to store away for those winter nights when you’re missing Oberon."

https://amp.freep.com/amp/8245750002

bret27, ChicagoJ, officerbill and 5 others like this.
  2. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (94) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

3. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (597) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Me too.

Bitterbill, Squire and ovaltine like this.
  4. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,091) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

I saw this story yesterday. To me, Oberon is just light, even delicate, of a beer to stand up to barrel aging.

I predict it will be overpoweringly bourbon.

5. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,628) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Yeah, but this beer is basically twice the ABV of Oberon... so they didn't just put regular Oberon in the barrels. They probably started with a much bigger beer. Bell's is really pushing brand extension heavily these days.

bret27, MrOH, ChicagoJ and 7 others like this.
  6. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,119) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Basically Oberon, but double the ABV? Might be good but not basically Oberon.

7. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (684) Mar 28, 2009 California

It has to be a different recipe. Oberon is 5% and this version is 11%. Can’t pick up that much abv from just barrel aging.

not sure if you are aware as I wasn’t but per untapped the first uberon vintage was in 2017.

Bitterbill, PapaGoose03 and DIM like this.
  8. GetMeAnIPA

Ha! I just typed that. Can’t be just the same beer but barrel aged.

9. steveh

Society

I did see that, so how do they get away with saying it's "basically Oberon," when it's not?

I don't even think a Heller Weizenbock would hold up to barrel aging. Just my palate, maybe, but heavier styles just seem better suited.

10. zid

Society Trader

It looks like that's the reporter's language, but Bell's is no better (from their website): "this batch of Oberon® headed to the barrel. Uberon is a bourbon barrel-aged version of our iconic American Wheat Ale." Just typical marketing poetic license in my eyes. At least it makes much more sense than "Bud Light Seltzer" when it comes to brand extension and logic.
    As far as "holding up" goes, think of this beer as no different than another craft brewer's "bourbon barrel aged wheatwine" rather than a more yeast driven Weizenbock (ugh, I hate typing the word wheatwine). But yeah, the beer isn't going to be for everyone. (bourbon barrel aging is a turn off for me)

bret27, MrOH, officerbill and 3 others like this.
  11. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,432) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, looking at some older references (e.g 2015 Detroit Beer Festival, Bell's Eccentric Cafe tasting notes), can see Uberon referenced as 'Strong brewed Oberon aged in whiskey barrels'. Have seen Uberon at 9.7% and 10.3% in the past. This one goes to 11 :wink:

12. steveh

Society

For the sake of science, if I can find a single (and one of Double Two Hearted, while I'm at it) I'll take a chance.

MrOH, AlcahueteJ, Bitterbill and 2 others like this.
  13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,118) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Chris, just curious: do you enjoy drinking bourbon?

Cheers!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  14. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (354) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I'm impatiently waiting for the still large stack of DTH sixers to be broken down and placed in the mix a six section and I MAY spring for a four pack of this, as regular Oberon is decent (but as I think about it there's a chance that the flavors could clash).

AlcahueteJ, Bitterbill and steveh like this.
  15. zid

Society Trader

I’d say that I enjoy drinking beer much, much more than bourbon… and that I enjoy drinking non-BBA beer much, much more than BBA beer. I don’t dislike bourbon and enjoy it whenever I have it, but I never purchase it for myself. What about you?

AlcahueteJ, Bitterbill and steveh like this.
  16. zid

Society Trader

Double Two Hearted is great for what it is… just go into it with the expectation that it’s a very big ale rather than a Two Hearted-ish beer. Do you like hoppy barley wines? I’ll also grab an Uberon single if I see one (probably not a 4 pack)… because of the brewer. I’d be more excited to find fresh Third Coast Old Ale than either of those, but that’s not where craft beer is at today.

17. steveh

Society

I used to like Bigfoot, but usually only one at a sitting. :wink:

AlcahueteJ, Bitterbill and zid like this.
  18. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,281) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Um, yeah, no.

Upping the ABV to 11.3%. Did they forget to take the bourbon out of the barrels before putting the beer in to age?

dcotom, ChicagoJ, JohnnyHopps and 3 others like this.
  19. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,088) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

WANT.

Folks, don’t sleep on this. I had it on tap years ago, at the Eccentric Cafe, and it blew my mind.

Part of it might have been my limited exposure to barrel aged beers at the time, but between those sips of Uberon and the cask Two Hearted Bells holds at least two of my most memorable beer drinking experiences.

20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,118) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I am a fan of bourbon (and rye whiskey). I didn't like every bourbon barrel beer I have consumed but I have enjoyed the majority of them. More so for the flavors imparted by the oak vs. the bourbon I suspect.

I have only brewed with bourbon/oak cubes once but I did enjoy that batch: I called it a Bourbon Barrel Porter but needless to say I was being liberal in my use of the term "barrel".

Cheers!

21. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,590) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Sure, why not.

ElmerLovejoy and Bitterbill like this.
  22. Jeffreysan

Jeffreysan Savant (912) Apr 12, 2013 Virginia

Me three!

Bitterbill likes this.
  23. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,852) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

A single would be nice.

24. GetMeAnIPA

yeah that’s what I am thinking. I could see this going either way so dropping a decent amount of money on it or even wanting to drink a full 4/6 pack might be a bit much.

Bitterbill likes this.
  25. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,759) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

From the OP it sounds like they just dropped a shot of bourbon into Oberon. :wink:

Squire likes this.
  26. steveh

Society

Oberon boilermaker?

bret27, officerbill and AlcahueteJ like this.
  27. Squire

Society Trader

I can think of a number of things that would be improved by a shot of Bourbon.

28. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (111) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey
    Trader

Doubtful it will make it to NJ but if I see it I’ll try it.

29. eagles22

eagles22 Devotee (434) Sep 7, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Why does bells push Oberon so much?
    The mango Oberon was a miss

30. CBlack85

CBlack85 Crusader (784) Jul 12, 2009 South Carolina
    Trader

Not really a fan of Oberon, but I am curious to see how this bigger version holds up to the Bourbon Barrel treatment. On it's face, it seems that the beer will get lost in the barrel character.

JohnnyHopps and AlcahueteJ like this.
  31. officerbill

officerbill Champion (815) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

I think that might be what they're aiming for without calling it that.
    It would be interesting to see what size & style glassware they serve it in on site, that could give an idea of what Bell's considers Uberon to be.

If it shows up here (yeah, right) I'll probably end up buying a pack.

32. zid

Society Trader

Because they value it. It's one of their biggest successes and an extremely valuable asset in their brand identity.
    You can look at their website for their glassware recommendation and to see how Bell's is marketing the beer ("American wheat ale aged In bourbon barrels"). I don't know if there's really much to ponder though. Just add "strong" to the front of that and you basically have it all. :slight_smile:

33. steveh

Society

Tasting Notes: Spicy.

:thinking_face:

officerbill and zid like this.
  34. officerbill

officerbill Champion (815) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

A snifter, okay not bad, a slow sipper

I was thinking the same thing

steveh likes this.
  35. SteelCranium

SteelCranium Initiate (102) Jul 1, 2010 Ohio

Had it on tap four or five years ago at a tap takeover with almost 40 other bells brews. Was nothing like I expected. Tasted more like a strong Chardonnay than a barrel aged beer. Got into it after the initial surprise. Had it a year or two later with same results.

36. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (4,944) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

How did they raise the abv by that much? Is this an imperial version or did the barrels add that much abv?

37. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Aspirant (283) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

What's next, barrel aged seltzers?
    Give me a break already

JohnnyHopps and Squire like this.
  38. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,432) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

You're going to have to do better than that. :wink:

[​IMG]

bret27, JohnnyHopps, wspscott and 5 others like this.
  39. joerooster2

joerooster2 Initiate (21) Aug 18, 2020 District of Columbia

That's appealing to people? If so, just pour bourbon in your beer. Probably save a lot of money.

40. Squire

Society Trader

Now that hadn't occurred to me but I wouldn't be totally surprised.