Bell's Double Two Hearted returns in August, Incessant debuts in April

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ESHBG, Jan 18, 2020.

1. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (288) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Maybe I will get to try Double Two Hearted this year...

And Bells seems to be doubling down on double IPAs, pun intended:

The double-IPA version of the best beer in the country has an 11 percent ABV. It's described as "everything you love about our classic Two Hearted Ale," with 2 1/2 times the amount of Centennial hops and "intense pine and citrus notes, a resinous hop aroma and rich malt character."

Bell's also said Incessant, a double New England IPA, will debut in April. with 8.5% ABV, the beer was released last year as a Bell's General Store exclusive as part of its small batch innovation drinks. It's described as having a "juicy, tropical, mango pineapple hop aroma."

Lampshade Party Ale, a double IPA will return in November. Bell's said the limited released "celebrates a night best partially remembered," with the photo on the label different on every bottle showing a man with a lampshade on his head with a woman.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/bells-double-two-hearted-returns-in-august-incessant-debuts-in-april

Roguer, maximum12, jvgoor3786 and 6 others like this.
  2. Junior

Junior Crusader (700) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Will definitely be picking up some more Double Two Hearted and trying Incessant for the first time.

mikeinportc likes this.
  3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,149) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I had the Double Two Hearted 18 days after the bottling. I didn't care for it; perhaps too fresh?

traction, nc41 and dukeandduke like this.
  4. Lucasdia

Lucasdia Initiate (56) Jan 20, 2018 Connecticut
    Trader

i cranked back a 6 pack of the last release of Double Two Hearted faster than i would care to admit, by then it was already gone from the shelves. I like seeing this thread posted already for the next release of Double Two Hearted, but there hasnt been any fanfare for Hopslam that just came out which is IMO one of my favorite seasonals.

5. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,636) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

What's the estimated price per-six-pack on this? I just saw Hopslam at one of the local, better-priced, retailers for $18 a six of cans. Yeah, $18.

dukeandduke and Bitterbill like this.
  6. ESHBG

Ouch. Oddly enough I have never tried this beer but price is a big one for me with big hoppy beers, as they can really be hit or miss with me and they don't age well. I'll keep an eye out for singles/draft.

7. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,070) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

That range ($17 or $18 a 6er) is the price range for Hopslam for as long as I can remember. I used to buy a case of it when it released, then I went to a 6er, now I'll settle for the two pours I had on draft on Thursday, and not because of the price, but because of space in my beer fridge and the proliferation of beers I wanna throw in there.

8. scream

scream Meyvn (1,136) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

I do not care for 2 Hearted at all. I had Dbl 2 Hearted last year and thought it was a righteous beer. Will look for it this year.

BrewsOverHoes and dagimp like this.
  9. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (541) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Bells no longer distributing in VA... Boo!

10. Marklaker

Marklaker Zealot (562) Jun 5, 2014 Florida

Sampled at roughly 30, 60, and 90 days. Wasn't convinced at either point.

11. steveh

Society

Understood, and also why I expect DBL 2 Hearted will be similarly priced.

ovaltine likes this.
  12. steveh

Society

Why? I'm no big IPA fan, but I find 2 Hearted a consistent go-to for hop fixes.

Milktoast75, ESHBG and Bitterbill like this.
  13. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,683) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I am a proponent that many IPAs are a bit 'green' tasting when too young, and Two Hearted falls into that category. (I think that I've read that Bell's holds onto that beer before release into distro to give it some age.) So it stands to reason that Double Two Hearted would be the same.

#13 PapaGoose03, Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    maximum12 and Bitterbill like this.
  14. PapaGoose03

Society

I paid $17 at a supermarket price, so you're in the ballpark.

15. scream

scream Meyvn (1,136) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

I found it thin, lacking in flavor.

16. steveh

Society

Hmm. Everyone interprets differently I suppose.

unlikelyspiderperson and scream like this.
  17. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,012) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Good news about Double Two Hearted. I hope we see distro in northern New Jersey earlier. By the time it was readily available this year the bottles were over two months old.

Junior likes this.
  18. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,851) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Loved DTH! Will probably go through a case (again). Glad to hear it's coming back.

19. Kraz

Kraz Initiate (122) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Trader

I had an Incessant at the Cafe around Halloween last year and it was a pretty strong offering as far as their Hazys go. Much, much better than Official

ESHBG likes this.
  20. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,841) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

While I won't be buying this by the case, I certainly enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to the chance to pick up another pack. Glad they're ramping up production for this one.

I thought Lampshade was good, but I didn't go crazy for it. Worth picking up another pack.

Now, a NE-style IIPA? I'll try it, I suppose, but based on a very limited sample size, hazy IPAs aren't Bell's wheelhouse.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  21. ESHBG

I haven't had Official since it first came out but I remember it having the onion/garlic thing going on, fresh can too.

Bitterbill likes this.
  22. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,149) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I had a month old can. I don't remember getting any onion flavour from it. Shrugs.

23. ESHBG

I'm very sensitive to that aroma in beers and then sometimes I will pick it up in the taste, sometimes I do not.

Bitterbill likes this.
  24. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,486) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I am also sensitive to onion flavors in certain beers.

In my opinion it is a beer batch variation due to the specific hop crop used to produce a given batch of beer. Some of the reasons here:

Certain hop varieties seem to express onion flavors. For example Summit hops. And sometimes Mosaic hops.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/articles/10247/kilning-me-softly/

One part of the article that I found intriguing:

“There is also a pronounced stratification of moisture content from the bottom to the top of the kiln bed. The very dry hops at the bottom can have a moisture level as low as 4 or 5 percent, making for an extremely brittle hop that will shatter in your hands. The hops dried at the bottom also lose more aromatic oils and can take on objectionable onion and garlic tones.”

SierraTerence also mentioned:

“Also Tom stated contributes some onion/garlic notes to hops that are harvested past their optimum picking window.”

One of the hops used by Bell to brew Official is Mosaic. It would be my guess this could be why you picked up onion in the batch you drank.

Cheers!

GuyFawkes, ESHBG and PapaGoose03 like this.
  25. ESHBG

Agreed, Mosaic seems to be the one that hits those notes for me. A few years ago I was at a brewery and they gave me a beer to try and I smelled it and immediately said, "There is Mosaic in this, huh?" They were surprised I had picked up on it so quickly and it sounded like that hop may have been meant to be more of a background player. I enjoyed drinking that beer but it was not my favorite.

GuyFawkes and JackHorzempa like this.
  26. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,486) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

And that is likely a situation that your palate is very perceptive of the onion-like flavors that Mosaic hops can provide at times. I have also picked up dank (marijuana-like) flavors from commercially brewed beers that featured Mosaic. A number of years ago in my homebrewing those Mosaic hops had notable flavors of blueberries. It seems to me that Mosaic can be quite the enigmatic hop depending on hop crop year and exactly where those hops are grown. And when they are harvested as well I suppose.

Cheers!

27. ESHBG

I totally agree and I do love Mosaic in some beers.

28. Junior

Junior Crusader (700) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Incessant is around apparently. Anyone tried it yet?

zid and Cubatobaco like this.
  29. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Defender (689) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Of course Bell's would release these crazy beers after they had a falling out with VA distribution. Would love to try DTH!

Like Junior, curious about Incessant...

30. ESHBG

I haven't seen it around me yet and using their beer finder it is nowhere around me at the moment. I did notice that this is in the four 16 oz can format so I am sure if/when it lands it will be way overpriced as most of their beers in my area are so hopefully I can get a single or two.

Cubatobaco and Junior like this.
  31. bigflatsbeerman

bigflatsbeerman Initiate (146) Nov 2, 2005 New York

I never liked Two Hearted Ale. The first time I had it was in Indianapolis on a business trip and I didn’t think it was a IPA, not hoppy enough. I also stay clear of an 11% abc. Hope you enjoy it, not getting on this ride.

32. magilldm

magilldm Initiate (66) May 2, 2015 Pennsylvania

Saw on Shangy’s Instagram it dropped today...no indication on the price however but as usual I’d assume buying from them will be a few bucks cheaper than anywhere else

BeastOfTheNortheast and ESHBG like this.
  33. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,841) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

No idea about Incessant, but I'm stoked to hopefully get some more double Two-Hearted locally!

JayORear likes this.
  34. PapaGoose03

Society

Sorry to blunt your excitement but DTH has not been released again. This old DTH thread got sidetracked to the Incessant release.

35. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,182) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

Nope, the press release is from this January, announcing the return of DTH this coming August.

Junior and PapaGoose03 like this.
  36. PapaGoose03

Society

Oops! I should have started at the beginning. Thanks for the correction.

Junior and JayORear like this.
  37. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,401) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Too sweet.

slangtruth, Bitterbill and traction like this.