Bell's Eccentric Day 2015

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by magnumpoppy, Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColonelHopslam

ColonelHopslam Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan

Great time yesterday, well run as always, and getting what seemed to be endless pours of BA Expo to pair with all the awesome food was heaven. Nice meeting up with @gratefulbeerhead and exchanging some beer. Can't wait for next year.

2. gratefulbeerhead

gratefulbeerhead Zealot (578) Dec 7, 2009 Indiana

Great sharing BA expy with @ColonelHopslam as well. Just wish I could have lasted until Larry's Magical was tapped.

SpartanMSU03 likes this.
  3. bene4

bene4 Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2016 California

Didn't see a thread for this year's Eccentric Day, so reviving the one from last year. From folks who have attended in the past, how often do they tap beers that are not on the list posted ahead of time? The list for this year refers to potentially adding other offerings beyond what has been posted. I am really hoping to try BA Expo - not sure whether something like this might be added as a surprise.

Also, is there a general optimal time to be there for the best selection? Currently it looks like I might be able to spend some time there in the afternoon, possibly into the early evening, but probably not too late. Based on this (the 2015) thread, it sounds like predicting when a specific beer will be tapped is difficult. Out of what has been posted, I'm definitely interested in BA 30th - would be great to have a chance to try this one.

4. ColonelHopslam

Typically noon is when the heavy hitters start appearing. In past years, there really weren't any surprise beers, they just went off the list they provided.

bene4 likes this.
  5. Redpac

Redpac Initiate (101) Aug 27, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

Or you could start a new thread, there is a big Post New Thread button just asking you to click on it.

JakeT469, sarcastro and croush like this.
  6. Fargrow

Fargrow Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Michigan

If you went in 2015 and are missing a blue robe, it's because I accidentally stole it. I thought it was my shirt. Please contact me for a safe return of your blue robe.

7. gratefulbeerhead

We always get there first thing in the morning, just because we love Eccentric Day and because we can. It can be hit and miss with when beers are tapped. Last year it took awhile before BA Expy got tapped, but had it not too long after breakfast of chocolate covered bacon. Two years ago I started right off with Toasted Coconut Espresso Java Stout and BA Dagger within a few minutes of walking in the door. Looking forward to drinking with @ColonelHopslam again this year.

8. magnumpoppy

magnumpoppy Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2011 Michigan

Just had Bourbon Barrel Aged 30th Anniversary and it is excellent! Stick around for that one.

bene4 likes this.
  9. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (397) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

What's the wait like in the late afternoon, early evening. I'm gonna head up to Dark Horse, and then hear back to k-zoo and get a hotel room there while enjoying eccentric day.

At least that's my plan I don't want to be waiting in line all night.

10. ColonelHopslam

other than waiting a couple minutes for a beer you shouldn't have a problem. it gets busier around 4, but still very manageable with the backroom open and the new dining area. the snowstorm might also scare away some people so who knows. just make sure you have some sort of alter ego as they will turn people away if they feel the need to.

bene4 likes this.
  11. sarcastro

sarcastro Aspirant (222) Sep 20, 2006 Michigan

He might mean line wait to get in. If that is the case, when I have gone there tends to be a line to get in starting in the early evening. It does get substantial although I have no clue haow fast it moves as I am usually inside.

ColonelHopslam and hopfenunmaltz like this.
  12. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,907) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning.

We missed last year, but will be there this year.

13. sarcastro

sarcastro Aspirant (222) Sep 20, 2006 Michigan

Planned on going but Ashley can't go and my wife's schedule didnt work out. :slight_frown:

14. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,907) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Next year. We guessed wrong on the date last year, and were in Germany. Made sure we had the date right this year.

I saw Ashley at Schramm's last summer.

15. prior2two

Trader

Yeah, sorry. I should have specified.

The line to get in to the cafe. On the Facebook they talk about it being 1 in, 1 out.

16. MLovesBeer

MLovesBeer Initiate (54) Mar 30, 2015 Michigan

It does eventually become a 1 in, 1 out situation. But that line typically doesn't start until you get close to 6pm. If you come during the day, you should have no problem at all. And if you get there around 1, you should be able to score plenty of food too!

17. prior2two

Trader

It'll definitively be closer to a 7pm situation. FIB that has to work on Friday.

18. gratefulbeerhead

Got here at 4 AM and already about 250 people in line in front of me...oh wait. Was having a bad dream about another brewery.

SpartanMSU03 and ColonelHopslam like this.
  19. ColonelHopslam

Tap list is insane right now. If you are at dark horse currently, you are doing it wrong

SpartanMSU03 likes this.
  20. gratefulbeerhead

just wait for the specialty stuff that hasn't been brought out yet!

SpartanMSU03 likes this.
  21. SpartanMSU03

SpartanMSU03 Initiate (0) May 30, 2014 Michigan

This taplist is amazing. Food is great too.

22. prior2two

Trader

How "eccentric" do you have to be to get in I'm leaving from chicago in a few and really don't want to have to go home and put on a Halloween costume to just drink some beer.

23. gratefulbeerhead

Most people put on a pretty good costume. I wouldn't risk getting turned away at the door, especially coming all that way. I've seen it done.

24. gratefulbeerhead

google Eccentric Day images and you'll get an idea

25. prior2two

Trader

Well that was nuts. Definitely feeling the effects of it today.

Blackbeards Hug is so freaking awesome. I was super excited to see that one when I walked in. It might be the best beer Bells makes.

Port Expo also out of this world.

Jmorey, schepelz and SpartanMSU03 like this.
  26. schepelz

schepelz Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2013 Michigan

Got to dark horse this morning...filled out bottle slip and headed to bell's. Double barrel expo is one of the best beers I have tasted. Unreal

Boosully likes this.
  27. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (479) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

What is double barrel expo?

28. prior2two

Trader

I thought the double expo was too sweet. I couldn't finish it.

Still great, but 2oz is enough.

They still had both double expo and port expo on this morning.

29. Boosully

Boosully Initiate (139) Apr 8, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

We had the same exact game plan. Double Barrel Expo was a definitely good and unique. Ton of flavor!

30. Lazhal

Trader

Bueller?.... Bueller?....

All this talk about DB expo and no one asked what exactly it is? What barrels, etc?

31. prior2two

Trader

I asked the server on Friday night, but she wasn't sure, and with the crowd, I definitely wasn't going to push it.

32. Boosully

Boosully Initiate (139) Apr 8, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Not 100% but according to the chalk board at the cafe it is Expedition Stout aged in whiskey then port wine barrels. 15%

33. Lazhal

Trader

That sounds yummy. FFF hit some home runs last year with all the DL aged in wine barrels. Glad to see more of this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.