Bell's Hopslam (2014)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by mjshearer1, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BT_Bobandy

BT_Bobandy Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2011 Ohio

Had a 12/27 bottle today. Pretty darn good. I'm not sure I could drink a case of it but I'll sip a few over the next couple weeks. Cheers!

2. grimey68

grimey68 Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2013 Pennsylvania

Anyone know of anyone around the West Chester-Malvern PA area that will carry it?

3. HopAttack3

HopAttack3 Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2011 Virginia

In VA? I'm still seeing that it shipped today, and stores and disty in NOVA is saying first or second week of February for delivery to stores...or is someone shipping them to you?

You need to add an elder in there...

4. jwheeler87

jwheeler87 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 Massachusetts

Got one! Bottled 12/27

[​IMG]

My buddy came through huge when he went home for Christmas break. Figured this was out of my reach. It is insanely good.

smutty33 and Cubatobaco like this.
  5. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2013 Missouri

So how does this year compare with last?

6. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (773) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Well, I stand corrected if that's the case. I had heard from a few people, including a store owner, that it may be this week. If it isn't, oh well. I'll have to wait. :slight_smile: Still great beer out there to drink until then.

7. Theogre83

Theogre83 Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2013 Kansas

I hope. I contacted Royal Liquor in KCMO & they had no idea. They said sometime between now & early February.

8. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,965) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Just saw it today for the first time. Passed over it tonight, but maybe later this week...

9. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Disciple (339) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I didn't enjoy it nearly as much this year for some reason. Maybe it's because it's not unique any more and I've just been drinking much more and much better beer, but I had it on tap this weekend and if I see it in a store I may grab a 6 pack but I'm definitely not going out looking for it like I have in the past.

Simply, there's a huge amount of beer out there of similar quality that is probably a lot cheaper as well and you can get any day of the week.

10. broodog

broodog Initiate (122) Jul 18, 2009 Illinois

hem

11. broodog

broodog Initiate (122) Jul 18, 2009 Illinois

Maybe it's because posts bashing Hopslam aren't unique anymore, and I've been reading much more and much better posts. Simply, there's a huge amount of posts out there of similar quality that is probably a lot better written, and you can read them any day of the week.

12. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia

Have been looking forward to this for about a year. I've had all the greatest DIPAs in the country, yet this one brew has escaped me for a long time.

13. kdogg73

kdogg73 Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2008 Ohio

Came in to the Dayton, OH yesterday. I had just one from a bottle. I was disappointed with its aroma. Very weak to nonexistent.

14. Wylde

Wylde Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2008 Ohio

How sweet is this? I see its brewed with honey, and would love to pick some up, but being diabetic the honey part worries me a bit.

15. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

I don't think you should be asking anyone on BA for medical advice.

As for sweetness? Last time I had it, I didn't find myself thinking "wow, this is super sweet". But I don't think anyone on this site is really qualified to speak about the amount of honey is in the beer, how it breaks down on a molecular level, and whether it would give you anything to worry about health-wise.

Craigory likes this.
  16. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

Flying Saucer in downtown KC was supposed to tap their 4 kegs today, but that has been pushed back to either this Friday (1/24) or next Tuesday (1/28). When I talked to someone at Lukas on the Missouri side last week, they said this week.

It was originally supposed to ship to Missouri on 1/13, so it seems like something has gone awry with the distribution channel.

17. Wylde

Nowhere did I ask for medical advice, just a simple question.

18. LambicPentameter

Isn't the bulk of the honey used in Hopslam consumed in the fermentation process? I wouldn't think the inclusion of honey would be any more of a risk for those with diabetic concerns than any other beer. They all use sugars in some way to create the alcohol.

19. williamt

williamt Initiate (0) May 29, 2005 Iowa

1 case of Bell's Hopslam secured. Bottling date is 01/04/14. Sounds like the weather screwed up a lot of delivery's so some stores and pubs didn't get any Hopslam yet. So it took some phone calls and help from others seeking the same to find it. Sounds like there will be another round of distro delivery's tomorrow here in Eastern Iowa.

#219 williamt, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  20. thebeerisgood

thebeerisgood Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2011 Indiana

You are right. I suspect a good % of the sugars from the honey will be fermented out, which tends to increase ABV and dry it out, depending on how much is used. The honey flavor is noticeable, but not dominant, for this reason.

21. Wylde

Thanks for the responses. Maybe I will just buy a single for now (I hope there is still some left when I go to the store) before committing to 6 or 12

22. winningwes91

winningwes91 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2014 North Carolina

Can anybody tell me if it's available in the Raleigh/Durham area in NC? Thanks, Cheers.

23. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (865) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

Anyone?

24. jdoncbus

jdoncbus Disciple (374) Jun 17, 2006 Ohio

Hopslam at Weiland's on Indianola Ave. in Columbus. It's chilling in my trunk as I sit in my cubical; thirsty!

25. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

The honey is Hopslam dries out the beer considerably, so much so that Bell's adds dextrins to the beer to add body and prevent the beer from being too dry. The sweetness in Hopslam is either perceived, due to the fruity hop and potential residual honey flavor, or the residual sugar left after fermentation, the sweetness does not come from the honey.

26. HopAttack3

HopAttack3 Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2011 Virginia

Which stores in Richmond? And with the weather here in the DC metro area today, look at it getting pushed out further, along with enjoy by, fuck me...

Cubatobaco likes this.
  27. Greenbuckeye

Greenbuckeye Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Ohio

Got a case of Hopslam today in Toledo... Had to hit up 2 different stores to get it though. Enjoying one now and is worth every penny!

28. Theogre83

Theogre83 Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2013 Kansas

Yeah I'm curious what happens. Either way I want it now! If/when you hear something let me know. I'll do the same

LambicPentameter likes this.
  29. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

I'm really excited to try this.

my hype meter is at 10!

30. LambicPentameter

You still have room for moar hype. This beer goes to 11.

Or so I'm told.

Hermthegerm and Greenbuckeye like this.
  31. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

well, why not just add more hops and make THAT a ten?

... this one goes to eleven.

32. Greenbuckeye

Greenbuckeye Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Ohio

I just finished my first one of the season.... wow... just WOW! Sipped on it for an hour and very happy with how smooth this is for a double IPA. This is my second season and so happy with how balanced this beer is!

PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  33. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (773) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

I was referring to the Va Beach area. Looks like no Hopslam this week, but we did get EB.

34. beerbeerbeerbeer

beerbeerbeerbeer Initiate (125) Dec 29, 2004 Ohio
    Trader

Bought a six pack yesterday in columbus ohio. Date 12-27-13. 18$ Wheres the Hopslam? Malty and sweet. Why ship a hop forward beer out a month later to a state thats right next door? Huge disappointment!

SurlyUtopia likes this.
  35. core42

core42 Zealot (557) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

36. jbck109

jbck109 Aspirant (221) May 30, 2010 Michigan

I would say, treat it as you would a stout or another high alcohol beer, I am sure that there is more sugar in this than a regular pale, but I dont know how much. Maybe you could get this info from Bells and make your judgement based on the facts.

37. pecokid

pecokid Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2007 Pennsylvania

Westy's in Mechanicsburg, PA said via telephone today they would have it ... next week. I guess I know what I'll be doing every break I get for awhile. if only I could homebrew such a beverage...

38. runbirddrinkbeer

runbirddrinkbeer Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2009 Florida

Worst beer moment ever, when I was "uninformed" about the true nature of this beer, I passed over a pony keg of this beer HERE IN FLORIDA......god forgive me

39. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Aspirant (209) Jan 26, 2013 Missouri

It hit St Louis today.

40. Torch_Lake

Torch_Lake Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2013 Ohio

I grabbed a sixer of the 1/11 batch here in Northeast Ohio today at Giant Eagle.

JohnnyMc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.