Bell's Hopslam (2014)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by mjshearer1, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greenbuckeye

Greenbuckeye Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Ohio

FYI.... 1/10 is what I am drinking tonight!

A2HB likes this.
  2. Ernest_Hooper

Ernest_Hooper Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2012 Michigan

I got one six pack this year so far and I'm down to one that I'm saving for a special occasion next week. This beer is still phenomenal. I did a side by side with Lagunitas Sucks the other night (because that beer seems to get a particular amount of appreciation) and it wasn't even close. It was like Muhammad Ali versus Charlie Brown. From the first sip to the last, Hopslam won on every front.

I know a place where I can drink it on draft and I'm still considering going to have one tonight. Also I'm really hoping for a new shipment to come around the area so I score some more.

3. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2013 Missouri

Drinking my first one of 2014 right now. So so good

4. Wylde

Wylde Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2008 Ohio

Actually I did email them and got a response fairly quick. Unfortunately though, they dont do any nutritional calculations on any of their beers. All he could tell me was how many calories they estimate it be and that most of the calories come from the alcohol.

5. mesatrin

mesatrin Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2013 Pennsylvania

Jan 20th for PA. I will need to start looking around

6. j0elanz

j0elanz Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 New York

Anyone see this stuff popping up yet in South Florida? I heard first week of February for Total Wine (Pinecrest), but looking for an alternative source.

7. jbck109

jbck109 Aspirant (221) May 30, 2010 Michigan

That kinda sucks, thought they would have that info available. sorry.

8. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio

Picked up a case today that was bottled on 1/11/14!! Talk about fresh.

Greenbuckeye likes this.
  9. A2HB

A2HB Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2013 Michigan

Drinking a 12/20 now. I can tell you guys that are getting the fresher batches, let it sit a few weeks and the hops become much more pronounced. The first one I drank had much more citrus to it but now I'm getting bitter hops and that delicious honey finish more so than the citrus. This is one of the best beers I've ever had! Which isn't saying much considering I've only been drinking craft beer for about 8 months but still, I know good beer when I drink it and this is good beer

10. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (6,462) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Society Trader

Picked up a sixer of 1/10 yesterday, drank it that night. It tastes just the same as it did last year- which is very good.

[​IMG]

craigo19 and Greenbuckeye like this.
  11. JDizzle

JDizzle Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2010 Indiana

I just drank a Victory Hop Ranch right before popping the first Hopslam of the year.... huge mistake. The Hopslam taste like a muted watered down DIPA, with little to no "HOP"slam. Dammit!

Hermthegerm likes this.
  12. drmcleod10

drmcleod10 Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Missouri

I've been cracking the 12/27's delicious. Had 3 on draft last night and ver similar, not sure how fresh the keg was either way both delicious.

13. VanBeer

VanBeer Initiate (159) Apr 9, 2007 Indiana

Did you drink the whole sixer in one sitting? Just picked up a 1/10 batch. The first one I've seen this year. Very floral.

14. Stevedore

Society Trader

Er. Nice catch. Drank the first one in the sixer last night.

15. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,841) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

Dig the Portsmouth Brewery glass!

jwheeler87 likes this.
  16. VanBeer

VanBeer Initiate (159) Apr 9, 2007 Indiana

I love Victory. Where did you get the Hop Ranch?

17. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,178) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Got my Hopslam sixer today at lunch....bottled 1/11....11 days ago...damn that's fresh brew!

Drinking my first one now....freakin' tasty as I remember......yum

Sure wish this beer did not cost $17.99 / six, would love to get some more!

18. JDizzle

JDizzle Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2010 Indiana

Jungle Jims in Cincinnati. I travel there for work. What a Kick Ass place!! They had Black Ops just sitting around as if it was normal. Having an Ithaca Flower Power IPA right now and it's $$$.

brian44556 and DAllspaw like this.
  19. stbroome

stbroome Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2007 Minnesota

I was at the same fight last night and witnessed a far different outcome. I thought Sucks mastered the duck and weave and fought back with vicious body-blows. Hopslam came out as a former undisputed champ, realing after a brutal loss to Heady Topper and continued to show his age. Sucks was thinner and quicker to the palate and definately demonstrated his training in tropical notes, where Hopslam relied on more of a malt backbone while being winded on the ropes.

The world of beer boxing is always exciting and every match is worth the price of admission. Next weekend Surly's Abrasive may be ready for a few rounds with Hopslam.

20. stbroome

stbroome Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2007 Minnesota

My case was bottled on 1/11. It's already WAAAAAY past it's prime. :grinning: I like my DIPAs more into the future.

21. Chris_H_2

Chris_H_2 Aspirant (267) Jan 3, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

FWIW, I find Sucks more comparable to Enjoy By than Hopslam.

22. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2013 Missouri

:confused:

BeerGoogler likes this.
  23. henrichsj

henrichsj Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2013 Iowa

Anyone in Cedar Falls willing to part with a bottle? I will pay you well! Liquor store got it in at 1:30 this afternoon and all 11 cases were gone by 3:30 pm. I missed the boat and am not happy!!!

24. VitoFerrante

VitoFerrante Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2012 Pennsylvania

On freshness, I am thinking this beer will still be 90% what you would expect it to be after 2 months for sure if kept cold.

25. Danmullens1

Danmullens1 Poo-Bah (1,501) Mar 24, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

Where in Wisconsin.

26. Danmullens1

Danmullens1 Poo-Bah (1,501) Mar 24, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

Where in Wisconsin? Gotta get some.

27. core42

core42 Zealot (557) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Maybe my palate sucks but, in the past, I've had 3-4 month old Hopslam & been very happy with it. Even 6 month was good but not AS good & 1 yr Hopslam was different but still tasty to me

JasonR1975 and VitoFerrante like this.
  28. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,965) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Star Liquor in Ashland

29. VitoFerrante

VitoFerrante Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2012 Pennsylvania

I agree! I hate the "dump the 2 month old IPA" discussions. I have had Zombie Dust that is over 6 months old and it rocked. I am going to age a few bottles of Enjoy By at 3, 4, & 5 months just to see what happens. My assumption, very little will happen and it will still rock.

pieman396, JasonR1975 and mychalg9 like this.
  30. Stevedore

Society Trader

Had no problem finding it in Madison- the Metcalfe's at Hilldale just had it sitting there for $16.50 a 6pack. And I know other places have had it for a few days.

31. JasonR1975

JasonR1975 Zealot (572) Jun 11, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Agree, took a little heat for admitting to buying some on clearance Memorial weekend last year, $10.99/6. Six month old Hopslam is still better than 95% of the IPA available on your shelf at any given time.

32. Theogre83

Theogre83 Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2013 Kansas

Hopslam to be released tomorrow (1/24) in KCMO.

33. jroberts8811

jroberts8811 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2013 Missouri

yep. second that.

34. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Crusader (746) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan

Funny, I find Hop Stoopid more comparable to Enjoy By than Sucks.

35. imtroy703

imtroy703 Devotee (421) Nov 13, 2009 Virginia
    Society Trader

HAven't seen it yet. Not at Cardinal Liquors in IL nor Woodmans in Kenosha.

36. Justdoit1234

Justdoit1234 Defender (672) Jan 24, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Come over the border! Haskells has it for $1599!

37. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

Yeah, I came here to post that. I've seen a few different stores that will be getting it tomorrow for sure. Hopefully the truck-chasers don't get it all. I just want one 4-pk and I'll be a happy man.

38. Ernest_Hooper

Ernest_Hooper Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2012 Michigan

It's true that Sucks came out as the leaner and youthful contender that had given it a decent odds ratio among the bookkeepers, even against an established favorite in Hopslam. However it was not to it's advantage against the formidable malt backbone which supplanted a flurry of flavor punches that ended the event with a signature sweetness for the supporting crowd.

Currently experiencing the match up between 'Slam and Kuhnhenn's DRIPA. It appears to be more of an even struggle for the reigning champion, although DRIPA has exposed some lack of preparation in allowing a pronounced alcohol stomach to be openly exposed.

craigo19 likes this.
  39. core42

core42 Zealot (557) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Man that's nice, leaving 2 bottles behind for someone else

40. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Zealot (588) Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

A handful of years ago you could grab a pint after pint on draft at Quotations in Media. My how the times have changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.