Bell's Hopslam will be bottled this year

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by eagles22, Jan 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoos78

Hoos78 Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Singlecut?

mikeinportc and BrewsOverHoes like this.
  2. SteelCranium

SteelCranium Jul 1, 2010 Ohio

Nope. A little south of Lake Superior in a walk out cellar so probably in the 50s. We don't use the fridge up there since the cellar temp is perfect.

Don't remember the aroma but taste was good. Was expecting far worse.

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
  3. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

Picked up a sixer today at 16.99.

Always worth a grab, would I grab another? Maybe not, but I feel it’s drinking nice —sweet and malty, with a nice hop bite.

Weird how I used to call places to reserve me a pack of this one... time changes..

mikeinportc and Bitterbill like this.
  4. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Ha, I dropped them for their price so long ago I forgot about them. Good call.

mikeinportc, Bitterbill and Hoos78 like this.
  5. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Funny we get Singlecut here, but none of their hoppy stuff. I’ve had a few several years ago, but since it was a trade no clue to the cost. But if you pay TreeHouse prices there shouldn’t be much complaint about $15-16 dollars beers. Imperial Hop Drop and Roll is right there, no complaints.

Bitterbill likes this.
  6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Beer will hold up much better when stored cool vs. at room temperature.
    Hop aroma is the first aspect to fade as hoppy beers age. I would suspect that at several months of ageTwo Heated would have a muted hop aroma but as I previously posted I have never had a 5ish month old version so I personally have no experience here.

Cheers!

#126 JackHorzempa, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    nc41 likes this.
  7. nc41

Society Trader

Luckily I’ve found it under 20 days old, I’d say dependably 4-5 weeks old, real winner with 2H Ale. I haven’t had it aged, and I’d have to do that on purpose and I can guess what a 5-6 month old beer might smell and taste like. For some reason as good as it is it’s always stellar on tap, always. Most beers it doesn’t seem to matter much, but this is one that seems a bit better.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  8. JackHorzempa

Society

If you are willing to 'sign up' and do this for scientific posterity I would appreciate hearing about it.

Permit me to suggest some study parameters:
    • Store the Two Hearted beer(s) at room temperature (e.g., 70 degrees F) to simulate them being on the shelf of an air conditioned beer retailer (e.g., a supermarket). As I know you are aware this is generous condition since many (most?) of the Retail Beer Distributors in PA are not air conditioned and those beers get quite hot during the summer months (e.g., accelerated aging in those conditions).
    • When you conduct a taste test of the aged beer(s) do a side-by-side with a fresh Two Hearted. Consider all taste differences but especially compare the intensity of hop aroma and hop flavor between the aged and fresh beer(s).
    • I specifically mentioned "beer(s)" since it might be prudent to age more than one bottle/can to mitigate single bottle variability. Better yet age some Two Hearted in bottles and cans to see if that makes a difference.
    Cheers!

mikeinportc and nc41 like this.
  9. nc41

Society Trader

Lol, Nah, it’s not too pricy on sale $9.99, $10.99 everyday price. But I’ll drink mine fresh, I’m not that curious, if I want to drink off IPAs I’ll buy a six of Union Jack, that’s always 6 months old or older. And that beer at that age I know I don’t like.

Junior and JackHorzempa like this.
  10. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Like I said, it's been a while since we last got a drop of Bell's stuff here in PDX, but I think cans of two hearted we received weren't super fresh. I recall being hesitant to buy any, but as I hadn't had any in so long, I went ahead. As you surmised, the nose was not very impressive, and I recall being concerned about that (as two hearted IPA I had on the East Coast was always very fragrant with a pronounced citrus aroma). However, they tasted just fine. It wasn't quite as "juicy" and "bright" as super fresh versions I've had, but it was still quite good I thought.

I want to say the cans were 3 or 4 months old. So not quite the 5 months you're referencing.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  11. msscott1973

msscott1973 Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

Got a six pack today for $16.99, which is a $3 price drop from the norm around here. Nice.

mikeinportc likes this.
  12. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

"Good" for 6 months? How about "OK"?
    Last 6pk I got , 4?weeks ago , was from August. Previous to that, from the same place was from November , so I didn't even look at the date when I grabbed the more recent one. Had the last one of the November bottling, & the first one from the August bottling, on the same night. Definite difference. Older stuff wasn't bad , just had lost most of the citrus & floral notes. Overall impression was more bitter/piney , like some more basic old-old-school IPAs.

PapaGoose03 and JackHorzempa like this.
  13. slangtruth

slangtruth Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

I bought a six-pack in a deep-cut discount mixed case in August this year (8 mos) and it didn't taste anything much like I remember it tasting fresh, even though it was in cans. Drank them all, though - still beer.

PapaGoose03 and JackHorzempa like this.
  14. Jlabs

Jlabs Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

picked up a six pack about two weeks ago $17.99, less honey in it than I remember, but still drank great!

15. Harrison8

Harrison8 Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I paid $17.99 for mine. I don't recall seeing it below $20 at all the last few years. I'm going to be picking up another 6er here sometime too. I enjoy bottles, maybe it's just adding the Hopslam logo to my bottle cap collection, but regardless - I appreciate the switch in format. It shouldn't be sitting around long enough for oxygen/light to become a factor in flavor anyway.

16. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Had my first bottle of this batch and agree that its tops. Great batch

17. nc41

Society Trader

I didn’t see it today.

18. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yup. It is top tier IPA. I'm about to blow through my first case and might grab a second. Not many beers I would say that about today..

19. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Ya if I lived in their distro still I'd go through a case for sure

20. pjbear05

pjbear05 May 28, 2008 Florida

TW Pembroke Pines had a good supply of 6 pack long necks and 4-6 pack cases.

21. surfcaster

surfcaster Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

These "old school" beers seem to resonate more than ever. Did not disappoint. Nostalgia?--perhaps, but I enjoy the "finished" taste, robust hop presence and firm malt backbone. Honey did seem a little more subtle than prior ones.

Hard to remember what 2006 was truly like but still love this one.

22. surfcaster

surfcaster Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Everywhere in CLT

nc41 likes this.
  23. Harrison8

Harrison8 Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I'm really enjoying it this year. I think last year I was a little more into NE IPAs at the time, but the herbal / resiny notes on this beer this year are fantastic. I'll be buying another pack or two tonight.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  24. nc41

Society Trader

I’ll check again, I’m not up for a 60 mile round trip to Bestway today.

25. mcd432

mcd432 Jul 23, 2015 North Carolina

Pretty much sold out in the Raleigh - Durham area

26. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

I’ve been through two six packs, and about to start on a third. I am really liking this year’s batch. Had one on Thursday and noticed that the hops had faded a little bit, and the sweetness was more pronounced. I am definitely not complaining, just noticed a flavor change. The bottles I have were filled on 12/30, so they are about 5 1/2 weeks old.

Harrison8 likes this.
  27. defunksta

defunksta Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Society Trader

Not a fan of DIPAs albeit, but this one disappointed me yet again. Maybe I'm missing the point, but this one seems overly sweet. Malts upfront and through the end. Overpowers the hops. Too malty, too sweet, and too much. Maybe I'm the only one with that viewpoint. Anyway, maybe I should have kept my mouth shut with this opinion, but I didn't.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  28. keithmurray

keithmurray Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

Still havent seen it in my area

29. nc41

Society Trader

Sold out in Greensboro. Never saw it.

30. JackHorzempa

Society

No, you are not alone here. The sweetness aspect is more that I would prefer.

I bought one six-pack this year since so many folks seem to love this beer so I figured I would try it again but...

This year's six-pack will be my last purchase of Hopslam. It would seem that lots of folks love this beer but that is not me.

In all fairness it is not an awful beer but considering the price this is just not a worthwhile purchase for me. More for other folks to buy?

Cheers!

defunksta likes this.
  31. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

You're definitely not alone there. That's a common complaint about hopslam. To me they dialed this years batch back to a balance that I like more than the last few batches I've had. But its definitely a beer that isn't for everyone.

It probably helps that mine are usually gifts from family in Michigan. Free beer is always better

Harrison8, pjeagles and PapaGoose03 like this.
  32. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

I was leery when I saw it in NV and 30 days old, so I only grabbed one. Consumed during the Superbowl and was not disappointed. Not hyper dry like when I've had it fresh long ago, but I really enjoyed it and didn't find any overly sweet aspects. Wish I'd grabbed a couple more bottles.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  33. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Ya I often wonder during. Hopslam season how much of the perceived uptick of sweetness over the years is due to freshness, due to my palate.shifting, due to changes in the market context it exists in, or due to actual recipe change. Either way, it's a seasonal treat I enjoy and I did think.this year was a return to form after two years in a row that were kinda iffy in my opinion

Harrison8 and jakecattleco like this.
  34. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

If you're interested in getting some, keep looking. I'm pretty sure that Bell's brews Hopslam thru February and a second round of deliveries might still occur in your neck of the woods.
    http://www.bellsbeer.com/beer/availability

nc41 likes this.
  35. nc41

Society Trader

Total Wine went thru 40 cases 3 weeks ago, Bestway handed out bracelets for a 5:30 release yesterday. I don’t care to do that, if I come across it fine, if not fine too.

keithmurray, John_M and PapaGoose03 like this.
  36. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I know it's a long thread and difficult to read through, but as alluded to by others, your viewpoint is not unique. Lot's of commentary in this thread from others who share your viewpoint (including myself).

37. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

You've been buying this beer for a number of years now... Did you detect any appreciable difference in this year's version as opposed to prior vintages?

38. JackHorzempa

Society

Short answer: not really.

Longer answer: there seems to discussion every year about the level of sweetness of this beer. This discussion is complicated by the fact that as the beer ages it is likely that the sweetness aspect will become more prominent as the hop aspects fade. So, for a given year is one person reporting that the beer is 'extra' sweet because the beer is 'old' while another person reports that this year's version is not so sweet since the beer is just a few weeks from packaging? Is there variability in past years between bottled vs. canned versions (e.g., less oxidation in the canned beers?)? Perhaps some folks are more sensitive to sweetness (e.g., me) vs. other folks who do not find this sweetness aspect to be distracting?

Lots of variables here.

Oh, and then some people seem to subscribe to "palate shift" which is not something I personally buy into; my personal palate has remained consistent over decades of drinking beers of all kinds.

Cheers!

P.S. FWIW my six-pack has information of: "PKG 01/08/2021 Shelf Life - 3 Months".

nc41 likes this.
  39. eppCOS

eppCOS Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Hopslam is not my favorite beer, but I like it well enough, will have only 1 a day at most, and like a marker in time, I like that it's a seasonal. Doesn't bother me at all that the malt-honey-hops aspect can shift in dominance.
    It's not the best DIPA out there, and it doesn't bother me. I like it because it's different from the other DIPA (actually, more of an imperial honey DIPA) offerings out there. Enjoy if you like it...

40. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

It sounds like your drinking habits (regularly drinking a wide variety of styles) protect against palate shift. I've always understood the term to refer to the effect.of drinking a bunch of a single intensely flavored style (usually super hoppy) and its impact on your perception of flavors. I know that when I used to drink essentially nothing but IPA I had a lot harder time appreciating the less intense flavors found in other styles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.