Bell's Hopslam

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by AZBeerDude72, Jan 2, 2018.

1. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,395) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

2. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (674) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Pass.....The BS to get this beer in Philly is stupid. Its distributed by one place and they keep most of it to sell from their place. You can only buy one case per car even if 2 people come together. If they decide they sold enough for the day then your out of luck that day. Pushing $70 plus a case I see no reason to even bother with this beer.

The local beer distributors get so little. A few years back I put my name on a case. I never missed out on anything that was reserved and this place sells tons of beer. I got a call that only a few cases came in so they were breaking the cases into 12 packs so everyone on the list could get some. It never made it to the general public and was priced at over $40 for 12 beers.

It is good the few times I have had it but there are other beers for less and easy to find. Maybe I get lucky and find some in the mix 6 at the market near me that has no clue.

Enjoy

tzieser, beergoot, Harrison8 and 5 others like this.
  3. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

That sucks, we usually have piles of cases sitting no limit and they last for month. So weird how some states get limited and others surplus.

Eduk8traz likes this.
  4. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,010) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

This is one of the few limited releases I look forward to every year. There seems to be no shortage of it around these parts, unlike some (many?) others. I'm in.

jvgoor3786, Jaycase and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  5. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (674) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

PA is split into two different areas for Bells distribution I think. Our side gets plenty but its not sent out to local beer distributors, its sold from the main distributor. They also run a retail operation and since they sell so much Bells all year they claim the majority for themselves. Driving a few hours to maybe get beer is BS by me. If most was sent out to retail accounts it would be easier to find.

Enjoy

Ranbot, JackHorzempa and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  6. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

Ahh, that makes sense and I would do same as you. That is total crap honestly.

7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,717) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Yup, in years past Shangy's would get a lot of discussion by BAs for this whole Hopslam thing. I don't recall seeing much discussion last year (and the year before?). Maybe Hopslam is becoming passé since it is not a Cloudy IPA?

Cheers!

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  8. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,304) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Trader

The times they are a changin'...Hopslam was sitting in the supermarket here in upstate NY for months last year.

9. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (471) May 9, 2007 Ohio

I think that's true around here. The local facebook beer groups, etc. are filled with more hate than love for hopslam. Personally, when I try the hyped local beer that the buzz says is supposed to be so much better, I usually wish I just passed and bought another 6 pack of Hopslam.

10. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,038) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Sometimes the best direction is away from where the crowd is heading.

nodder, bret717, PatrickCT and 19 others like this.
  11. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,658) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Gee, I'll have to tell the retailer who gets mine for me that he isn't supposed to be getting any and have him send it all back.

12. tmbgnicu

tmbgnicu Devotee (478) Mar 15, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

It may still be a good beer, but it's very expensive around here($24 a 6 if I recall and that's at the reasonably priced stores). For less that that, I could get a 4pk of virtually any NEIPA including local options. Hopslam was one of the first beers I chased, but it just doesn't check my radar anymore. I would order a draft of it if I saw on tap though

13. JackHorzempa

Premium

Tom, how many cases does your local beer distributor get? If my memory serves me correctly my local guy got two cases last year. He kindly gifted me with a single can. I suspect that he may have done this to others - give away one can per customer so to not piss off folks by telling them he did not receive enough to sell the the beer to many customers?

Cheers!

14. JackHorzempa

Premium

I don't recall the exact price(s) but my memory was in the neighborhood of 20 bucks for a 6-pack (for those retailers who had product to sell).

Cheers!

#14 JackHorzempa, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  15. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (1,785) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

Looks like a trip over the border to Michigan is coming this week.:rofl: Gotta drink 'em before the hops fade!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

16. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,658) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Jack,

No idea about total number of cases he gets, just that I have no trouble getting what I want. But then I buy a lot of beer from him and this guy also sells a lot of Bell's beers throughout the year and that is what determines how much of an allocation he does get.

17. moshea

moshea Devotee (464) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

I've heard that now that it is not as hard to get, that it does't taste as good.

18. waltari

waltari Initiate (56) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

It certainly not worth how much they charge for it. I will wait for the Waldo's to get hopslammed for real (Stronger & cheaper)

19. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Defender (664) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Premium

I've never seen it at the local Binny's, they say it's gone in a couple days. Several small mom'n pop stores get and they sell it by the bottle at $8-10 a pop. They do that with all the high demand beers such as hi-westified, willetized etc. So $24 for a sizer seems reasonable.

20. leantom

leantom Champion (852) Nov 20, 2011 Indiana

People hate Hopslam?

That's cool - more for me!

21. moshea

moshea Devotee (464) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

It was worth it when it was harder to get, but now that it is easy to get it is too expensive

22. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Champion (804) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana
    Trader

I can get it in Indiana for 19.99 a six pack and for that I'll buy two and the mini keg. Quality beer that never disappoints. Hopslam has my money!

laketang, craigo19 and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  23. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,215) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Binny's sold it last year for 17.99 I believe. A couple days to pick it up at a binnys seems reasonable to me. I would not personally give any business to a store in IL charging $24 for a sixer nor $8 a can.

24. Jlabs

Jlabs Savant (948) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Trader

should be here in NY during the week of the 15th..usually runs $18-$21 for a sixer and plenty or places have it on tap..my fiance loves this beer so I'll be stocking u again :-)

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  25. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,218) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium

Last year was the first time Oregon received what I would describe as a full allocation of HS (most of the better beer stores in town carried it, and it was fairly easy to find on tap), I think the price out here was in the $20 to $21 range for a sixer, making it one of the more expensive DIPA's on the market. Even so, most places were limiting sales to one 6 pack per person, and most places sold out of cans pretty quickly (didn't hear any "Shangy" stories about customers finding 6 packs rotting on the shelf/floor in July).

That being said, reviews were a mixed bag last year, and I'm not sure it's going to be quite the same hot item it was last year. I'm looking forward to seeing what this year's version is like, though not quite with the same sense of anticipation I had last year.

I've been a HS fan boy for years, routinely driving an hour or more to buy a six pack or glasses on draft (when I lived in Baltimore I would drive to Philly or DC to find it. When I lived in Morgantown WV, I would drive to Marietta Ohio to find it. Last year I drove 5 minutes.). Since living out here, at least until last year, I would also trade for it. So to say I was excited to see HS here locally would be an understatement.

I don't know. I just was not thrilled with the cans of HS I tried last year, and I didn't feel the tap version was that much better. I've been a fan boy for far too long to give up just because I had one subpar experience, but I have to confess I'm more apprehensive than excited about HS 2018.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  26. foundersasap

foundersasap Aspirant (250) Feb 2, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Although I agree, there may be better (subjective) beers and the options theses days are mind numbing, I'll still pick up a six as this was a beer that changed the game. I always pic up whatever Bells is releasing. Great beer by a great brewery!

VABA, craigo19, dcotom and 3 others like this.
  27. ElijahSF

ElijahSF Initiate (177) Aug 30, 2013 California

Yep! Too many other beers have surpassed this one.

BiddzzBA, tmbgnicu and waltari like this.
  28. ElijahSF

ElijahSF Initiate (177) Aug 30, 2013 California

I think it's more of it always having been expensive considering the product, but in addition to that now there are many other options that are cheaper and that people think are just as good if not better.

29. Neverdie7

Neverdie7 Initiate (151) Jun 7, 2008 Wisconsin

Simply not worth the $17 per six pack cost anymore. It's darn good beer, but there are too many other good options now for far less. Let's see if they drop the price, but I doubt it. I know I will pass if it's $17 again. Passed on it last year.

hoppytobehere, ElijahSF and waltari like this.
  30. homerbunker

homerbunker Aspirant (206) Sep 8, 2009 New Jersey

Looking forward to the day when Bell's distributes to Jersey!

31. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,218) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium

IMHO, there's no way they're going to drop the price. Unless the cost of making the beer drops significantly, what possible reason would there be for their doing that?

The last thing Bell's wants to do is to give any support to the notion expressed by some on here that the beer is not worth the price they're charging for it.

32. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,203) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

I haven’t seen it in CA yet this year, but it sat last year.

Its ok beer....not great....and certainly not worth $22 for a sixer

I think this is a classic case of a regional beer being loved more for nostalgia than anything else

33. thuey

thuey Aspirant (219) Nov 13, 2015 California

Same with Two-Hearted. My goodness how disappointed I was. It's like perma-shelf turd at K&L. I swear they always have them.

BiddzzBA likes this.
  34. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (1,857) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Premium Trader

I've only had it once on draft at the Big Hunt, but i really enjoyed it. Can't comment on its $ value, but at least for this CA non-hazebro I would disagree about regional nostalgia. YMMV

35. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Champion (804) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana
    Trader

What year round release doesn't sit on the shelf? I feel like that's kind of the purpose of a year round beer. To produce enough of it to where the consumer can go to the store at any time and be able to purchase that beer. Doesn't make it a "perma-shelf turd" by my definition.

36. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

Wow, Two Hearted is a shelf turd?
    BA SCORE
    4.27/5
    Outstanding
    14,519 Ratings

I think it is one fantastic beer and so do most of the 14,000 reviews. It's on the shelf because it is available all year.. not that it sucks.
    :stuck_out_tongue:

37. eppCOS

eppCOS Crusader (725) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Premium

hmm...don't see Colorado on that list, and yet I distinctly remember buying some last year. Strange. But not a big deal if it doesn't get here.

VABA likes this.
  38. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (744) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Enjoy a pint and split a six with a good friend every year. I look fwd to a revisit every year.

AyatollahGold likes this.
  39. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Champion (879) Feb 5, 2014 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

Hoping to snag a mini keg of this now that they have returned!

40. Junior

Junior Disciple (335) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I'll grab a sixer and a pint or two if I see it on tap. At least I know I can find and enjoy it fresh.

I have exactly 4 IPA's rated higher than Hopslam: Heady, Pliny, Green and Dreadnaught. Not going to find those in a build your own six pack at the corner gas station. If you don't want to buy it, fine but don't tell me it's because there are so many better (better taste, cheaper, and easier to acquire) options out there. Then again, maybe I have it over rated.