Bell's Leaves of Grass Series

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by zid, Jun 10, 2019.

1. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (328) Jan 12, 2014 Bahamas
    Trader

What if say some brewery some where wanted to sell a beer called Two Hearted? Would that be an issue???

2. wasatchback

Trader

How many of the single hop beers from HF have you had? Personally I’d rather drink any one of them over a Two Hearted any day.

pjeagles likes this.
  3. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,609) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

One is a trademark. The other is a literary reference. See the difference?

4. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,899) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Using the name of a beer that is trademarked, and distributed across the majority of the country is not the same as basing a series of beers off of a collection of poems in the public domain.

5. MNAle

Society

I think your sarcasm detector needs adjusting.

cavedave and FBarber like this.
  6. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (380) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

Thanks. The black/pale was confusing me, so pretty much a hoppier than usual lager.

drtth likes this.
  7. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,605) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

All of them pretty much as long as they've been made.

I guess my sarcasm skills have faded with age, as have most of my other skills. :slight_smile: Oh well.

In college we called it the "whoooossshhhhh" factor.

8. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

What was really confusing was when several years ago someone introduced a Black IPA. Those went trough a couple of name evolutions (e.g., Cascadian Dark Ale) before going into an American Black Ale category. e.g.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/38470/

officerbill and cavedave like this.
  9. wasatchback

Trader

Could you not trademark Leaves of Grass in the field of beer? Sorry I know very little about Trademark law.

10. wasatchback

Trader

If I knew you at all it would have been more obvious. Unfortunately some of the shit I read on this sight has bent the sarcasm detector slightly.

Junior likes this.
  11. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,356) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

You can't trademark someone else's work. And once its public domain it becomes a moot point. I mean, wouldn't it suck to pay royalties every time you sang happy birthday?

FBarber likes this.
  12. MNAle

Society

Well, you do (or are supposed to) if you use it commercially...

The tale of "Happy Birthday to You".

SFACRKnight and FBarber like this.
  13. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,605) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Ahhhh, okay, then I guess I should mention my comment about the "infected" Hill Farmstead beers in the first reply to you was sarcasm also.

Cheers!

14. zid

zid Meyvn (1,347) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I do not think you are painting an accurate picture. Work that is no longer copyrighted can be in the public domain and can be trademarked. Don't confuse a trademark (an item used to distinguish a brand) with a copyright (the right to reproduce a work).

15. rgordon

rgordon Savant (984) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Big Two-Hearted River Kvass might be an issue.

Junior likes this.
  16. LarryBell

LarryBell Initiate (115) Dec 2, 2004 Michigan

Just so you know...when we came up with this idea I called Shaun Hill to get his blessing. He and I are cool with it and you all should be too.

dele, meefmoff, Bitterbill and 25 others like this.
  17. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (126) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Where are you? We get Bell's here in CA. I find it odd you aren't seeing it.

18. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,089) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Far northwest corner. As far as I know it hasn't made it this far north yet. Never seen it north of the bay

thesherrybomber likes this.
  19. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,872) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Bitterbill, rgordon and FBarber like this.
  20. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (149) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

21. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,872) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, but the point is that is how beer "styles" are created or evolve. The modern concept of hard and fast definitions for a particular style is not one that most brewers have followed over the centuries, nor have brewers' beer styles or ingredients ever respected national borders.

Lager brewers in the Baltics saw a market for a stout-like beer, but they brewed it using their house lager yeast, so the "Baltic Porter" style was created. US ale brewers of the 19th century saw the popularity of lager beer overwhelming their market, so they created sparkling/cream/present-use ales. US lager brewers after Repeal found it easier to use lager yeast for their ales, so they brewed "bastard" ales, fermented at higher temps. Many pre-craft US hoppy ales used Hallertau or other Noble hops more associated with pilsners and other light lagers.

No one (well, a few did...) accused them of "mixing different traditions".

22. thesherrybomber

Trader

I guess I'm more concerned with staying power. No idea if America today is unique in how many different brewers are doing just about everything and anything under the sun. Will some eventually become as "American" as Budweiser? Or will we always have to preface "___ inspired"? Experimentation for experimentation's sake is fine and dandy, but what comes next? Or is it a never-ending loop?

And what happened to cream ales, anyway?

23. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Never ending process. That's how we get some things that stick around for a while. Try lots of things (guided trial and error) and keep those that work.

Bitterbill likes this.
  24. thesherrybomber

Trader

Well, beer is always going to change. I'm talking more "flavor of the week" trend happening now. That would be a nightmare. A lot of earlier styles, breweries, etc. from the 80s-00s have all but disappeared, which is a shame since at one time they were it. I'm not the only one here who misses them.

25. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,193) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

FBarber likes this.
  26. Beer_Stan

Trader

I forget sometimes that California is the size of a small country, I just reviewed their beer finder map and I'm flummoxed. Especially because in So. California, Bell's goes through Craft Beer Guild aka. Sheehan Distributing who I'm certain has a distributing arm up there. Maybe try GSO in the mean time and have a store down here ship you some freshness. I hope you can find it in your area soon.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  27. rgordon

rgordon Savant (984) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

If that's the same Sheehan group out of the northeast, they told Bud to kiss off years ago and developed their import/craft portfolio, which Bud tried to quash.. all the.while staying Bud distributors.

Beer_Stan likes this.
  28. Beer_Stan

Trader

Hmm I don't know their dealings in other markets but it would make sense that they would do that in areas where craft/import are weakest.

29. rypkr

rypkr Champion (877) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

#1 in this series is absolutely fantastic.

It's an incredibly unpretentious beer. That is, Bells is certainly not trying to appeal to the masses with this as it's certainly a niche style/description.

Having one now I'm loving it. It's unfamiliar to most ipas I've drank in a long time.

It almost reminds me of the first time that I had boston lager. BL had a certain earthy bitterness to it that was all I could taste when I first tried it.

These days my taste buds are so muted to hops that boston lager doesn't even taste at all hoppy. Drinking this beer I'm nostalgically reminded of those unique bitter notes.

dele, Jacobier10, ichorNet and 9 others like this.
  30. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (240) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I picked up a single of Song of Myself and it was very good. Reminds me of some of Victory's IPAs e.g. Vital.

BrewsOverHoes and drtth like this.
  31. ichorNet

ichorNet Meyvn (1,158) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts

I found Song of Myself to be enjoyable (had the big floral/earthy/herbal German hops with a crackery pale malt; not aggressive but also not too subtle) but not exciting, however, it did pique my interest in the upcoming beers in the series. If the tentative schedule sourced from the first post in this thread ends up being accurate, this should be a cool series with some really subtly-unique ideas running throughout. Sounds very "Bell's" to me, so I'm in!

Jacobier10, ESHBG and BrewsOverHoes like this.
  32. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,299) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

2nd in the series seems to be out & about. Anyone have a chance to try it?

drtth and zid like this.
  33. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,380) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

It's a very nice gose. Mildly tart with a some plum a well rounded beer. Easy drinking and refreshing. If It wasn't Oktoberfest season I would be picking up more.

34. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,524) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Jaycase likes this.
  35. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,897) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Just did the other day. It is pretty good. The best part is the plum is very light/faint. More noticeable in color than flavor. It is also not overly sour. More like a traditional German Gose.

drtth, FBarber and Jaycase like this.
  36. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,889) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I've only seen the II and I really enjoyed it.

37. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (76) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

I’m still on I - Song of Myself. To be honest, this is exactly the IPA I’ve been searching a long time for, hoppy, but in such a subtle and elegant way. I wish more breweries made these Old World IPAs - does anyone know of any comparable brands?

unlikelyspiderperson and zid like this.
  38. shand

shand Meyvn (1,421) Jul 13, 2010 Florida

Looks like Beer III is a Black IPL. Kinda stoked on that.

ESHBG, PapaGoose03, zid and 4 others like this.
  39. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,089) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Damn that sounds great. May have to wade back into the trading arena for that one

BrewsOverHoes and FBarber like this.
  40. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (76) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

So, a hopped-up Schwarzbier? No objection to that, let me start my search!

ESHBG likes this.