Belma hop

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by memory, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (522) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

My Belma/Cascade/CTZ IPA has matured a bit now and my impressions now are:

It cleans up good. All the funky yeasty/grassy notes are gone. The orange is strong - it's sometimes like drinking orange juice. Aroma is relatively weak, just a little dankness, but the taste is nice. I will be doing a Calypso/Belma saison soon and an English IPA with lots of Belma.

2. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (1,228) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Let me know about that saison. I'm interesting in doing the same thing with Belma.

Perhaps a Amarillo, Belma saison or something. Or Belma/Nelson.

Seems to fit the bit from my impressions with my Galaxy Belma IPA go.

3. wspscott

wspscott Savant (979) May 25, 2006 Kentucky
    Subscriber

I was thinking of that same hops combo, what timing did you use for the hops additions?

4. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (522) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

For 10 gallons of 1.063 OG beer:

1oz of CTZ - 1st wort hop.
    2oz of Belma,2 oz Cascade, 1oz CTZ at 15 minutes.
    2 oz each of CTZ, Cascade, Belma in whirlpool, after cooling to 170F (let sit at 170 for 20 minutes, then resume chilling).
    2oz Belma + 2oz Cascade, dry hop for 7 days.
    (Total hops = 16oz)

5. wspscott

wspscott Savant (979) May 25, 2006 Kentucky
    Subscriber

Thanks, that is very close to what I was thinking. I am going to use Belma to bitter vs. CTZ.

6. premierpro

premierpro Disciple (384) Mar 21, 2009 Michigan
    Subscriber

I started drinking my Belma ESB this weekend. I am very happy with the results. I think this hop would also work well in Belgian styles.

7. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Initiate (0) May 21, 2010 Texas

More on Belma hops. I just popped the second bottle.

http://alcaponejunior.wordpress.com/2012/12/19/belma-ipa/#comment-1204

8. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

9. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Defender (675) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

My # is still unopened, but what you describe is real close to my expectations for Belma. Thanks.

10. AlCaponeJunior

I will probably try another IPA with belma for bittering, a little belma and a lot of cascade for flavor (late), and belma/cascade for aroma (dry). I still really love cascade hops, and think belma might complement them well. We'll find out.

11. FATC1TY

Subscriber Beer Trader

It will.

I used Belma with some Galaxy and Cascade and they all play well.

AlCaponeJunior likes this.
  12. mnstorm99

Good to hear, I have all three of these...and always keep cascade around.

13. premierpro

premierpro Disciple (384) Mar 21, 2009 Michigan
    Subscriber

I am going to brew a Belgian Triple next with all Belma Hops. I think the spice and orange characture of these hops will be a good fit for this style.

14. Jaysus

Jaysus Initiate (154) Jan 16, 2003 Pennsylvania

I tapped my Belma SMaSH last night... my first thought after my first sip was "I'm brewing a saison next, and using this hop" ;)

15. AlCaponeJunior

I think it would make an excellent saison hop.

16. geocool

geocool Initiate (175) Jun 21, 2006 Massachusetts

I also bought a lb of Calypso along with my lb of Belma, so please keep us posted about your IPA. I'm thinking about dry hopping a Tripel with a blend of Belma/Calypso.

17. mnstorm99

Kegging and adding the dry hops this weekend, so stay tuned for another couple weeks until I give girst impressions.

For what it's worth, here is the recipe: http://hopville.com/recipe/1670043

18. koopa

koopa Poo-Bah (1,825) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Have you used "a lot of cascades" for late additions before? In my limited experience doing so, they produce a borderline cloyingly sweet "candied grapefruit" flavor that I just don't dig. Don't get me wrong, I like what they add to a beer when using a restricted amount in conjunction with other hops and I know that taste is subjective.

19. mnstorm99

The question here is...what is "a lot"?

20. mnstorm99

That also sounds good, but I typically age a tripel so dry hops become pointless pretty much.

21. kjyost

kjyost Initiate (0) May 4, 2008 Manitoba (Canada)

Maybe bulk age in a secondary and then dry hop it, just for a change.

22. geocool

geocool Initiate (175) Jun 21, 2006 Massachusetts

Yes, and yes, I agree with both of you. I bulk age in secondary for a few months and then dry hop for two weeks before bottling. Though I usually still like to let the bottles sit for at least six weeks before opening, there probably won't be a lot left at that point. I am doing a ten gallon split batch and want to keep half of it a pure Tripel. That really only leaves dry-hopping for the other half if I want to get these hops in there. I'm hoping that at least I'll be able to open a few bottles early and get a sense of what these hops are like and if I like it, and still have a good Tripel either way. I'm thinking about using them in the brew kettle for a Saison down the road so please everyone continue to post your experiences with Belma!

23. mnstorm99

I did the same with my India Pale Lager. Not sure why I didn't think of it since I just did it in a keg for my barleywine.

I think six weeks is still fine.

24. koopa

Beer Trader

From my limited experience doing so, adding say 3+ oz at flameout (5 gallon batch) and then dry hopping with 2+ oz created the cloying sweet flavor. Mind you they were with cascade pellets that had just been freshly released. I've also noticed that fresh amarillo pellets added in similar quantities and those times added a similar "candied peach" quality to a few batches. Now I limit the use of those hops to reduced amounts and usually use them more in conjunction with other hops instead for that reason.

25. FATC1TY

Subscriber Beer Trader

I will be brewing a Saison with them. Only thing that I'm wondering how it will work is that I swear these hops leave a creaminess and body to the beer. More so than I've noticed in my other beers, and my grist is a stock grist I use for a simple IPA or Pale and move around to suit my hops and how big I want the beer to be.

I'm thinking a Belma, Cascade, Citra/Amarillo Saison.

The head retention/foam on my IPA is disgustingly good. I've had good head on most of my beers, even the bigger ones but this one just has the most incredible mouth feel of any IPA I've had.

26. JimmyTango

JimmyTango Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2011 California

I am totally with you on this, and have found the same to be even more true with Centennials at f/o.

27. AlCaponeJunior

Well when I say a lot, i mean "a reasonable amount." None of these 19oz of hops in the last 15 minutes type IPAs that occasionally show up here. :rolleyes:

Cascade went well with willamette, and is this probably the best IPA/hoppy pale ale I've made yet. Those hops were in these proportions:

• 1 oz cascade 60 min
    • 1 oz willamette 60 min
    • 2.19 oz willamette 5 minutes
    • 2.57 oz cascade 5 minutes
    The reason there are oddball amounts is because I was using up the last of a couple 8oz packages.

Obviously belma is different than willamette, so I'd have to consider the ratios and times according to what I want to accomplish for a particular beer. We'll see what happens when the time comes!

but yeah I use the phrase "a lot of cascade" loosely.

28. koopa

Beer Trader

I actually just double checked the last recipe that I brewed using cascades which produced the "candied grapefruit" flavor and it was actually a Sierra Neveda Pale Ale clone with 1oz added @ 10 minutes and 2oz @ flameout for a 5 gallon batch. No dry hops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.