Best 5% beers that come in 12 oz cans?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sportscrazed2, Nov 1, 2018.

1. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Aspirant (264) Mar 29, 2010 Indiana
    Trader

I like to have a couple new beers pretty often. I need to lower my cholesterol right now and I looked at the doctor recommendation for alcohol and they say 2 a day for men. Well if a pint of beer is 7.5% that's not exactly 1 beer now is it? Any recommendations for stuff that would fit the "standard" drink description that i could drink 2 of and be within guidelines?

GrumpyGas and DEdesings57 like this.
  2. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,010) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Well, any recommendation will be a bit of a shot in the dark without knowing what you like.

Deschutes Mirror Pond is @5.0%.
    Founders All Day IPA is @ 4.7%.

Plus, many craft pilsners, witbiers, and kölsches and most so-called "session" craft beers (such as the aforementioned All Day) will be in that ABV vicinity.

For imports, PIlsner Urquell, König Pilsener, Reissdorf Kölsch, O'Hara's Irish Stout, a genuine English Bitter (not ESB - too high ABV), such as Coniston Bluebird, and many Belgian wits such as Hoegaarden Original White Ale are at or below 5%.

3. TooGood

TooGood Defender (661) Jan 28, 2014 Minnesota

New Glarus Moon Man, stock up next time you're in Wisconsin.

4. MNAle

I almost included that one, but, sadly, they insist on being WI-only! :slight_frown:

5. TooGood

TooGood Defender (661) Jan 28, 2014 Minnesota

Moon Man is the only beer I buy by the case. Every time I cross the border I come back with a case or 2 of Moon Man.

bigstar87, sportscrazed2 and MNAle like this.
  6. sportscrazed2

Trader

When does the Rennaisance faire start again?

7. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (1,542) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

Fullers London Pride comes in at a cool 4.7%. It should be readily available at your local Total Wine or BevMo.

eppCOS, Premo88, cavedave and 3 others like this.
  8. sportscrazed2

Trader

If i knew what either of those places were i'd be all over em

TonyLema1 and RaulMondesi like this.
  9. sportscrazed2

Trader

Is beer as cheap in wisconsin as i've been led to believe? I think i've only had new glarus a handful of times when going to baseball games and stopping at that cheese castle place on way back

10. zid

zid Champion (898) Feb 15, 2010 New York

- What ABV range are you open to?
    - What styles are you looking for or are against?
    - Why does it need to be in cans?
    - Are you looking for something that you’ll have a few times at most and then move on from, or something that you’ll want to put in heavy rotation?

cavedave, Jaycase and TongoRad like this.
  11. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,478) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Yeah, the cans issue may be a stumbling block because most of those seem to be 16 oz (or 500ml) these days- even the new Samuel Smith's cans.

12. sportscrazed2

Trader

I'm basically looking for stuff that I can have 2 of and be within the standards of 2 drinks per day doctors recommend for males. I drink 1 beer then look at beer advocate and it usually prompts a second. That's all fine and dandy until the first one is a 7.5% double IPA in a pint sized can. That basically means drinking 1.5 beers in one can. Was just looking for beers that would meet the criteria for 1 drink. Heavy rotation if good enough or if not just to try once and move on.

13. sportscrazed2

Trader

Cans doesn't matter just looking for stuff that fits the definition of a single drink in one container

14. TongoRad

Premium Trader

Okay, if that's the case then many of the Samuel Smith's beers also come in 330ml bottles, including the Oatmeal Stout and Taddy Porter at 5% each.

15. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Initiate (179) Dec 24, 2011 Texas

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is 5.6% and you can get it pretty much anywhere. It's a fantastic beer,

16. Livyatan1996

Livyatan1996 Disciple (310) Sep 29, 2017 Missouri

you could go ahead and help your wallet out too and switch to hamm's or pbr. but there's plenty of the aforementioned styles that are around or under 5%. i know some parts of indiana get urban chestnut and quite a few of their brews fit around there and are very good

GreenBayBA and sportscrazed2 like this.
  17. readyski

readyski Aspirant (227) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Having found the Alpenflo again (this time in a sixer reasonably priced) I'm tempted to say that - 12 oz can 4.8% and delicious. But that wasn't easy to find out here, maybe more available in your area. Nevertheless it seems you need to embrace styles that shine in your ABV defined range (such as Helles).

18. Socialillness

Socialillness Initiate (47) May 9, 2018 New York
    Trader

Lawsons super session... End of discussion :wink:

mickyge, seakayak, MeBeerGood and 2 others like this.
  19. sportscrazed2

Trader

Well might need to Google and see if my part of Indiana is one of em

20. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,010) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Pilsner is the answer. Now what was the question?

21. zid

I mean this seriously - You can also stick to just one 7.5% 16oz beer a night and you’d still be following doctor’s orders. The total alcohol consumption is the same as two 5% 12oz beers.

TongoRad, Jaycase and drtth like this.
  22. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,198) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Mars Cheese Castle is the absolute worst place to pick up beer off the interstate in WI if one is trying to be price conscious. Next time stop off at the Woodman's there in Kenosha for beer. Easy off/easy on and the prices on New Glarus can't be beat.

sportscrazed2 likes this.
  23. zid

I should have added: But I get it - you’re tempted to have two.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  24. MNAle

As @zid points out, it is actually 2 "standard" beers in one can.

12 oz @ 5% ABV = 0.6 oz of alcohol
    16 oz @ 7.5% ABV = 1.2 oz of alcohol

eppCOS, George1005, JimKal and 4 others like this.
  25. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,198) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

It's an AAL but I thought Sierra Nevada Sierraveza was a well made version of the style. Good news it will be year round in 2019 and in cans to boot. Keep your eyes out for that one.

26. sportscrazed2

Trader

Thanks for that. Been doing math wrong apparently

Harrison8, zid and TongoRad like this.
  27. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,060) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, an outstanding Hefeweizen that is only 5.4% ABV.

28. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,332) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

Lagers if I’m looking low abv
    Firestone lager
    Summit hellerpils
    Schells fort road Helles
    Many others, unfortunately you can’t always find the last 2, but they’re great beers.

29. Cnote_crafty_1

Cnote_crafty_1 Aspirant (238) Apr 8, 2015 Pennsylvania

doctors DO NOT recommend 2 beers a day, WHat!?!?! I haven't really chatted with my doctor about that, but I find that hard to believe that they would even recommend one a day as o.k.

TonyLema1 likes this.
  30. Cnote_crafty_1

Cnote_crafty_1 Aspirant (238) Apr 8, 2015 Pennsylvania

YAAAAh, Ice HOuse WOOOOOHOOOOO

31. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (829) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Sierra Nevada Nooner 5.2% ABV

GetMeAnIPA and Billet like this.
  32. sportscrazed2

Trader

Nah I meant that it's gneral guidelines like "if you're gonna do it anyway this is safe"

Cnote_crafty_1, Lahey and bret717 like this.
  33. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (357) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I don't know how many michigan beers you get down there, but theres one called paled it by saugatuck brewing. I believe it's somewhere around 5 and it's freaking delicious. Good luck with your health by the way, good on you for listening to the doc.

34. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,334) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Easy enough to accomplish - just get a smaller glass that only holds 8-10 oz...

[​IMG]

35. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Devotee (446) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

I'd suggest Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier. It's 5.4% and as good a beer as is out there in that range. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is the answer to many questions. At 5.6%, it might be the answer to yous also.

36. AmeriCanadian

AmeriCanadian Zealot (552) Jul 5, 2014 Tennessee

If you can find it, Monday Night Brewing's Han Brolo (hazy pale ale at 4.7%) and Southern Prohibition's Devi's Harvest Breakfast IPA (4.9%) are really great lowish-grav, hoppy beers that offer a little more flavor than the OB Pinners and All Day IPAs of the world (which are also solid beers). Also, Goses, in general, are a great category for sub-5% beers that make for easy but tasty drinking, if you're into tarter beers.

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
  37. elohim

elohim Initiate (184) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

agreed. If I am drinking something around the 5% mark there is at least an 80% chance it is a gose. It is the best low abv style imo.

TongoRad likes this.
  38. TongoRad

Premium Trader

Close, but that would be Gueuze, not Gose. :slight_smile:

AmeriCanadian and elohim like this.
  39. elohim

elohim Initiate (184) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

After you drink enough of them they start to sound the same anyway :wink:

Cnote_crafty_1 and TongoRad like this.
  40. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (834) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

If you need to lower your cholesterol, clean up your shit diet and start working out regularly. Not drinking every day should probably be a thing, too. If that doesn't work, then fuck it, you gotta die from something, right?

And this:

[​IMG]

And, of course, this:

[​IMG]