Best Aged Imperial Stout

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Beertsipper, Dec 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweffin

Sweffin Savant (989) Jun 25, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

2. Thepleasantimbiber

Thepleasantimbiber Initiate (194) Oct 30, 2013 California
    Trader

The Abyss. Fresh, it feels like too much is happening, and that the flavors aren't really in sync. But 2-3 years makes everything blend and work together incredibly well.

3. fishmich

fishmich Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2013 Michigan

Bells Expedition is without question the best stout ive ever had with many years on it. i think it gets better the older it gets.

4. JAntony345

JAntony345 Initiate (0) May 1, 2010 New York
    Deactivated

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

5. McStagger

McStagger Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2005 California

Parabola has been the best for me. But there are soooo many I haven't tried.

6. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Crusader (746) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan

Expedition and TenFidy

7. Ohiovania

Ohiovania Crusader (789) Aug 13, 2008 Ohio

From experience I've noticed, in most cases, that a lot of Imperial Stouts that are around 9%ish seem to not improve with age. They may change laterally, still drinking nicely with an evolved profile, but not necessarily worth investing the time and cellar space into in comparison to what the brewer originally intended.

That being said I gotta go with:

Plead the 5th
    Founders Imperial
    Stone IRS
    Expedition

8. LIBeer

LIBeer Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2009 New York

Southampton Imperial Russian Stout
    Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
    Bell's Expedition Stout

9. SinBoldly

SinBoldly Initiate (36) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois

FIS, WWS, and Expedition are great to age (amazing what starts to happen to FIS at around 10 months), as well as Stone IRS. I've currently got some Evil Twin Love you with My Stout set aside as an experiment. Speedway seems to me, "good to cellar" just means "good to have on hand". It doesn't seem to change much at all.

Darkness '13 was the only one I regretted. It started to fall off in only 10 months (but it was so perfect to start with I don't know what I was thinking . . . .)

10. Hopzilla

Hopzilla Initiate (103) Dec 4, 2013 Florida
    Trader

These beers have adjuncts like cinnamon, vanilla, and chiles that tend to fade over time (the same adjuncts that really set these beers apart and make them so special in the first place).

11. Bshaw22

Bshaw22 Champion (889) Aug 29, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

I guess I should drink my Darkness 2013 then!

12. WITTBEER

WITTBEER Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2008 Illinois

A brewer from Bell's came to a tasting I had last month. Among other things he brought with him was a 2007 Expedition. No oxidation or off flavors, just a damn tasty beer.

13. dwoolley1

dwoolley1 Devotee (434) Dec 16, 2009 New York
    Trader

Taking everything into account, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

VABA and TurkeyFeathers like this.
  14. markgugs

markgugs Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New Jersey

why?

I mean, yes, I agree, it's still a good beer with some age on it, but why let the cinnamon & chiles fade?

15. markgugs

markgugs Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New Jersey

for regularly available, non-BA imperial stouts, I've found - like several others have mentioned already - that Bell's Expedition Stout, Founders Imperial Stout, and Stone Imperial Russian Stout are all really, really good with about a year on them. They turn into such amazingly integrated chocolate bombs.

once you venture into the BA versions, I love BCBS at the 2-year mark, and one that I haven't seen mentioned yet that does really well is Great Lakes BA Blackout with 1-2 years on it. So damned good.

Phoam likes this.
  16. cmwilliq

cmwilliq Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Wisconsin

Being from Wisconsin I am a big fan of the typical Bourbon County Stouts and of course Founders KBS but one of my favorite lesser known stouts to age is Mother's MILF out of Springfield, MO. After a year or two it easily rivals Bourbon County. Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout is up and coming but does not have nearly as good of a mouth feel as the others.

atone315 likes this.
  17. atone315

atone315 Champion (893) Oct 8, 2008 Wisconsin

Completely agree with MILF, just wish it was easier to find.

18. Chikincoop

Chikincoop Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2014 New Jersey

Besides the normal stuff already mentioned, i agree with Tiny after a year or two on it. Also, i had some Troegenator (dopplebock) that i forgot about in the cellar. After a year, it is an awesome, underated beer.

19. mooseisloose

mooseisloose Meyvn (1,345) Nov 16, 2005 Florida

Hamm's Bear Beer, went out in the snowbank in the first snow in September (saves on fridge space) never find it all until the snow melts down in May. The brew was exquisite after a nine month snow bank aging.

floridadrift likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.