Best and Worst Baseball Stadiums for Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerKarmaNYC, Mar 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChittyChambers

ChittyChambers Aspirant (268) Jan 12, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

http://www.eater.com/2015/4/16/8340045/baseball-stadium-craft-beer-guide

This was a list for last year so I would be curious to see how it looks this April. Baltimore has some solid offerings including Flying Dog and Heavy Seas brews at almost every bodega. Natty Boh will actually only be available on draft this year. I wonder(hoping) if something else like oscar blues or sam adams is coming in cans.

2. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Devotee (401) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

Brooklyn? were they playing the Dodgers? I heard they moved to LA...

(sorry. Really Old Guy post)

djtothemoney likes this.
  3. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Devotee (401) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

I'm beginning to get the message that Greenville SC is about the coolest place I've never been to, in the US.

4. Skwalk47

Skwalk47 Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2010 Massachusetts

Anyone that says Fenway's beer selection doesn't suck (along with everything else about Fenway) is an idiot. GREEN MONSTA BROOOO

Fenway is the worst, I get the nostalgia factor, its cool, but my fellow Bostonians who think it actually doesnt suck as a place to watch baseball are in denial.

bittym87, GeoffreyM, palphen and 2 others like this.
  5. ackeeper

ackeeper Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2008 Illinois

Fixed that for you. :wink:

6. ikaika122

ikaika122 Initiate (124) Apr 16, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Between the Sox love and your avatar, I am afraid we can't be beer drinking buddies :slight_smile:

riverlen likes this.
  7. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (496) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Is it true they have Smith's hot dogs at PNC Park???
    Literally the only hot dog I will eat...

8. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Aspirant (238) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Or you just take the Green Line to its end on the other side of town and catch a Saints game at CHS Field. Cheaper tickets and a wider craft beer selection in the Craft Beer Corner. Can't say the game play would be much better but hey, there's always the slim chance Bill Murray might show up!

Pug, MNAle and BBThunderbolt like this.
  9. ackeeper

ackeeper Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2008 Illinois

Ouch! I suppose I can have a beer with a Cubs/Man U fan. But, it better be a very good beer. Especially after this past weekend. Man, that was a bad one. It's been a rough week.

10. ikaika122

ikaika122 Initiate (124) Apr 16, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

The one thing you Chicago gooners have going for you is the Globe...always a solid beer selection and amazing sports watching, not just soccer. Apologies for the thread digression.

11. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,033) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society

It does suck that it is Citi Field now but the beer list isn't bad. It is far better than Yankee Stadium. Maybe when Yankee Stadium is Bank of America or Monster Energy Stadium it will have a better beer list.

12. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,215) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Trader

It has been mentioned already, but it is worth repeating: Rogers Centre has to be the very worst. The one craft offering last year is a middling beer at best. Huge variety of macro/euro pale lagers though...

Cameron_como and jrnyc like this.
  13. JoshVelez

JoshVelez Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2015 New York

I had their coffee stout and was impressed, the way they conduct themselves and how they often ignore the locals in the community, [local distillery & local art studio owners along with locals) as a bronx native i didn't enjoy being asked if i closed out my tab 12 times after i closed it out and being kind and leaving a healthy tip i just found that offensive] i find it difficult to support them.

i am glad their beers are getting better because the year round selection left a lot to be desired considering how far nyc beer has gone with OH , Grimm Finback singlecut & even Gun Hill

Since the beginning they've been brewing in Wisconsin and at Shmaltz, lately ( after equity buy out) they've started to brew most of their stuff on site, i believe they are still contracting brewing for their cans which are widely distributed.

#133 JoshVelez, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  14. jeffgott

jeffgott Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2015 New Jersey

Considering I will at the all star game at PetCo in July, its going to be quite the beer and baseball experience! Cheers

15. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2010 Indiana

The Gateway Grizzlies of the Frontier League in Sauget, Illinois (east side of St. Louis), has $5 draught pints of Bud, Bud Light, Shock Top, Lemon Shandy, and a few others, along with 16oz cans of Big Muddy Brewing. Combine that with the ~$8 tickets and great seats close to the game....you have my business.

Cameron_como and BBThunderbolt like this.
  16. jeffgott

jeffgott Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2015 New Jersey

I have been to all 30 stadiums and altho I haven't been into the craft beer scene for the duration, I thought Cleveland last July (2015) was very impressive as opposed to many others including the 2 stadiums in NY

[​IMG]

jds16 likes this.
  17. Crawfish61

Crawfish61 Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2013 Louisiana

The selection at University of Louisiana's Tigue Moore Field is very good. Parish Brewing, Teche Brewing, Abita, and other local breweries are on tap. The food is spectacular with grilled oysters, great pizza and a ton of choices. We have one of the best atmospheres in college baseball and being able to drink good local brews while cheering the Ragin Cajuns makes it even better.

18. dripa8

dripa8 Initiate (183) Sep 19, 2014 Kansas

Put me down for Kauffman stadium in KC. Not only do they have plenty of craft and you can get every Boulevard selection, you also can watch last years and this coming season World Champion Royals. Quality beer and quality baseball. Priceless!

JeremyDanner likes this.
  19. KEEPonPOURING

KEEPonPOURING Initiate (151) Oct 28, 2015 Virginia

The Diamond of the double-A Richmond Flying Squirrels. Dollar dogs and 32oz pours of Chin Music, an amber lager from Center of the Universe, get me squared away every time.

20. crisis1290

crisis1290 Aspirant (213) Dec 5, 2015 South Carolina
    Trader

21. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (583) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

Where do you find Troegs and Oskar Blues next to the bleachers? I have a 10-game pack and have never seen a stand with these options. Of course I arrive early to have beers outside the park so I don't have to pay those prices...

22. Donco

Donco Devotee (455) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

I'd become a Padres fan just for this...:sunglasses:

Trojan713, mschofield and jrnyc like this.
  23. Ericness

Ericness Initiate (130) Nov 21, 2012 Massachusetts

Went to my first PawSox game last year and was pleasantly surprised by how much better the beer experience was than Fenway. Not outstanding mind you, but better. Good fan experience as well.

24. kinopio

kinopio Aspirant (261) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts

Fenway is a bummer for beer. Meh selection at astronomical prices. I usually bring in a small bottle of whiskey. Luckily the Fenway area has tons of good bars so I do my beer drinking before and after the game.

mickyge and Newport_beerguy like this.
  25. jds16

jds16 Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Ohio

Jacobs Field was named for The Jacobs Group, the then-owner's company. Let's not kid ourselves about "The Jake" not being a corporate name.

26. craft_beer_ninja

craft_beer_ninja Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2016 California

Can't forget when we have Beerfest and the Park gets filled with even more breweries!

27. Bgonzo

Bgonzo Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2014 Kansas

Kauffman Stadium has a whole section of the ballpark dedicated to craft beer called Craft and Draft. At any time it has 75 craft beers available along with a whole tap line of Boulevard beers. Not many parks can say that. Also attended a Royals Twins game at Target field and they offered a bunch of Surly stuff which was cool.

KCUnited likes this.
  28. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (7,909) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Sure, but it's at least not blatant, and shortened to the nickname, it's actually enjoyable. I'm a big baseball fan, but if you were give me a list of stadium names, and ask me to pair them with teams, I'd probably get less than half. How many names has Houstons stadium had now?And, like I said, they haven't written me a check yet. When they do, I'll start trying.

29. billbeers

billbeers Disciple (332) Jun 14, 2012 Pennsylvania

PNC Park is a beautiful place and has a better than good selection of beers. Beat 'em Bucs !

oneeye likes this.
  30. HectorB

HectorB Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2013 New York

Safeco in Seattle is pretty sweet for beer.

31. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,110) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Not like Sicks Stadium, home of the Seattle Rainiers? :wink:

[​IMG]

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  32. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

But, that was also the owners name, much like Wrigley. I've never seen Bob Petco at a Padres game. :wink:

33. jds16

Not blatant only because the name of the then-owner and his company were the same. Living around Cleveland, it gets pretty old listening to sanctimonious blowhards who don't know what they're talking about discuss Dick Jacobs like he was some sort of altruistic angel who wanted nothing except the Indians to succeed at any cost (reality: he was a ruthless businessman who put out a great product at the right time and then sold high when he saw the inevitable downswing coming), and the Dolans as cheapskates who care only for taking our money (reality: no matter what they do, they're doomed by unrealistic expectations and now that the Browns exist and the Cavs are good, the Indians are third place in the hearts of the locals). Those people tend to be the ones who cry loudest about "The Jake", and they tend to be idiots. I liked the name "Jacobs Field". But I'm over it. And Progressive Field has way better beer than The Jake ever did.

34. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,110) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

And, cleverly, the name of a couple of his beers (6 = "symbolic pronunciation") :wink:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

35. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

That top one is actually a pretty neat label. I'm glad to know that they paid their Internal Revenue Tax.:stuck_out_tongue:

36. CantankerousCaveBear

CantankerousCaveBear Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2015 Canada (ON)

Selection at Fenway was terrible, went last September. Selection here at the 'Skydome' is fucking atrocious too.

Much has been said about the province's obtuse liquor laws, and they disrupt or actively curb the growth of microbreweries.
    Our liquor stores are held back by being in bed with major breweries, which view craft beer as a threat.

We can find great deals for Belgians, not necessarily for local products. The LCBO does a great job for everything from Cognac to Chilean Malbecs, just not beer. It's a pity. Fortunately, Toronto is a walkable city for being so massive, so one can just find their own niche after a game.

For a stark contrast our AAA affiliate in Buffalo has a fine tap selection (they don't just guzzle Labatt Blue in WNY..)

Newport_beerguy likes this.
  37. HeislerGold

HeislerGold Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2013 Michigan

Seems like Progressive Field in Cleveland is upping their game to bring more fans to the park.

I just read that they've added a 10 tap GLBC beer garden, and concessions stands from Fat Heads and The Brew Kettle.

jeffgott and jds16 like this.
  38. jds16

GLBC beer garden at Progressive Field will also apparently include some pub exclusive beers.

39. Phil-Fresh

Phil-Fresh Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2015 California

Why would Public House not count when you can access the stadium from there and take their beers in? I remember drinking hella Ommegang Aphrodite and feeling pretty good about life Hahahahhaha With 21A down the street and Public House to get a few in for the game - the Giants have a kick ass set-up. And it is an Even Year, so I'm liking our chances!

atomicpunk5151 likes this.
  40. yuenglingfan101

yuenglingfan101 Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2010 Ohio

I know Wrigley sells old style but not sure what else

tzieser likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.