Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Best Bang for Your Buck?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Resuin

Beer Trader

SN Bigfoot is a great deal, around $8.99 for a six-pack, great right away and great in the cellar.

victory4me and SortaAmbivalent like this.
  2. Wreckoncile

And my favorite best bang for the buck is whatever homebrew I'm making. My barrel aged RIS comes out to a buck a bottle, which is a steal relative to the cost of the four pack at the local bottle shop.

Although, it is worth noting that I don't include labor costs in this calculation. But it's a labor of love so I don't see the need to.

3. draheim

Beer Trader

So have you ever had a beer, any beer, that, no matter how much you drank, had absolutely no effect on you?
    Maybe it's just me, but I've literally never experienced a situation where I felt like I wasn't getting drunk enough.

4. ggfunk

Rayon Vert is an amazing value.

JBogan likes this.
  5. draheim

Beer Trader

Point taken. But if we're going to go to that level of detail to determine the value we're getting, I guess we should also consider how far away the beer was brewed. Especially given current energy prices, it costs significantly more money to get glass bottles full of perishable, temperature-sensitive liquid halfway around the world than it does to pick up a 6-pack at your local brewery.

6. Durb777

Beer Trader

I couldn't agree more.

7. LMT

LMT

I walked out of Total Wine with yet another 4 pack of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout yesterday for $7.99 and was thinking the same exact thing! That and a 12-pack of SN Celebration for $15.99 (not cellarable, but still a tremendous value).

Every year I try a few seasonals I haven't had before, only to go back to these two consistently. Yeah, I'll keep trying different seasonals at all times of the year, but it's always nice to have the "reliables."

8. JBogan

Picked up a six pack of Full Sail Wassail 7% seasonal for $4.99 a few weeks ago. At around 83 cents per 12oz bottle, a very satisfying purchase.

Falcone likes this.
  9. beercanman

Lagunitas has quite a few, brown shugga 9.99 a sixer.

Goldfishman likes this.
  10. Wreckoncile

It is worth noting that a lot of "imported" beer (at least the major marketshare leaders, not really the ones that likely to be brought up in this thread) is actually brewed domestically by contractual arrangement with American brewers (BMC). I don't believe Weihenstephaner or any of the Belgians fall into this, but that is why things like Heineken, Guiness, et al can compete with domestic beers in cost.

Although my point wasn't to calculate overall costs of production, only to get to the idea of value per ABV point. All of the overhead costs associated with a product (marketing, transport, etc.) don't figure into the calculus I propose. I just suggested that while a beer with 5% ABV may be less than a beer with 9% ABV, the cost per ABV may be roughly equal (and think of it with two such beers by the same brewer, as in Dale's Pale vs. Ten Fidy), but the cost per unit of ABV might be comparable.

11. cjoc83

Beer Trader

One of the best 'bang for your buck' brews IMHO (and I just picked up a sixer of this last night to reinforce this) is Flying Dog's Raging Bitch Belgian IPA. While there are definitely better BIPA's out there, at $10.50 a six-pack, you can't beat it for the great hop and Belgian yeast presence, plus it doesn't hurt that it clocks in at 8.3% abv, so it's ideal to bring to a party (which I'm doing tonight)!

12. yoitsarch

Beer Trader

Big Daddy IPA bomber for 3.99
    Pretty much any Firestone sixer which range from 6.99-9.99

13. jRocco2021

Beer Trader

I would say Michelle Jenneke if this whole Olympian prostitute thing catches on....oh wait you meant beer. In that case Central Waters Satin Solstice 6 pack for 7 or 8 bucks. Really solid brew and cellarable although I was never able to keep it that long.

BrownAleMale and 1Sundown2C like this.
  14. DNICE555

Beer Trader

Hop Stoopid for bottles. Growler of Ghandi bot for tap beer. 19 bucks for a 2L (67.628 ounce) stone issued growler of 8.8 percent Heaven ... I'll take it!

15. BryanK

Hop stoopid is $8 a bomber in Canada? thats insane. $4.50 range where i live here in Buffalo

16. jRocco2021

Beer Trader

ISO: Growler of Ghandi Bot FT: My Soul

17. highdesertdrinker

Beer Trader

New Belgium Trippel sixer is 6.99 at Total Wine and the ABV is about 8.5%. It's not a true trippel in my estimation but it's a cool beer nonetheless. A pint of Vitus is 2.99 also at the Total Wine and you're not going to find a better deal on a World Class brew IMO.:D

18. RMoeNay

You mean for $15.00 :p

19. IKR

IKR

Mission Street Anniversary Ales sold at Trader Joes. I paid $3 for a 22 oz bottle (2011 Vintage). $0.14/oz @ 8.5% ABV. Tastes good and especially considering the Brewery that makes it, a steal.

Angst and highdesertdrinker like this.
  20. highdesertdrinker

Beer Trader

Dude, your Av rocks.......literally!

21. IKR

IKR

Thanks, your good taste in music shows!

22. dauss

Beer Trader

I'll add a +1 for Trader Joe's Vintage, $4.99 for a 750ml, 9% ABV, brewed by Unibroue.

For my area, I'd say, Flying Dog Raging Bitch, $8.99/sixer, is great bang for the buck. I could drink a sixer of Raging Bitch. Not sure if I could drink the 4/6 pack of the old ales/barleywines mentioned earlier....

23. raffels

24. DNICE555

Beer Trader

yeah I only brought one growler... 15 for just the Ghandi if you bring your growler... even better!

25. jettjon

I 2nd Torpedo when it's on sale (like it is now, woot!), although most Oskar Blues products are a great value, too. If you enjoy Scotch Ale, Old Chubb can usually be had for a good price.

26. sibhuskyx

Trader Joes Vintage Ale
    Almost anything Sierra Nevada
    Almost anything from Lagunitas
    North Coast Old Rasputin

27. denver10

Deschutes's Red Chair...sixer for $6.99.

kojevergas likes this.
  28. UnderJoath

Beer Trader

CW BBS

Mealhouse likes this.
  29. joakley

Torpedo and celebration 13.00 per 12 pack. Hell of a deal.

SortaAmbivalent likes this.
  30. Lerxst

Best bang for the buck? Sierra Nevada's year round stuff is tough to beat at $12.99/12 in my area. What else can I say except I love SN for maintaining a high level of quality while keeping prices about as low as anyone who brews quality beer.

I also agree with the OP about BCS. Damn good beer at a very reasonable price.

Racer 5 at $4.99 a bomber is also a staple in my fridge.

chuckstout and SortaAmbivalent like this.
  31. RBassSFHOPit2ME

Ma

32. Potemkin

Haven't had it in a while before tonight, but Stone IPA bombers at $3.99 is a pretty nice deal.

33. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale ¡Bad Trader!
    ¡Bad Trader! Beer Trader

Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout for $3.99 a bottle is my absolute best bang for the buck, followed by Bear Republic for $4.29 and Lagunitas Imperial Stout for $4.99 a bottle.

Angst likes this.
  34. wvsabbath

Beer Trader

Victory Helios, A 22oz bottle i can pick up for 3.99$. Great flavorful saision at 7.5%. Lots of hops, very floral, and easy to drink. This years celebration has been a great deal, 13$ a 12-pack, might be thee best deal.

35. Brianhophead

Bearing in mind that beer in Alberta is ridiculously expensive there is one brew that hits that sweet spot of cost, volume, alcohol, and deliciousness. Peche Mortel imperial stout from Quebec's Dieu du Ciel brewing. For $20 you get a six pack of delicious imperial stout clocking in at 9.5% abv.

36. Ish1

Beer Trader

I have to laugh when people list bombers as a good deal. Even a $2.99 bomber is the same price per oz. as a 9.99 6pk! Torpedo 12pks go on sale for $10.99!!! No bomber can touch that value.

elgiacomo likes this.
  37. kojevergas

Beer Trader

Alaskan Amber. Guinness Foreign Export. John Martin Guinness (for Europeans). New Belgium Abbey. Founders Breakfast Stout. Bell's Kalamazoo Stout. Allagash White. Old Stockyard (Trader Joe's).

I wish I knew all the prices and sizes. I know Alaskan Amber can be found damn near anywhere for $9.99 or better per 6 pack. Foreign export is just over 2 quid per bottle in the west of Ireland. John Martin is right around there per bottle on the continent. Founders comes in 4 packs methinks. The other three I'm not sure about.

38. Giantspace

Old Forge IPA $10.99 for a 16oz sixer cans. Pale ale is $9.99. My new go to regular.

Enjoy

39. Stinkypuss

Has to be Gin. Handle of Seagrams Extra Dry for 17.00. That's a bang for your buck and this post is proof of such.

40. Lutter

Right now... HE'BREW Sweet Sixteen @ $7.99. 16% ABV, delicious, and available everywhere around town. One bottle can last me 3 days with a wine top. With the ABV/style (American Strong Ale) it'll store indefinitely.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe