Best bar or eatery within walking distance of Madison Square Garden

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by tikk, May 22, 2013.

1. tikk

tikk Apr 15, 2007 New York
    Beer Trader

Hey,
    I think the title says it all but Thursday the wife and i are going to msg to see the Bruins finish the sweep of the Rangers. We are taking a train into town and I want some good beer before the game. Not really interested in taking multiple cabs so it doesn't have to be the best, just hoping for a good spot with decent food. Being a transplanted Bostonian I have no idea where to go, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tikk

2. NYCBUCKEYE

NYCBUCKEYE Jan 21, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Hi Tikk,

The best beer bars in the area are Rattle N Hum, which is on 33rd and 5th, and the Gingerman Tavern, which is a couple more blocks away. Both serve decent food.

Enjoy!

3. gregkoko

gregkoko Mar 12, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

I'd go Ginger before Rattle (I'll be at Ginger before the game). If you can wait til you go into the game to get food there's a fantastic burger stand that also serves Sixpoint, Bronx, and Ommegang inside the arena. Gingerman is more apps than Rattle. Both have very small menus, but those are your options for good beer right by the arena.

4. FatSkippy

FatSkippy Mar 21, 2005 District of Columbia

Sbarro on 33rd and 7th

xnicknj, mikeburd1128 and joeebbs like this.
  5. marshmeli

marshmeli Feb 14, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

Ginger and Rattle can get very crowded before concerts at MSG due to happy hour crowds, not sure how they are before games... Stout halfway down 33rd street has some decent food, is much bigger and some nice craft beers, it may be a better spot.

6. gregkoko

Beer Trader

Stout will be PACKED before the Rangers game. As a lot of people also go there just to watch the game. I've definitely had better luck at Ginger beforehand.

sandman3479 likes this.
  7. HansCastorp

HansCastorp Mar 16, 2007 Ohio

I've ended up at the Beer Authority a few times lately and enjoyed it. Slightly cheesy sports bar feel, but a fairly solid tap list and the food is good. Probably about a ten minute walk up on 8th.

cheers

8. phooky

phooky Jan 23, 2010 New York

mdfb79 likes this.
  9. marshmeli

marshmeli Feb 14, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

True but there is much more room than Ginger, to get a table they would be need to get there earlier (5ish as mentioned)

10. gregkoko

Beer Trader

Very very true.

11. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Sep 13, 2012 New York

+1 to the Beer Authority rec. The beer list isn't necessarily on the level of Ginger or Rattle, but there are always a bunch of good-very good options and most importantly from my perspective I've never had trouble getting a table. And the food is solid. If an awesome tap list is your first priority go Ginger or Rattle, but if you want a slightly quieter, chiller vibe to comfortably eat dinner and have a few beers I prefer Beer Authority.

12. gregkoko

Beer Trader

I think Beer Authority is on the same level as Rattle (they should be considering same owners) but neither is as good as Ginger's selection/pricing. Some of the prices at Rattle/BA are flat out laughable.

dazedandconfused likes this.
  13. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Sep 13, 2012 New York

Agreed on the occasional pricing hiccups, Ginger definitely tends to be better.

As for the selection, I think thy're intended for different audiences. Rattle is intended as more of a hardcore beer bar whereas Beer Authroity is going for more of a restaurant/sports bar concept that also has good beer. The Beer Authority list includes Bud Light, Yuengling Light, Stella, and Hoegaarden. I don't think you're likely to ever see any of those at Rattle. It also includes a heavy emphasis on "entry-level craft" (for lack of a better term): Pales, IPAs, lagers and wheat beers. Nothing wrong with that, there's beers in all of those categories on the list that I could drink damn near every day of my life. Rattle despite the shorter list tends to have more things I haven't tried before and if all I'm interested in is a beer I'd be more likely to go there. Just my $.02.

14. tikk

Beer Trader

Thanks everyone, I decided on the sbarro recommendation. But seriously I'm at ginger man and it's great. Thank you all.

15. jkane101

jkane101 Sep 22, 2007 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Fuck the Bruins

vonnegut21 likes this.
  16. tikk

Beer Trader

I was looking for beer selections, not for something to do after the game. If that's what you want to do, have fun.

phooky likes this.
  17. jkane101

jkane101 Sep 22, 2007 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Oh come on..a Boston native cant take a little ribbing when it comes to NY v Boston sports?? ;)

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe