Best base beer and hops for a strawberry and jalapeño beer

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GetMeAnIPA, Apr 13, 2022.

1. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (731) Mar 28, 2009 California

I am brewing a strawberry and jalapeño beer. I have sliced jalapeños and strawberry purée soaking in vodka for tinctures that I plan to dose the finished beer. I want the jalapeño and strawberry to be the “star”, the main focus of the beer. Originally I was thinking of just making a basic blonde ale, then thought maybe adding something like 10% wheat might be nice, and I’ve even thought maybe a cream ale would be ideal.

also, debating on hops. Should I just use hops like willamette to provide some balance and subtle spice or should I go with something like starta or mosaic that might add some additional subtle fruit flavor?

2. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (776) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

I would go with a Cream Ale, low hops. Strawberry is super subtle and hard to get across. Any late hops will make strawberry even more difficult to pull off. Cream Ale has a nice sweetness from the corn that should help the strawberry pop as that is the missing flavor profile for the strawberry. Most of the flavor of the strawberries come from the sweetness, so you want some sweetness to come from the malt profile, but not caramel malts.

Lukass, Eggman20, billandsuz and 3 others like this.
  3. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (731) Mar 28, 2009 California

thanks for the feedback. I started leaning towards cream ale. I did a jalapeño cream ale and thought the flaked corn was a good addition. Then add some strawberry, just might be a really fun and enjoyable beer.

4. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (123) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

For the Jalapeno, I would suggest a American Wheat. I imagine it would work for the strawberry as well. I can't remember his name, but some higher up loved a buddies Jalapeno wheat at homebrew con a few years ago.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  5. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Zealot (536) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Never did that combo, but did brew a blueberry habanero ale.

I boiled the habanero fresh and hole the last 10 min of oil.
    Blueberry in secondary. It was fine.

14 lb rahr
    1 lb l0
    152 mash
    1.5 oz goldings @60
    !notty yeast

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  6. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (1,976) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

Belgian blonde.
    Belma hops are supposed to have a bit of strawberry character, but I never got that from them.

7. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (88) May 18, 2017 England

Personally, I'd probably be thinking of something like a NEIPA to work nicely with strawberry and jalapeno. I'd definitely want to keep bitterness low, to avoid being too obnoxious on top of the chilli heat, and body and sweetness fairly high (without adding any caramel flavours) to bolster the strawberry and blanket the heat. Maybe roll back the late hops on a normal NEIPA since the fruit will already be bringing plenty of, er, fruit.

If you're not big into NEIPA then I'd look for something else that ticks roughly those two boxes - American Wheat or Belgian Blonde sound like a decent ideas, too. Belgian Wit or even hefeweizen could work too if you don't mind a bit of yeast character.

Or just make some sort of a daiquiri, I guess...