Best Batch of Willettized yet!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Dansac, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (139) Dec 6, 2014 California
    Trader

So, yesterday I saw some Willetized and Societe The Pupil pop up fresh in my TD Joe's!

Willetized was going for, brace yeselves, 10.99 a 4pk. That's here in LA, in the West Side.

I grabbed two four packs and one society sixer.

I think this is the best batch of Willettized yet; roasty nose, sweet, good barrel presence. Full bodied, fuller than previous years, without being sticky or sludgy like a pastry. 13%, but it drinks rather easily. Previous batches came across a bit thin and overly sweet, but this has that roasty fullness of High Westified!

Is it as good as High Westified? Probably not. But it's close, and for 10.99 a four pack (12 with tax) it is simply the best deal in beer out there.

I bought an additional four pack today.

bbtkd, Junior, officerbill and 14 others like this.
  2. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,173) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I enjoyed this years Willetized, but yeah, my recollection was High Westy was a little better. But as you mentioned, you can’t beat the price.

eppCOS likes this.
  3. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,668) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

I grabbed a four-pack not long ago, and it's already gone. My "local" got a few cases in, so I didn't feel the slightest bit bad at grabbing 3 more four-packs, especially at that price.

Tough to compare batches for me, especially with so many beers of that style now. I definitely enjoy the hell out of it, though. :slight_smile:

ChicagoJ and eppCOS like this.
  4. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (432) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

I absolutely like this year's better than last years, but I don't think I can identify why that is.

eppCOS likes this.
  5. Donco

Donco Devotee (455) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

I like them with some age on them. Nonetheless, at the price, I had to buy a case of the 2020. Excellent beer at any price.

6. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,712) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I recently tried thus year's, a 2019, and a 2017 in the space of 3 days. 2017 had lost a step but was still good. Last years was a bit fuller feeling (which was my recollection of it fresh as well) and more chocolatey/fudgey (which I did not recall from it fresh). This year seems to have a little more barrel - not booze but that whole wood tannin, ash, leather thing - and a bit of a thinner body. To me its just a question of personal preference for the style though between those two and I'll be. Curious to see how this years will change in a year. I got 4 4 packs cause ive always run out in previous batches. Definitely a value.

eppCOS likes this.
  7. bret27

bret27 Poo-Bah (1,783) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Society Trader

When you say to High Westy are you referring to the Ballast Point beer?
    Just curious

8. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (432) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

Willetized used to be High Westified until Ballast Point's parent company bought the High West distillery.

9. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,943) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

This is my first year trying it so I can't say best ever, but I can't say it is god damn good. My case is almost half gone. For some unknown reason I just now felt compelled to put a splash of peanut butter whiskey in one. Not my proudest moment as a Beer Advocate, but it ain't bad.

lucius10, officerbill and Dansac like this.
  10. DIM

Society

Ooops, meant to say CAN say it's god damn good...

Junior likes this.
  11. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (139) Dec 6, 2014 California
    Trader

I think as the carbonation tames a little on this one it might turn out to be the thicker batch yet. I definitely agree with the barrel. It's also roastier than I recall previous batches.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  12. o29

o29 Initiate (77) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Trader

I do really like this year's Willetized Coffee stout, though this is also the first year I've had the opportunity to try it. For the price it's difficult to beat.

On a somewhat related note, this might be a dumb question but does anyone know why the bottles state "aged in rye oak barrels" while the description reads "we were fortunate enough to get some of their Bourbon barrels"? Isn't rye whiskey aged in different barrels than bourbon? And if so, which are they using?

13. officerbill

officerbill Crusader (705) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Bourbon & rye whiskeys each have to be aged in new charred oak barrels. Willett makes a high rye bourbon, maybe that's what they meant. Willett also makes a rye whiskey so maybe Lagunitas is just calling any American whiskey “bourbon” ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Even the website is unclear
    implies both rye & bourbon, but
    seems to mean bourbon only.

o29 likes this.
  14. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (665) Mar 28, 2009 California

I can’t remember years past but do know I have liked them all and this year is no expectation. What I get out of this years is a nice barrel and whiskey note with a lot of dark fruit and dark chocolate with caramelized brown sugar. It’s smooth with very minimal booze. A nice bitter finish to keep the sweetness in check. It does leave a stickiness on my lips.

15. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,881) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

That is beer poetry right there!

Cheers to you!!

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  16. Steve_Studnuts

Steve_Studnuts Devotee (493) Apr 21, 2015 Pennsylvania

Oh, fuck you all!

Everyone gets to try this beer but me.

*pouts like a beer-bellied 4-year old*

officerbill and DIM like this.
  17. DIM

Society

Where are you in PA?

18. Steve_Studnuts

Steve_Studnuts Devotee (493) Apr 21, 2015 Pennsylvania

Erie area. We got Westified the last year they made it, but have never seen Willetized.