Best beer bar in Richmond/Twickenham

Discussion in 'British Isles' started by NavyGuy, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NavyGuy

NavyGuy Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2008 Florida

Going to Australia v. Wales next Saturday at Twickenham, anyone have any good beer bar recommendations?

2. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Poo-Bah (1,758) Jan 24, 2011 England
    Society

What are you looking for in a pub? I know a few in Richmond and Kew but for Twickenham all I know is the real ale.com shop, which is worth checking out.

3. NavyGuy

Thanks, any recommendations for real ale pubs with solid food would be preferred, probably going to pre-game in Richmond. Real ale.com looks epic, and on our walk to the stadium, will definitely hit it up on the way by (PS - are you allowed to have an open container on the street, plastic cup maybe?). Cheers.

4. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Poo-Bah (1,758) Jan 24, 2011 England
    Society

On the street should be fine, I think at worst near the stadium security/stewards may ask you not to bring stuff into the grounds. The reale ale.com shop has a decent selection of cans in the fridge - Beavertown, Wild Beer, Moor, Mikkeller, Evil Twin etc. Also Struise Black Albert. Oh and if you have a growler, they normally have a cask of ale for takeaways. When I was there on Monday it was Oakham Citra.

There's mostly Youngs (The Orange Tree always looked decent, though crowded on match day) and Fullers pubs in Richmond which would be alright for Youngs and Fullers beers. I quite liked the Cricketers which normally has Greene King IPA plus sometimes a decent guest. May be worth checking out http://whatpub.com/ for CAMRA opinions on the local pubs, and for what it's worth the Rifleman in Twickenham was the local pub of the year.

If it's a nice day and you fancy something different I would also recommend Steins, which is a Bavarian cafe right on the river front, a really beautiful location just upstream from Richmond bridge (the bridge you cross over to get to Twickenham). Great authentic food and German beer on tap and in bottles (relatively small selection though, and the beer is quite pricey). I sometimes used to get some food then walk a few hundred metres back down to the White Cross pub which has Youngs beers and local guests like Sambrooks/Twickenham.

5. NavyGuy

Great info, thanks again!

6. Ruds

Ruds Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2008 England

Simples ... The Sussex Arms, hands down the best pub for real ale, bottled and keg beer in the Twickenham / Richmond area for a number of years. Added bonus is that its far enough away from the ground (20 minutes walk) to not get totally swamped on a match day.

http://www.thesussexarmstwickenham.co.uk/

7. NavyGuy

Looks like a great spot, cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.