Best beer for the money?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeastOfTheNortheast, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,300) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

It's not a great beer, but most of the people that go crazy for it are BMC drinkers.

2. drh88

drh88 Aspirant (239) Dec 21, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Yuengling Summer Wheat is quite good and very affordable.

3. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (437) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

For a while had really good deals on Left Hand cases of mix packs, got 24 beers for $25, and would get 4-6 different beers. Now they are $31.99 I think.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  4. YamBag

YamBag Initiate (190) Feb 2, 2007 Pennsylvania

Was going to post the same. Can't beat the price for a 24 pack of half liter cans, plus they're not skunked. This has become my beer for non-craft beer drinkers when I have people over. I really want to try their maibock, but can't find it anywhere.

Ranbot likes this.
  5. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (110) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Lagunitas High West 6 packs for $11.50 and Keystone Lite 30 packs for $13.

NickMpls and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  6. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Initiate (112) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

6 Packs of Arrogant Bastard Tallboys are a steal at $13.99 out here.
    SNPA for $8.99
    Smuttynose 6-packs for $10.99
    Brooklyn BCS 6-packs for $10-
    Jack's Abby 6-pack Tallboys for $9.99

All stupid deals.

7. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,337) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Undercover investigation shutdown is also up there. DIPA in a six pack that's $11. That's a 9.5 % ABV beer

8. Phoodcritic

Phoodcritic Devotee (417) Jul 3, 2014 Michigan

Dirty Bastard 12-pack for $16.

9. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (299) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Pretty much anything non bomber format is a solid deal in NM. $7-$10/sixer can get you 90% of the products on the market (@ a place like TW, otherwise, add $2). That translates to $14-$18/12 packs, when available.

Lagunitas Sucks at $8-$9/sixer is a true "ABV/oz" steal.

Anymore, this local grocery store is selling "non fresh" Firestone Walker and I'm gobbling that up at $5/sixer on luponic/union jack.. I'm hoping Pivo makes the list soon.

Maybe NM is unique (with low median income etc) but I never felt out matched when having to choose beer.

By and large, the biggest seller is 6 packs or 12 packs of Bud light at gas stations, and thats easily $1/bottle. So to ramp up to say $1.11-$1.25/bottle, there is little sacrifice needed here in NM to maintain a "craft" flavor preference.

I will add, much like Bp did with their Sculpin product, I am seeing DFH and Elysian (both just entering the state within the past two months) price their IPA sixers some $2-3 MORE than 75% of everyone else, including many locals and CO/AZ regional beers. So there is definitely some cause for concern as I see no value out of DFH 60 min or Space dust at $11-$13/sixer, when locals sit some $4 less. So its not all rainbows and sunshine in NM.

Furthermore, when Azacca by Founders is available in a 15 pack for the same price as "Alpine" Pure Hoppiness is in a sixer, that is the definition of Best Beer for the Money.

Great thread. We all should post the crap deals, along with the ones that we manage to scoop up

#89 Oktoberfiesta, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  10. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Initiate (188) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

I will say Lagunitas is best bang for buck in terms of ABV and quality.

kwakwhore and ZebulonXZogg like this.
  11. CCBone

CCBone Initiate (164) Apr 29, 2016 Oregon
    Beer Trader

The best value I have ever seen was a case of dogfish head 90 minute for $28 at my local Costco. I still suspect it was a mismark, but they sold it to me all the same

12. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (299) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

AN unnamed place sold me a four pack of BA Ten Fidy a few weeks back for $14. It had the ring around 4 ( I did not manipulate anything). I probably can't ever get better than that. I won't even try to seek out better deals, and just live with that come up for the year .

fehrminator, CCBone and jp_4 like this.
  13. jp_4

jp_4 Initiate (124) Jan 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Lagunitas High Westified is an absolute steal. I like Sweet Baby Jesus for $8.99 for a 6 at my local store. Spaten Optimator also enjoyable for about the same.

I second that a 4-pack of Heady Topper for $12.50 is a steal.

14. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,300) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Last year around this time goose island was on sale for $10 a 12 pack and the. There was a coupon for $7 off 2. $6.50 a 12 pack when I bought 2, as much as I don't like giving them my money the winter ale is too good to pass up at a cheaper price than natty. I went a whole spring with 312, IPA and winter ale as my cheap beers.

15. RogelioRodriguez

RogelioRodriguez Initiate (150) Nov 7, 2015 California

16. Jirin

Jirin Aspirant (282) Apr 28, 2013 Massachusetts

Sam Adams. Boston Lager is a really good beer, and the one beer you can count on bad bars to carry in New England.

mikeinportc likes this.
  17. tjwarren

tjwarren Disciple (349) Dec 31, 2008 Ohio

Just finished my last of a six pack of SN Tropical Torpedo that was $8.99 a sixer. That is a contender.

18. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Champion (864) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Premium Member

Saw it at Weis ( in NY), which is based in PA.

VABA likes this.
  19. WIBeerSnob

WIBeerSnob Initiate (175) Jan 31, 2017 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I will buy it once in awhile for my wife. For me, it's one of those beers where if I go out to eat in WI, and the beer selection at the restaurant sucks, I'll default to getting a Spotted Cow. It's certainly not a bad beer, I enjoy it...I just like trying other brews that I don't normally get to try.

My dad on the other hand (who lives in IL) can't buy enough of it. When he visits he'll buy a couple cases and "smuggle" it back to IL. Then when he has a party, that's usually the first beer he runs out of. His friends love it.

Of course it's well known that New Glarus doesn't distribute outside this state. I think that adds to the mystique and novelty of it for those that live out of state. Every once in awhile a story will pop up (usually out of MN) where a bar owner would pickup a 1/2 barrel of Cow in WI, and then tap it in their bar in MN. Only to get busted and get a huge fine. Silly Minnesotans :grinning:

JackHorzempa likes this.
  20. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Devotee (407) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Evil Twin Michigan Maple Jesus.

Wait, no, that's wrong... very wrong...

I'll say a Jack's Abby variety 12-pack for $16.

21. zacky_U

zacky_U Devotee (437) May 22, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

sixer of two-hearted

dgmirelli and FLBeerGuy like this.
  22. JBogan

JBogan Champion (829) Jul 15, 2007 California

Lagunitas High Westified and Born Yesterday sixers at $10.99

Sierra Nevada Narwhal at $8.99 a four pack

Firestone Walker mix 12 packs at $15.99

I know this probably doesn't count, but the best deal I've seen since maybe ever was when Total Wine cleared out their Chouffe N'Ice 4 packs at $4.99. Needless to say I picked up multiples of that one.

23. CrimeDog

CrimeDog Aspirant (248) Dec 31, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

That's insane.....that's worth the gas to drive up there

HuskyHawk likes this.
  24. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Savant (961) Mar 23, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Not the cheapest, but personally, I'm a big fan of Three Floyds flagships for 40 bucks a case. Fresh Alpha King can't be beat for that price, IMO.

25. Statonxyb

Statonxyb Aspirant (214) Feb 17, 2015 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Three Floyds Alpha King
    Three Floyds Zombie Dust
    Lagunitas
    Sierra Nevada

26. pinyin

pinyin Disciple (323) Sep 19, 2013 New York

Sierra Nevada
    Sly Fox
    Von Trapp

27. BWood

BWood Crusader (726) Jan 4, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Right now lagunitas high west ified. $15 a 6 pack for 12% ba stout that is absolutely amazing.

28. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (1,805) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

SN Celebration, SN Torpedo, SN Pale Ale.

In that order.

/Close thread.

29. Boblemo

Boblemo Aspirant (203) Jan 30, 2015 Iowa

Lagunitas 12th of never.

30. Muss42

Muss42 Disciple (329) Mar 7, 2015 Michigan

To quote so many.. high westified 6 packs

31. stratusjeans

stratusjeans Aspirant (247) Oct 11, 2014 Washington
    Beer Trader

This one

32. MusicBeer_1961

MusicBeer_1961 Initiate (178) Feb 23, 2014 Nebraska

For all the double IPA's, Stouts and barrel aged beers I enjoy and seek out regularly.. I'll always come back to my best value beer- picking up a six pack of Franziskaner Weissbeir for only $8.99 is not only value; but you get a world class version of the style and at 5%, you can knock a few back early, not feel wasted.. Then finish your night with one or 2 of the big boys (10-12%)..

Peace...

33. JmurphylovessAmadams

JmurphylovessAmadams Initiate (129) Feb 25, 2015 Illinois

Pipeworks Ninja-unicorn Dipa 4 pack cans for 11.49 is great when you compare it to Surly Abrasive which is just very slightly better but 6$ more. Founders Breakfast Stout $8.99 4 pack.

34. Davidstan

Davidstan Disciple (305) May 24, 2014 Alabama
    Beer Trader

Session Lager 12pk for 9.99

35. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (726) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I would kill for this being available to me without trading.

My vote is anything Anchor/Sierra Nevada/New Glarus/Baderbrau/Metropolitan/Lazy Monk/Schell's. It's ironic that more than half of those are primarily lager brewers, and lagers are generally more difficult to do correctly and take longer than most ales, yet somehow they're cheaper.

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace is an excellent deal for quality and alcohol content vs. price.

Also, many English/German/Czech imports. Weihenstephaner is around $8-9 a sixer. Czechvar is $7-8. Ayinger 4-packs are around $8 ($9-10 for Celebrator is absurd). Pilsner Urquell for $5/4x16oz is amazing. Andechs anything for $3.49/500ml. Spaten regular or Optimator for $8. Hofbrau for $9. Fullers anything for $8/4x330ml. Considering import taxes, those prices are extremely charitable.

On the flipside, I don't see why Koelsches seem more expensive. Reissdorf and Gaffel are both very pricey (~$12/4- or 6-pack, respectively) compared to the German beers listed above. Jever is another that's delicious but way too expensive (and consequently never fresh).

#115 THANAT0PSIS, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Boblemo and lic217 like this.
  36. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (726) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I don't really think NvU and Abrasive are that similar. NvU is much sweeter (even in the reformulated cans) and decidedly "Midwestern" in execution. Abrasive is dry and very West Coast.

Boblemo and NotHereForGold like this.
  37. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,043) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry Beer Trader

Czech beer
    Zoigl
    Franconian Kellerbier

38. NotHereForGold

NotHereForGold Initiate (196) Feb 3, 2015 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

When comparing how much you pay for some bunk ass beer at a bar/restaurant, any and every package beer is a flippin deal and a half.
    But I would pick Toppling Goliath 4pk 16oz for $8.99 (Sue/Nugget) for my Steal of the Week!

Boblemo likes this.
  39. Davidstan

Davidstan Disciple (305) May 24, 2014 Alabama
    Beer Trader

Von trapp sampler pack. 12 beers, 4 styles, 3 of each. All of them are rediculously well made. !2 pack is usually about $16 out the door...

My only hope for this beer is if AB Inbev buys them. Ironic.

LuskusDelph and lic217 like this.
  40. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Initiate (188) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

I also forgot to add Duclaw's Serum to this list. For a long time, it was $7.99/6er at the local Giant. That was until they noticed the wrong price. Now it's back up to either $11.99 or $12.99 a 6er. A 6er of a decent double IPA under $10 can't be beat, let alone under $8.

MusicBeer_1961 likes this.