Best beer to steam mussels in?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Sharkophile, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharkophile

Sharkophile Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2012 New York

Hello all,

Recently had some mussels simply steamed in water at the beach (enjoyed with a saison) and it got me thinking about steaming mussels in beer at home. I was thinking a Belgian pale ale like Captain Lawrence Liquid Gold would be an ideal beer to steam them in, but was wondering if another style or specific beer would be suitable. I would prefer to have it be a beer sold in 6-packs for a decent price ($9-12).

The method I was thinking was:
    Sautee onion, carrot and celery in butter in a pan.
    Add the beer (hopefully no more than 1 or 2 12 oz bottles depending on how many mussels we have) and some fresh parsley and steam slowly on low heat for 7-8 minutes.

If anybody has any suggestions for other ways of cooking them (perhaps in the oven?) that would be appreciated as well.

2. gregmoscetti

gregmoscetti Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2009 California

Beachwood BBQ goes with Berliner weisse. I think any light wheat beer will work well though...

3. sailorastro

sailorastro Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2011 Connecticut

halo21 and Sharkophile like this.
  4. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2010 Oklahoma

I've steamed mussels in gose, gueze, dubbel, and saison before. Each a little different. All came out exceptional.

Sharkophile likes this.
  5. leedorham

leedorham Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

Are you adding the beer/water when steaming? I always just steam shellfish in its own liquid with some butter. Heat skillet, melt butter, add mussels, then cover. I find that gives them better texture and flavor.

If I want to use wine/beer to deglaze I remove the mussels or clams from the skillet first, then dump the sauce over them before serving.

6. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,349) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Your Belgian Pale Ale choice sounds great, I like using those and bigger Belgian Pale Ales tripels etc... mmm goodness.. I don't steam (use a steamer) it just all goes in the pot with adding stuff at certain times first.

Love cooking shelfish cause it's such a quick and tasty meal.

7. oglmcdgl

oglmcdgl Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2007 Pennsylvania

I've done a ton of mussels in beer in my day and have found that you can use a wide variety of brews. You can go as plain as pbr or as serious as a killer gueuze. What you need to keep in mind is you want mussels and beer not beer and mussels. Don't over shadow the product with the brew.

8. Mohican88

Mohican88 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Ohio

Hennepin and Witte have worked well for me!

halo21 likes this.
  9. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2005 New York

I like to use Lindemans Cuvee Rene. A decently priced gueuze that you won't feel bad about pouring into your steam pot....and if you use a 750ml, that generally leaves you enough for a nice glass pour.

Oh, and the mussels will taste pretty amazing too.

10. RTrain12

RTrain12 Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2010 Illinois

Gumball Head, just like they do at Three Floyd's brew pub. My wife made them once and they turned out real good!

11. Augustiner719

Augustiner719 Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2008 Massachusetts

any lighter styled beer will work basically. I like to use wit's, hefeweizens, pilseners, and saisons that are not too hoppy. I find that the lighter styled beers like these really sing with seafood as a pairing and really work well when cooking with them too. you can experiment but please, when cooking the mussels it should be on high heat and it should take no more than 3 minutes in a covered pan. the second they open you should take them off the heat and then serve how you like them. Over cooking mussels makes them rubbery and tough. Best of luck!

Sharkophile likes this.
  12. Sharkophile

Hmmmm. Maybe I won't slow steam then. And it would appear that a cheap one could work too. A friend of mine also suggested doing a batch of mussels steamed in Sapporo with some asian ingredients tossed in.

The recipe was:
    Sautee bell pepper, scallions, and ginger in butter w a bit of sesame oil
    Toss in mussels, add a can of Sapporo with a dash of soy sauce

And enjoy.

I'm liking the diversity of options though with this kinda meal :slight_smile:

13. markmiller

markmiller Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2010 New York

From a local Gastro Pub, Blue Monk:

Delirium Tremens

Strong Golden/Pale Ale with smoked chorizo, potato, charred tomato and poblano peppers

Ommegang Hennepin

Farmhouse Ale with leeks, bacon, bleu cheese and garlic

Ommegang Witte

Witte with lemon, leeks, garlic, parsley and cream

dmeadows and Sharkophile like this.
  14. tylermains

tylermains Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2010 Kentucky

15. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Poo-Bah (3,999) Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Society Trader

Gueuze is what I like to use, preferably Cuvee Rene. I also had good results with a cheap sauvignon blanc.

16. EricCioe

EricCioe Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2010 Montana

The Revolution Pub does it in their porter, and they are excellent. Very different than most of the suggestions here, but worth a shot.

Sharkophile likes this.
  17. Sharkophile

Oooh, dark beer steamed mussels you say? That's a possibility indeed.

18. travMI13

travMI13 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

I've had mussels steamed in a wide variety of beers, including Wittekerke, Saison Dupont, and Duchesse de Bourogne. I've thoroughly enjoyed them all, but I really like mussels... and beer.

19. sailorastro

sailorastro Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2011 Connecticut

Got a recipe here for "Ommegang Mussels", courtesy of the vacation brochure for Cooperstown NY:

"In a medium lidded pan, saute 1 small onion chopped fine, with 3 stalks of celery chopped fine in 2 Tbsp. olive oil. When soft, ass 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley, 1 Tbsp.cilantro and 1/2 Tbsp. tarragon. Sautee for one more minute. Add 1 cup Witte and 3 dozen mussels and bring to a boil. Continue to cook until all mussels are open. Do not overcook. A few minutes should be enough. Let rest for several minutes. Serve with grilled bread and Ommegand Witte or Hennepin ale."

20. mltobin

mltobin Poo-Bah (1,913) Apr 1, 2007 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Hoegaarden or Tank 7 work well.

Sharkophile likes this.
  21. syu3003

syu3003 Initiate (0) May 4, 2011 Michigan

if you really want the belgian to come out, id try soaking them in st bernardus abt 12 pre cook, and when they open up at the end of the steam douse them again in a bath of the beer before you eat them to stop the cooking, youll get em really sweet and delicious.

Sharkophile likes this.
  22. jp7161

jp7161 Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2011 California

I love steamed mussels. My go to recipe is lots of garlic, one bottle of fat tire, one stick butter and a touch of saffron.

Amazing everytime

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.